Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Louisiana and was satisfied with our roads down there. Having Louisiana roads and Louisiana tax levels is FAR SUPERIOR to Maryland roads with the new Maryland gas tax rates. Also New Orleans was not subsidized by Shreveport and Baton Rouge to the extent Baltimore City and Montgomery County/ PGC are subsidized by the Baltimore suburbs, the Eastern Shore, and Western Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 01:01 AM

Most of the welfare in Maryland goes to Baltimore City and PG County, not many goes to rural Maryland. And rural Maryland would be doing better with the liberal laws and regulations that hamper its businesses and industries.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Montgomery County is almost completely dependent on federal government jobs and spending which will be affected by the sequester. There is almost no private sector business there that is not related to government contracting.
1) Sequesteratian has been going on for a month now. So far, no ill effects in MoCo.

2) There are plenty of private sector jobs in MoCo. Here's a list: Montgomery County - Major Employer Lists - Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning

2) There are a million people in MoCo now - about 1/6 of the entire population of the state. The median income is over $90k per household. Even if some of the population is furloughed, the number of people and high income level is not going to change our contributions to Annapolis.

You need to start getting some facts and not just making **** up. You sound like Fox News.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70
Most of the welfare in Maryland goes to Baltimore City and PG County, not many goes to rural Maryland.
I'm not going to deny that Baltimore and PG are huge drains on the MD economy, but you seem to forget that almost 30% of rural families in MD are on WIC and over 20% are on food stamps. Compared to the money that these counties provide in tax revenue, they get way more back. Montgomery gets money back for state roads, but we pay for our schools and public services through the county budget. And with regards to infrastructure, clearly the DC area is going to get the most money because we have the most people and the most roads.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
I used to live in Louisiana and was satisfied with our roads down there. Having Louisiana roads and Louisiana tax levels is FAR SUPERIOR to Maryland roads with the new Maryland gas tax rates. Also New Orleans was not subsidized by Shreveport and Baton Rouge to the extent Baltimore City and Montgomery County/ PGC are subsidized by the Baltimore suburbs, the Eastern Shore, and Western Maryland.

Gas tax in Louisiana is not that far off from Maryland and the new gas tax is not in effect yet. Louisiana receives more federal funding than they give back so basically Shreveport and Baton Rouge is subsidized by the rest of the country.

Louisiana gets more in federal aid than it gives in taxes | NOLA.com
Louisiana | Tax Foundation

Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
Maryland is failing as a state. PG county is in shambles, and voters should be ashamed.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
It's not even that. It's demographics. Maryland is 30% Black and 95% vote Dem year in and year out so all the Dems have to do is win about 30% of everyone else and statewide elections are theirs. Last year these issues passed simply because of Obama. When he announced his support for gay marriage Blacks shifted their views 20 points.

It may shock people here but Romney won 55% of the White vote in MD one of the best performances for a GOP candidate among MD Whites since Reagan.

Quote:
Maryland's voters are the STUPIDIST in the nation. And have their priorities all messed up. I have a feeling that a lot of people didn't like the Democrats' tax raising crusade, but voted for them as a trade off in order to support gay marriage and to promote abortion and illegal immigration. Many members of Maryland's liberal elite voted against their economic self interest in order to defend abortion and gay marriage and to support illegal immigration. Yes we are as radical left as to actually approve the illegal alien Dream Act by popular vote. Its a shame gay marriage had to become an issue. I met gay people here who shared with me their hatred for taxes and illegal immigrants, and who testified together with me in Annapolis against O'Malley's crusade against American values and our God ordained 2nd amendment rights to self defense and to own weapons.

If someone ACTUALLY SUPPORTS teh gas tax increase, the income tax increase, the alcohol tax increase or the toll hikes they are either from Montgomery County (which benefits from being subsidized by rural Maryland especially with the gas tax and mass transit) or they belong in the nuthouse. Personally I will never vote for someone who will increase my taxes. That is just simple common sense. Yes other issues like abortion and illegal immigration do matter a lot to me but in general I tend to vote against anyone who supports tax increases. Maryland is probably the only state where the Democrats can raise this many taxes and still win elections. Even liberal New Jersey has a conservative governor now. Even liberal California and liberal Massachusetts had Republican governors. Too bad in California Arnold hasn't been able to lower that many taxes their sales tax is still ridiculous as is their gas tax.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Since jurisdictions in MD can tax income as well how much direct state funding do jurisdictions receive?i guess my point is MD isn't as federalist as the USA government where each state is taxed the same at federal level..
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
1) Sequesteratian has been going on for a month now. So far, no ill effects in MoCo.

2) There are plenty of private sector jobs in MoCo. Here's a list: Montgomery County - Major Employer Lists - Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning

2) There are a million people in MoCo now - about 1/6 of the entire population of the state. The median income is over $90k per household. Even if some of the population is furloughed, the number of people and high income level is not going to change our contributions to Annapolis.

You need to start getting some facts and not just making **** up. You sound like Fox News.

I'm not going to deny that Baltimore and PG are huge drains on the MD economy, but you seem to forget that almost 30% of rural families in MD are on WIC and over 20% are on food stamps. Compared to the money that these counties provide in tax revenue, they get way more back. Montgomery gets money back for state roads, but we pay for our schools and public services through the county budget. And with regards to infrastructure, clearly the DC area is going to get the most money because we have the most people and the most roads.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Oh yes and Atlanta and Dallas are expected to pay for their own mass transit, even Northern Virginia does.....but Montgomery County and Baltimore City are subsidized by rural Marylanders.
Northern Virginia does not pay for its own transit. Check out who funded the Silver line construction. That's just one example. Remember when Phase 2 into Loudoun County was nearly dropped because The state was considering not funding it? It's the same thing as in Maryland.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Northern Virginia does not pay for its own transit. Check out who funded the Silver line construction. That's just one example. Remember when Phase 2 into Loudoun County was nearly dropped because The state was considering not funding it? It's the same thing as in Maryland.
It was not right for Dulles Toll Road users to fund the Silver LIne that's for sure however I think the Dulles Toll Road is still mostly Northern Virginia users and not so much money funneled from Blacksburg or Grundy County into NOVA. I've heard that rural Virginia also gets very little road money back from the state but I think thats because of NOVA's massive highway needs not their mass transit. And yes both Maryland and Virginia parts of the DC region SHOULD be expected to pay for ALL of its mass transit costs through local taxes. But at least Virginia is using SALES taxes to fund mass transit which is more fair since even mass transit users who don't drive will be paying for their own transportation as they should. Even illegal immigrants have to pay sales tax.

And I always like to remind people of how taxes in Cumberland, MD are MUCH higher than a few blocks away in Ridgeley, WV just because Moco and Baltimore City have all these needs that Charleston and Morgantown do not.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Wow the rightwingers in MD dont try anymore. Hillary will most likely be the 2016 nominee. Right wingers fortunately arent bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland