Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 14,799 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in leonardtown, we would be moving from michigan and I am nervous about moving to such a small town not knowing much about it.
is it clean and pretty or a dumpier town? anyone know what the elementary schools are like? reccommend any in particular? is it a safe place for me and my 2 boys. can we take a walk in the evenings and be safe so to speak. i couldnt find any of the larger chain department stores nearby, like walmart or target, or shopping centers etc..couldnt even find a grocery store. wondering how far we will be from these conviences.
Also, perhaps we would be better off for my husband to work in leonardtown but live say on solomons island or in huntingtown? I so appreciate any advice you have.I am such an overprotective mother and this is causing me great stress, to move sight unseen to a new town. I so look forward to reading your replies, will probably check back hrly...lol
God bless
melina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
It is very nice for a small Southern Maryland town - here is a web page

The Official Site of Leonardtown, Maryland

Old 09-18-2007, 02:49 PM

250 posts, read 1,378,099 times
Default Leonardtown

Leonardtown is a pretty nice area. Solomons Island is a bit of a hike from amenities, but a beautiful area to live. I would guess that you may want to consider somewhere like California, MD. From there you're about 5 miles from Leonardtown in one direction and then 5 miles in the other direction would take you to Lexington Park, which is very convenient for shopping and so forth. The drive from Lexington Park to Leonardtown is about 15-20 minutes, so if that's not too much of a commute, you may want to consider that. If you need any assistance finding a place to live or getting better oriented to the area, let me know and I will be more than happy to assist.

Jonathan Benya
Realtor
Century 21 New Millennium
Team Benya

Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Default teambenya

ty for the imput. as for the housing, we were only interested in renting at this time till we know if we want to set roots down there. Are you in a position to help with rentals as well or were you referring only to buying a home?

I will be looking up rentals in california and lexington park tonight, thanks for the tip

Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 AM

Here is some info from a friend of mine who lives there:

"They are very nice apartments, nice area, close to a grocery store, BJ's, basically everything there is in this area.

http://www.apartmentsofwildewood.com/

You can also direct her to www.somd.com, it's the local "online" community plus it has a classified section, in the family section on the forums she can ask about schools."

Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 AM

grasonville, thanks for the links they were so helpful and have given me some great leads to follow up on. especially liked the apts of wildewood. so thanks again!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherethewindblows View Post
grasonville, thanks for the links they were so helpful and have given me some great leads to follow up on. especially liked the apts of wildewood. so thanks again!
Glad to help

Also - should they not have a vacancy that quickly - ask them for a suggested alternative - chances are their management company handles multiple locations in the same area.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 AM

12 posts, read 38,254 times
Default Leonardtowne is a family friendly place

Hi, I totally understand your fears but RELAX! Leonardtowne is one of the safest places in the USA that I know of.

THere are plenty of stores close by within 5 miles. There is Walmart that is newly remodeled, Target, Old Navy, Penneys, a new Tuesday morning, and Marshalls.

We have plenty of things to do the St. Marys Fair is this weekend.

I would love to meet you and show you around. I have connections that can help you find a home or rent.

Let me know I will be happy to help you!

Old 09-20-2007, 06:56 AM

12 posts, read 38,254 times
Default you can contact me at wandadigennaro@aol.com

I will be happy to help you out. I moved here from Baltimore about 2 years ago.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 AM

770 posts, read 3,681,018 times
My husband and I looked into Leonardtown also. It seems to be a very nice area. A little bit isolated, compared to where I am now but nice. From what I have heard most of the places are nice down there except for Pax River and LExington PArk. I checked out the schools and they are decent. Here is the website I used when I look at the schools in the area: GreatSchools.net Type in Leonardtown, MD at the top and it will give you a list of the schools, their ratings, the student enviroment, teacher enviroment and test scores. They have a place for students and teachers to write a review, however do not read too much into them. Some parents have a bad experience, come to the internet to vent. Now if you see a great deal of bad reviews on one school and the ratings seem to go hand and hand then I would take them serious. Good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland