Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Maryland is culturally:
Northeastern 14 63.64%
Southeastern 11 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

It's rich and prestigious, like the northeast, and unlike the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
My GF, who's a Georgia native says Maryland is nothing like the south. I personally think that there is a big difference between Maryland and anything from Richmond south.
The same argument can be used to show that Maryland is nothing like the north. If you ask a native from New Hampshire, Vermont, or Rhode Island, they would likely say Maryland is nothing like the north. You would also likely say there is a big difference between Maryland and anything north of the NYC metro area, just as you think there is a big difference between Maryland and anything south of Richmond in the other direction. That argument works both ways.

Last edited by personone; 09-17-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 02:52 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
When my oldest daughter went to college in western PA she was teased for her Southern accent.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's rich and prestigious, like the northeast, and unlike the South.
Once you get away from the I-95 corridor, all of that goes away. Go over to the Eastern Shore. It is very much like the North Carolina coastal area. Head out to western Maryland. Rich and prestigious isn't a phrase I'd use to describe that area. Normally priced homes and blue collar rule the land out there.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Once you get away from the I-95 corridor, all of that goes away. Go over to the Eastern Shore. It is very much like the North Carolina coastal area. Head out to western Maryland. Rich and prestigious isn't a phrase I'd use to describe that area. Normally priced homes and blue collar rule the land out there.
The above is the center of much of the argument. What many people, even many residents, know of the state is just the DC/Baltimore corridor. Many have never been out of it and, if they have, it's been on the way to somewhere else like Ocean City (I'll include Delaware since OC is apparently too déclassé for some) and they really didn't pay attention to what they were driving through.

That's one reason why when rural pioneers move to the Eastern Shore or Southern Maryland many have serious adjustment problems. They only know what living in a rural area means from magazine articles and TV.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's one reason why when rural pioneers move to the Eastern Shore or Southern Maryland many have serious adjustment problems. They only know what living in a rural area means from magazine articles and TV.
I forget about Southern Maryland sometimes. It's my understanding that much of Calvert County has already been lost to the Yankees. Is that true?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I forget about Southern Maryland sometimes. It's my understanding that much of Calvert County has already been lost to the Yankees. Is that true?

Yes and no. Calvert is still mostly rural. Had to pass a Right to Farm law. Growth has really slowed finally and with the new State regulations it will slow even more.

A lot of people have moved here and become frustrated because there are no Whole Foods/stand alone Starbucks/Nigerian restaurants, etc. and have left. Others just adapt and ***** and moan occasionally. There is still a lot of friction with hunting and fishing, though.

The population is still mostly blue collar which a lot of the so called professionals who've moved here have trouble wrapping their heads around. They tend to look just at their neighbors and never venture off RTE 4 to the old roads.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Both, albeit leaning towards Northeastern. Eye agree with a previous poster that there needs to be a third option.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:26 PM

37 posts, read 41,910 times
I lived in DC for many years and a few years in Gaithersburg, MD. I did the bar scene in DC and Baltimore. Just using that for one measurement...Baltimore is much more friendly than DC, somewhat more down to earth, if you will. DC is more plastic, more pretentious, but a fun fun city...I enjoyed living there. DC has so much more to do as far as I am concerned than Baltimore (however, in all fairness, I never spent much time there except restaurants and bars).

Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John123_456_789 View Post
I lived in DC for many years and a few years in Gaithersburg, MD. I did the bar scene in DC and Baltimore. Just using that for one measurement...Baltimore is much more friendly than DC, somewhat more down to earth, if you will. DC is more plastic, more pretentious, but a fun fun city...I enjoyed living there. DC has so much more to do as far as I am concerned than Baltimore (however, in all fairness, I never spent much time there except restaurants and bars).
"Plastic" in what way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland