Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 PM

70 posts, read 273,546 times

Advertisements

So, I realize that I must "stay away" from Baltimore county... but If I choose not to, I have seen that Towson is a pretty nice place. Again, my fiance and I are teachers- no children, we will be newlyweds when we move next summer. So now my new question is this: Are the surrounding areas of Towson also okay to live in? My question is based on hotpads.com... I see Pikesville, Mays Chapel, Lutherville-Timonium, Cockeysville, Hampton, Carney, and Parkville to name a few... So basically anything near Towson.

I'm asking because I am not sure how the borders work around Baltimore... I have seen on this forum that safety, etc. may vary by city block.

Also-last thing- I am moving from Michigan so I know nothing

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:23 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Stay away from Baltimore CITY, unless you do enough research to find the "nice" parts of town. In Baltimore COUNTY most places are suburby and fine places to live. Price will be your biggest problem there. All of the places you listed would be great places to live. I am sure someone with more knowlege of the area can tell you if there any specific neighborhoods to stay away from.

I lived in Towson for a year, and it was alot of fun. A walkable downtown, lots of shopping, nice cultural things. I would recommend it if the suburbs are your thing

Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 PM

westsideboy,

Any apartment and/or school reccomendations for Towson? We are going to visit in August

Suburbs are fine for living, as long as there is something to do within 15 minutes

Thank you for your reply-helpful as usual!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM

I have a friend that works at Dulaney Valley High in Timonium. She seems to like it there. I don't know right off hand what elementary or middle schools feed into it.

When I lived in Towson I lived on Epson Rd. near Goucher College. My friend and I rented a condo from some older guy that sounded just like Foghorn Leghorn. Towson has a lot of stuff to do, and if you live close to "the circle", where York, Joppa, and Dulaney Valley Rd. meet. you can walk to nearly every kind of shopping you need to do.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM

131 posts, read 648,293 times
I lived in the Baltimore Maryland metro area for over 12 years, including 9 years in BALTIMORE CITY, AND I LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT. Although there are a FEW decent neighborhoods in BALTIMORE CITY, I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM BALTIMORE CITY. The crime is absolutely horrible, and the homicide rate averages about 260 per year(I don't recall the exact figure). When I lived in Baltimore City from Jan 1990 to Jan 1999, the homicide rate averaged about 300 per year. My advice to you is to check out TOWSON, LUTHERVILE-TIMONIUM, COCKEYSVILLE AND HUNT VALLEY, but it isn't going to be cheap if you choose to reside in one of those areas. During my last 3 1/2 years of residence in the area, I lived in DUNDALK (Baltimore County). When I was living there, the crime was not so bad(I had NO PROBLEMS) and the residential areas were very nice for the most part, and I understand that more housing has been built in Dundalk since I left, so you might want to check it out. But forget about Baltimore City as a place of residence, but do check out the Inner Harbor.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 PM

The inner harbor is in Baltimore City, though... anyway, I am not planning to live in the inner city as I stated above...I AM looking at all the places I listed, aka, Towson. Thank you for the responses and concern It is very much appreciated.

Westside boy--In the inner circle, are there any apt. reccomendations you could give? Also, I assume even though it is in the center of Towson, it's still safe?

thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 AM

Sorry, I don't know any specific apartments I would recommend. I found my place from a private condo owner just looking in the Baltimore Sun Classifieds and calling him up.

The circle in Towson was very safe when I was there about 6 years ago. I assume it still is now.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 AM

78 posts, read 404,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaGM08 View Post
So, I realize that I must "stay away" from Baltimore county... but If I choose not to, I have seen that Towson is a pretty nice place. Again, my fiance and I are teachers- no children, we will be newlyweds when we move next summer. So now my new question is this: Are the surrounding areas of Towson also okay to live in? My question is based on hotpads.com... I see Pikesville, Mays Chapel, Lutherville-Timonium, Cockeysville, Hampton, Carney, and Parkville to name a few... So basically anything near Towson.

I'm asking because I am not sure how the borders work around Baltimore... I have seen on this forum that safety, etc. may vary by city block.

Also-last thing- I am moving from Michigan so I know nothing

Thanks!!!
Who told you to stay away from Baltimore county!!! I can speak for Towson (I grew up there)and Catonsville(lived here for 25 years). Both are safe, convenient, good schools, nice places to live. If you go to areas N of Towson(Cockeysville, Timonium etc) you will find more apts and the area becomes real suburban. Lots of large apt complexes, shopping malls etc. Not my preference but others seem to enjoy it. Towson itself has a nice feel to it(small city feel). Local street shopping, a mall, colleges, movies etc. There's a movement to close OR slow down traffic through the center of town(circle). Let bikes and peds onto York rd. It would be great if this were to happen but don't bet on it.
Charlie

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 PM

131 posts, read 648,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaGM08 View Post
The inner harbor is in Baltimore City, though... anyway, I am not planning to live in the inner city as I stated above...I AM looking at all the places I listed, aka, Towson. Thank you for the responses and concern It is very much appreciated.

Westside boy--In the inner circle, are there any apt. reccomendations you could give? Also, I assume even though it is in the center of Towson, it's still safe?

thanks!
Hi, when I mentioned the Inner Harbor, I did not intend to recommend it as a place for you to live. I mentioned it solely as a place to visit and hang out. It is quite a tourist attraction. There are residential areas down there by the harbor, but they are super expensive. Sorry for the misunderstanding and best wishes to you.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Rickrich,
Thanks! I understand, the inner harbor is definatley a great place to visit-I've been there We definately cannot afford anything down there, haha. newlyweds just out of college if that tells you anything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland