Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone !

It is very likely that I will start working in Maryland more precisely Hunt Valley.
I have never been there, the only place I know is Los Angeles CA where I went to high school and I now live in France.

Can anyone suggest a place to live that has easy access to Hunt Valley and is safe/calm, also I might add that I won't be able to buy a car for a few months so I will most likely need to find another way of locomotion.

Also my girlfriend and I, both 20 years old have a feeling that Maryland is dead, I don't know if it's the name or the wikipedia page, I mean no offense, I would very appreciate if you guys could tell me the opposite. We are afraid that we won't like the place for some odd reason and that we will want to move back to France but yeah moving back and forth is not the best idea...

Thanks for reading and for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersushi View Post
Can anyone suggest a place to live that has easy access to Hunt Valley and is safe/calm,
also I might add that I won't be able to buy a car for a few months...
Hunt Valley itself (aka Cockeysville) is a very safe suburban area. What isn't suburban though tends
toward the rural. Horses and working farms. If the job is there plan to live there.

You can travel down to the City for more adventurous outings and culture.
Also... public transit out there is poor. You will NEED to get a car.

Quote:
my girlfriend and I, both 20 years old have a feeling that Maryland is dead...
Dead in what sense?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a place to live that has easy access to Hunt Valley and is safe/calm, also I might add that I won't be able to buy a car for a few months so I will most likely need to find another way of locomotion.
Hunt Valley is really the town of Cockeysville. It is a nice suburban area, and rather spread out. Unless your employer is directly on the bus or light rail line, I would look for an apartment as close to the office as possible. Ask your Human Resources department for suggestions on apartments. Based on the people I have seen in the office parks, there are many young people around. You might also look at Timonium if you can get a bus to your office. There are college students and a bit more entertainment there.

Maryland is not "dead" but it certainly does not have the attractions of California or France.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,407 times
Thank you for your answers, from what I understand the offices are very close to the light rail line.

By dead I mean blair witch project kind of dead, only woods, bad weather and nothing to do. But I just went through the pictures thread and apparently there are some decent places and people ! So that's a relief

I will definetely look into Timonium, thanks for the tip !

I read on many threads that York was also a good idea even though it looks far from Cockeysville.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
from what I understand the offices are very close to the light rail line.
In that case you may be able manage living in Baltimore proper.
But try to avoid anywhere beyond walking distance of the rail line.

Quote:
I read on many threads that York was also a good idea even though it looks far from Cockeysville.
York PA? Wrong direction... and NOT on the light rail line.
Baltimore Light Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
French guy and Maryland-220px-baltimore_light_rail_simple_map.jpg  

Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Thank you for your answers, from what I understand the offices are very close to the light rail line.
......I will definetely look into Timonium, thanks for the tip !

Sorry - I meant Towson which has the college. You certainly do not want to look at York, Pennsylvania without a car.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Also my girlfriend and I, both 20 years old have a feeling that Maryland is dead, I don't know if it's the name or the wikipedia page, I mean no offense, I would very appreciate if you guys could tell me the opposite.
Maryland is a rich and vibrant state. It is "America in miniature" and has pretty much everything you could want - except for the reputation that some other states do, because it is relatively small and not generally well understood by people outside the east coast region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland