Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 06:52 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I failed my inspection today due to tinted windows and "failed tag lights." I took that at face value and drove home, but upon checking my tag lights they do turn on. Does anyone have any idea what they failed me for? I went out and bought new bulbs before I checked, and now I don't even know if that's the issue.

Also, I'm unsure if my tinted windows were fairly judged. I bought the car used, with windows already tinted, but I believe they were factory tinted. Yet they gave me a "Post Manufacture Window Tint Inspection Report" that said my windows allowed less than 35% light in. I had replaced my windshield 2 weeks ago, and it's not tinted at all-could this have let to a misunderstanding? Are factory tints judged differently than after-market?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Your windshield isn't the problem, esp if it isn't tinted.

Here's the thing with tint in MD. It order to be legal, 35% of light must pass through the glass. This means that the combined after-market tinting AND the natural reflectivity of the glass must not create a total blockage of more than 65%. Since you have no idea how much tint you have on your car since you bought it used, you may need to call up a tint shop to get it checked out to see whether the tint is factory or not. If you are coming from another state, MD is quite stringent with vehicle inspections.

Also, authorities have tricks and ways of determining whether the amount of tint is illegal or not. This is some THEY only know about and maybe the tint shops may know too.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I'm unsure if my tinted windows were fairly judged.
They don't just guess at it... they use real meters and stuff: window tint meters

Call a couple of the tinting shops to see if they have similar meters...
and maybe get another reading to use as a basis to complain.
(ask about removing the tint while on the phone)

If your tag light is working now then you're good to go at the re-inspection.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
Thanks for the input.

The thing is, the front seat windows are less tinted than the back seat and rear windows. This, combined with the fact that the rear 3 windows have some "peel-off" of the tint film and the front windows have none of this, makes me suspect that the front side windows are factory tint and the rear ones are after market. In which case, I'd remove the aftermarket and keep the factory tint as that's supposed to be legal.

Is taking it to a tint shop my only option? I'd actually like to remove it myself but I'm not even sure which is factory or aftermarket. And not even knowing that suggests that I should probably get someone to do it since I don't have a clue.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Go to a tint shop. It's a bit of a hassle to take it out and sometimes it leaves out a mess if you screw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland