Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times

Advertisements

Why are so many Marylanders buying land/houses in the Finger Lakes of upstate, western NY? I lived in a small town in the Finger lakes Area for 6 years and saw tons and tons of Maryland plates. A lot of these people actually had houses/camps. I asked one Marylander that came in where I work why purchase in the upstate, western New York. The answer was that there was a lot of affordable land and houses there, unlike Maryland. I didn't realize Maryland was that expensive. What about western Maryland, surely there must be cheap affordable houses/land there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Interesting, I haven't heard of anyone doing such. We really have only one recreational lake of any size; it's man-made and there's already plenty of tourist development.

The finger lakes are 4-6 hours from the metro areas, considerably cooler, beautiful - why not?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
It would interesting to know if the Marylanders you meet are natives or transplants. I will offer the hypothesis that the Marylanders that buy in the up-state New York are most likely transplants from states like NJ or NY that are more familiar with that area than they are with the hinterlands of their new state. Besides, it is a good 3.5 hours to Deep Creek Lake (Maryland's only "big" lake) from D.C. and Baltimore proper. If the Finger Lakes are only 4-6 hours away, the extra drive time is probably not a big deal.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
If you can get to the Finger Lakes in 6 hours from much of MD I'd like to ride along. From Upper Marlboro it takes me about 5-6 hours get to Brookville, PA, that's without a traffic burp in Frederick, and another 2 hours to get to the PA/NY border right below the lakes. I just recently learned the speed limit signs you see aren't minimums.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
From Harrisburg it takes me about the same time to get to Corning, NY as it does to Brockway, PA. One more hour from Corning gets you on nearly any Finger Lakes shore except Skaneateles and Otisco.

Also the western FLX is as close to Baltimore as to NY City if not more so. In most places the first hill south of each Finger Lake is the drainage break with the Susquehanna River basin: on I-81 in NY the divide is halfway between Cortland and Syracuse.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you can get to the Finger Lakes in 6 hours from much of MD I'd like to ride along. From Upper Marlboro it takes me about 5-6 hours get to Brookville, PA, that's without a traffic burp in Frederick, and another 2 hours to get to the PA/NY border right below the lakes. I just recently learned the speed limit signs you see aren't minimums.
Just going by google. I only rode up that way once, to Rochester. Can't remember how long it took.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
I've lived in MD for 60 years, and only heard of one person from here ever retiring to NY State. Doesn't NY State have THE highest property taxes in the country ?

For retirees looking to live near a lake, wouldn't it make more sense to retire to one of the many Federal TVA-created reservoirs in VA, NC, SC, TN, KY, or GA - some of which have the bonus of being close to cities/ universities such as Knoxville, Durham, Charlotte, Clemson SC, Athens GA, Columbia SC, Huntsville AL, Murray KY.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I've lived in MD for 60 years, and only heard of one person from here ever retiring to NY State. Doesn't NY State have THE highest property taxes in the country ?

For retirees looking to live near a lake, wouldn't it make more sense to retire to one of the many Federal TVA-created reservoirs in VA, NC, SC, TN, KY, or GA - some of which have the bonus of being close to cities/ universities such as Knoxville, Durham, Charlotte, Clemson SC, Athens GA, Columbia SC, Huntsville AL, Murray KY.
I think it would make more sense for people to retire where they wish to do so. Climate matters to folks.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Why are so many Marylanders buying land/houses in the Finger Lakes of upstate, western NY?
hint: It's not for the winter weather or the job prospects.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM

77 posts, read 294,010 times
The wonderful plethora of wineries is probably an attraction too! Being a native WNYer myself that now live in Maryland I can say that Maryland doesn't really have anything in comparison to the Finger Lakes. Keuka is by far my favorite lake! So gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland