Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 20,886 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are looking to relocate from Baltimore County (White Marsh) to an area with a good school system and a strong sense of community. Neither of us are originally from Maryland so we're finding this next move to difficult as we'd like to find somewhere to settle down. We're both from different parts of New England and miss the charm and friendliness of our home towns.

We are considering Ellicott City and possibly Eldersburg and Mt. Airy. One of the problems is affordability vs. commute. We're looking for an updated single family home and would love to stay under 400k- 450k, but both commute to Baltimore City. With a baby we don't want to spend our whole lives commuting but it seems that we'd have to consider Carroll County to stay within that price range for an updated home.

I'm curious what it's like to live in Mt. Airy. We plan to spend some time there soon but I thought I'd check in here for some initial thoughts. We would only purchase a home within a short drive to amenities such as grocery stores, parks etc. The neighborhoods we're looking at are a few miles North of 70 and close to Main Street.

Any thoughts on Mt. Airy or comments on EC, Eldersburg, or other recommendations welcome and appreciated! We're at the very beginning of this process and are just trying to gather some information. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Well what do you know, you stick around long enough and a thread falls into your wheelhouse.

I have to start by saying we do not have kids so you will need to research the schools. Another factor is Mount Airy is right at the border of 4 counties, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery and Carroll. So the schools will obviously depend on where the home is. We actually live in Woodbine, one exit east of Mt. Airy, right over the county line in Carroll County. I was pleased with this as the taxes are way less than across the river in Howard County.

I can talk in general terms though. We moved here 12 years after I spent most of my life in Montgomery County, just prior to here we lived in Laurel for a decade. Quite honestly other than marrying my wife it was the best decision I have ever made. It's a perfect combination of small town feel with beautiful rolling country side (and mountain views from town) while still having most of the conveniences you need. There are enough good restaurants to keep us happy. The only thing lacking are movie theaters and "real" shopping other than Walmert and grocery. But alas Frederick is 20 minutes away. Main Street has a great bistro and other good restaurants. There is a Safeway, a Weiss and a Food Lion for basic stuff for cheap.

What struck me first was how friendly everyone was. Gotta admit I was a bit concerned about how we would fit in, I mean I am the ONLY guy at the Citgo with a tie on. But the working guy with the dirty flannel shirt will nearly always hold the door for me with a smile and that is very important to me. Crime is virtually non-existent. We have locked our doors exactly twice, while on vacation, and that was before we got German Shepherds.

As for housing the median home prices here are high. But I'm thinking the million dollar homes in Challedon throw off the figures. There are plenty of more affordable homes in the area that I would think would fit your budget. Many are close to parks, there is a neighborhood on Watersville road just east of 27, Nottingham I believe it's called, that would be a good place to look. It's close, though not walking distance, to Watkins Park. On the west side of town there is a HUGE new park right off of 144 on the way to New Market. I believe there are neighborhoods close by there too. I don't mean to prejudice you but Eldersburg is witnessing urban sprawl big time. It is not the charming small town that Mount Airy is any longer. Ellicott City is nice as well but it's the burbs, Mount Airy is not. The ride to Baltimore City from here is not that bad. It gets backed up on 70 as you approach the beltway but if you bail on 29 there is an alternate route. I'd say 30-45 minutes tops. The ride home is much better, after the initial backup near the beltway and a mile or 2 outside on 70 it's clear sailing and a very pretty drive.

Good luck and feel free to write me, here or in PM, if you have any other questions. See you at the Safeway!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Another neighborhood I forgot about is Christie Acres, just off of Main Street on the north end of town. Walking distance to the library by the way.

Not sure what size home you are looking for but here is one for $349 that looks pretty nice. I'll also include the search results for the site I use, Zillow. You may need to register to view it but it's a great site and registration is free.

6603 Christy Acres Ct, Mount Airy, MD 21771 - Zillow

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...09_rect/11_zm/

Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM

Thank you, Dave for the detailed replies! We took a drive to Mt. Airy on Sunday- what a beautiful place! We loved the feel and were struck by how nice the people were. We stopped for a quick lunch at Chipotle and the family next to us struck up a conversation which was so refreshing.

Although the drive was beautiful our main concern is that the commute will cut down on time spent with our little one as his bed time is 7pm. There's something comforting about working closer to home and his daycare. If we had access to a helicopter, I'd pick Mt. Airy in a second! It's amazing how much further the dollar goes for housing in Mt. Airy.

I'll be sure to be in touch with any additional questions and thank you for your feedback on Eldersburg and Ellicott City too. We'll continue to explore areas and I'm sure I'll be back to the forum with more questions.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 AM

If you like the area you owe it to yourself to do a test drive for the commute. That's what I did. Try to make arrangements and leave work and drive to Mt. Airy just to see when you arrive "home" before closing out the idea.

If you want your son to grow up in a very safe area with great people then you owe it to yourself and your family to keep an open mind. I hear you on the daycare but this and his 7:00 bedtime are temporary. If you are thinking schools then you are obviously thinking long term and asking yourself where would be the best place to raise a family. Again not trying to knock the other areas but Mt. Airy will feel much more like home to you. Only warmer.

Go Red Sox!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Hi again Dave,

That's exactly what we plan to do- test drive all of our possible new locations. We're looking at several different areas (and counties) to try to find the area that feels most like home to us. Taking it nice and slow since we're not in a rush.

Go Red Sox, and Boston indeed!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 AM

Well you missed the chili cookoff on Main Street last weekend. It was great fun.

Good lucky Kelley and feel free to write me about Mt. Airy or anywhere else you are considering. Catonsville may also be an area to consider. Everyone I know who has moved there likes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland