Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

hi,
if a Maryland License plate reads 4BL5542, with the BL written vertically, is the license plate 4BL5542, or is it just 45542? In other words, is the vertical two letters in some Maryland license plates, part of the license plate number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 PM

318 posts, read 762,569 times
Your license plate reads out horizontally, so it's with the BL in it.

Once you're satisfied with an answer, I would edit your post and take out your tag number because a person can get all sorts of information on yourself and your vehicle.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
Your license plate reads out horizontally, so it's with the BL in it.

Once you're satisfied with an answer, I would edit your post and take out your tag number because a person can get all sorts of information on yourself and your vehicle.
to be clear, it would read: 4BL5542 ?
and what do you mean a person can get all sorts of info based on the plate number? how?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
and what do you mean a person can get all sorts of info based on the plate number? how?
I have never understood why people say that. I mean why would anybody care about somebody's plate number on a forum? You can walk outside and get thousands of plate numbers any time you want, but you are going to try to run some random plate number from some anonymous poster on a forum? What would be the point? If you knew how to get that info (not sure you really can at least legally), then you get what?, a home address maybe? I would think road rage would cause more people to find a way to run a plate than listing it on some random forum would, but I don't think anybody ever gets a plate number of a person that cuts them off and then goes and runs the plate somehow.

I think you will be okay and yes BL is part of the number.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
hi,
if a Maryland License plate reads 4BL5542, with the BL written vertically, is the license plate 4BL5542, or is it just 45542? In other words, is the vertical two letters in some Maryland license plates, part of the license plate number?

That's one of the newer War of 1812 tags which are standard issue now. Yes, the letters are part of the number.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
To be clear, yes, it would read 4BL5542.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have never understood why people say that. I mean why would anybody care about somebody's plate number on a forum? You can walk outside and get thousands of plate numbers any time you want, but you are going to try to run some random plate number from some anonymous poster on a forum? What would be the point? If you knew how to get that info (not sure you really can at least legally), then you get what?, a home address maybe? I would think road rage would cause more people to find a way to run a plate than listing it on some random forum would, but I don't think anybody ever gets a plate number of a person that cuts them off and then goes and runs the plate somehow.

I think you will be okay and yes BL is part of the number.
Why unnecessarily give identifying information about yourself over the world wide web for the entire planet earth to see? Identity theft and fraud are the two of the largest up-and-coming crimes that can be impossible to solve, so why make yourself a potential target?

With OP's tag, anyone can go to the MVA, pay a couple of dollars and obtain a copy of his registration. That includes:

The OP’s full name and DOB

The OP’s address.

The OP’s vehicle make, year, VIN and title number.

The insurance company and the policy number

Who the OP obtained a loan through to purchase the vehicle.

Would you post that information about yourself online? Need I explain on what people can do with that sort of information or do you get the point?

Last edited by tgs_bg; 07-16-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
Why unnecessarily give identifying information about yourself over the world wide web for the entire planet earth to see? Identity theft and fraud are the two of the largest up-and-coming crimes that can be impossible to solve, so why make yourself a potential target?

With OP's tag, anyone can go to the MVA, pay a couple of dollars and obtain a copy of his registration. That includes:

The OP’s full name and DOB

The OP’s address.

The OP’s vehicle make, year, VIN and title number.

The insurance company and the policy number

Who the OP obtained a loan through to purchase the vehicle.

Would you post that information about yourself online? Need I explain on what people can do with that sort of information or do you get the point?

Again, you drive with that information clearly visible. Anyone that wants that information from any random person can get it off any random person on the street. It's an irrational fear. You cannot believe that giving out your information randomly on a forum will be any more detrimental that driving around with it clearly visible every day. Seriously.

I've had that information visible on forums for decades and it's never been a problem even if I've pissed off forum members who MIGHT be unstable enough to retaliate. Again, what can they get that they can't get from driving around ANYWAY? NOthing, that's what.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
All this assumes that the license plate info used is actual and not changed in some subtle (or not so subtle) way. If it has been changed I wouldn't say it had been, I would just let anyone who tried to use it go down the false trail.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Again, you drive with that information clearly visible. Anyone that wants that information from any random person can get it off any random person on the street. It's an irrational fear. You cannot believe that giving out your information randomly on a forum will be any more detrimental that driving around with it clearly visible every day. Seriously.

I've had that information visible on forums for decades and it's never been a problem even if I've pissed off forum members who MIGHT be unstable enough to retaliate. Again, what can they get that they can't get from driving around ANYWAY? NOthing, that's what.
I'll ask again.......

Why give identifying information about yourself over the internet for no reason what so ever?

You even admitted yourself that there have been opportunities where people who had something against you online could have used your information. Complete strangers you don't know on the internet. So regardless of what you want to believe you are taking a risk, no matter how small of a risk it may be.

Maybe the OP is in a similar boat? Who knows. The point I am trying to make is that it is better to be safe than sorry, regardless of how slim of a chance it is that someone would use your information maliciously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland