Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,678 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are likely moving to easton for work. Mid 30s, no kids. Will want to rent at first. Are there any neighborhoods to avoid? Are there many younger childless couples? I hear a lot about it being for retirees.
In addition, what yearly household income would you think allows for a decent lifestyle in easton? Hard to know if a salary offer is good without knowing the cost of living in area.

Any other advice always welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipsAndSalsa View Post
In addition, what yearly household income would you think allows for a decent lifestyle in easton? Hard to know if a salary offer is good without knowing the cost of living in area.
I would use one of the cost-of-living comparison tools to compare it to your current location. However, be aware that the price of real estate may be skewed by million-dollar water-front estates. Easton is cheaper than Washington DC, but I don't know where you are coming from.

I would look for a newer housing neighborhood (except for the 55+ communities) if you want to be around families.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
If you're an "away from close neighbors" sort there are those houses on the Eastern Shore, also.

Be aware that the Eastern Shore is RURAL, so if you're a trendy coffee shoppe, fusion cuisine, boutiquey person you may be in for a culture shock.

With the exception of those who commute to the Western Shore for work and near Ocean City in the summer, life over on that side of the Chesapeake revolves around farming and its related jobs, working the water, blue collar trades and hunting and fishing.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,663 times
I mostly know young families with kids, so we live outside downtown Easton in small, family-friendly neighborhoods. But downtown could be fun for childless couple to walk to restaurants, bars, shows at the Avalon Theatre, etc. I don't think there are many neighborhoods to avoid.. there are a couple of sketchy streets but that's it.
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids living in Trappe (10 minutes from Easton) on 2 acres and have done ok on as little as $65,000 a year (one income). With 2 incomes you could be taking your boat out to the bars in St. Michaels, hopping over to Ocean City for the weekend, and generally living it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland