Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:51 PM

46 posts, read 80,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Odenton is a nice area – I don’t know if I’d agree that it’s “close” to Annapolis – but close is relative.

That aside....... it IS what I’d call convenient to get to other places – 20 mins to Baltimore – 20 mins to Annapolis, 20 mis to Columbia -- 45 mins drive to DC (NON rush hour)
Schools shopping libraries, parks – all good.

SOME parts of Crofton Gambrills and Odenton CAN BE “close” to each other and overlap – but some parts don’t. The SOUTH part of Crofton and the NORTH part of Odenton are not near each other....But you do have Gambrills in between the two – so part of Gambrills is near the Northern part of Crofton and the northern part of Gambrills is nearer to Odenton.

I also second the positive comments about Davidsonville/Riva although they’re about the same DISTANCE from DC as the other places mentioned – they’d make for a different commute because they’re to the south.

How far you are from a main commuter artery – and whether there’s a commuter train stop nearby could make a place that’s farther away MILEAGE-wise, have a shorter commute TIME-wise.

Again all of those are in Anne Arundel County.
Just like anywhere else you'll have to decide.....is farther out worth it....IF you can get a train to get into work.

When I moved to the DC area for my job 20 years ago...I had a 30 minute commute time limit -- PERIOD...I literally drew a 30 minute circle around the city...everything at or inside the circle was fair game...anything outside the circle was just not an option.
BUT, I'm the kind of person for whom a commute time is primary. So an hour commute is NOT an option in any way, shape, or form.
That's true about the Davidsonville and Riva area, it wouldn't make a difference, but still close by. I would say Odenton "central and South Odenton" are pretty close to Annapolis. It's about the same driving distance as most places in Severna Park/Millersville. My friend lives in Piney and we went the the Annapolis area from there and it took around 15 minutes, so it's a typical suburban distance from it. It's about 10 minutes from places with an Annapolis address and the mall, and 15 to 20 minutes from the city. Most suburbs of Annapolis aren't close to the city unless you have a car anyways. North Odenton as in Seven Oaks is pretty far out because it doesn't even cluster with the center of it, it's a small hump near Ft. Meade with an Oden zip code and don't even feed to the main schools. A tiny portion of South Odenton are around Crofton and do in fact feed into Crofton schools, I looked on Zillow.

I agree on everything else. Not being that far out is a good idea because if you live in say Arnold and have to commute to DC, you'd have to cross the Severn River bridge and Solomons Island bridge to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:43 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Sorry, typing too fast and didn't form a complete sentence. Yes, Arundel Mills is completed. Just referencing the Konterra Town Center being planned in Bowie.
Konterra is at I.95 in Laurel.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyFalconer View Post
That's true about the Davidsonville and Riva area, it wouldn't make a difference, but still close by. I would say Odenton "central and South Odenton" are pretty close to Annapolis. It's about the same driving distance as most places in Severna Park/Millersville. My friend lives in Piney and we went the the Annapolis area from there and it took around 15 minutes, so it's a typical suburban distance from it. It's about 10 minutes from places with an Annapolis address and the mall, and 15 to 20 minutes from the city. Most suburbs of Annapolis aren't close to the city unless you have a car anyways. North Odenton as in Seven Oaks is pretty far out because it doesn't even cluster with the center of it, it's a small hump near Ft. Meade with an Oden zip code and don't even feed to the main schools. A tiny portion of South Odenton are around Crofton and do in fact feed into Crofton schools, I looked on Zillow.

I agree on everything else. Not being that far out is a good idea because if you live in say Arnold and have to commute to DC, you'd have to cross the Severn River bridge and Solomons Island bridge to get to work.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 PM

Solomons Island Rd bridge** I think that's what it's called, sorry. The one that crosses the South River.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
I would say Odenton "central and South Odenton" are pretty close to Annapolis.
As I said "close" is relative.
Being able to get somewhere in 15 mins doesn't necessarily make it "close."

So as not to mislead....If the OP commutes for work from Odenton to DC...THAT will take more than 20 mins door to door.
I'd urge him to get an idea of REALISTIC commute times from various places.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:15 PM

280 posts, read 350,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
As I said "close" is relative.
Being able to get somewhere in 15 mins doesn't necessarily make it "close."

So as not to mislead....If the OP commutes for work from Odenton to DC...THAT will take more than 20 mins door to door.
I'd urge him to get an idea of REALISTIC commute times from various places.
20 mins is not bad. Since I ll be working close to Union Station. There is no possible way I can live less than 30-40 mins rail commute away, for better COL and schools.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:29 PM

OP, musman, please do NOT underestimate the adjustment this will be for you and your family.
You will NOT be able to commute into work in DC from ODENTON in 20 minutes. (Or practically ANY of the places you've mentioned. Silver Spring you could do in less than an hour -- 45 minutes)

1) The time it takes to get into the city to go to a museum or for a lunch date – when you don’t HAVE to be on time – is NOT the same as when you have to be AT WORK ON TIME –AND when most other people are traveling at that time also. Morning DC rush hour starts before 6a....and evening rush goes until after 7p.

2) The MARC train ride ALONE is 32 minutes...AND trains only run 3 times an hour so IF you miss one you’re SCREWED.

Given that -- I’d take it you’d want to be darn sure you don’t miss your train...so let’s say leaving your door, driving or walking to the station take a MINIMUM of 10 minutes. At RUSH hour even living just FIVE miles away could take you 15 minutes to drive to the station IN RUSH HOUR, find a parking space (IF the lot isn’t full) – and walk to the platform, to catch the train. How tight can you afford to cut that time – if you can’t afford to miss that train?

-- Then the 32 minute train ride (which could really be 35 minutes)
-- THEN you have to get off that train, get out of the train station – and walk to work. Let’s say – oh, -- another ten minutes? (if you don’t catch a subway or bus)

Is your job RIGHT AT the station, or just one block away -- or three or four blocks...in DC THAT can make a difference.

Odenton is a great place...just don’t count on commuting from there in 20 mins...it’s more like 45 mins to an hour –IF you’re traveling at rush hour and can’t be late, you’ve got to have buffer time.

Look at the MARC train schedule.

If you’re willing to commute an hour Odenton could be the place for you. (or Crofton or Gambrills) Although they don’t have a MARC train stop) Bowie does.

((I take it you've rules OUT Virginia?))
=============================

No doubt you’ve already looked at home prices......
That said you’re going to have to decide what you’ll compromise on and what you won’t.

Will you give up space and privacy for a shorter commute.....will you commute over an hour if it means more space and better schools?

WILL you TIGHEN YOUR LIVING EXPENSES and LIFESTYLE BUDGET to pay for a place closer in?......will you cut your eating out, and food budget, look for free things to do instead of paid entertainment?

-- How tight are you willing to be money-wise for what you want?
-- Will you rent or buy? How about a 2 BR apartment or town house...... instead of a single family home?

DC is one place where I don’t advise buying until you know the area....and have lived here AT LEAST six months....BUT what you’ll pay to rent an apartment or townhouse could pay a mortgage (depending on what you put down on the house)

DC isn’t South Carolina...not Columbia or Charleston. Compared to what we have they don’t HAVE a rush compared -- period. The commute here depending on the survey is among the worst in the nation. And the housing costs for what you get also not even on the same planet.

Is it better to rent for a year...than buy in the wrong place. ALTHOUGH I don’t’ think you COULD go wrong buying in Odenton it is among the places I’d live. (if it weren’t so far out)

Have you decided on a monthly housing budget yet?....for a house or mortgage. Have you looked at Silver Spring? I also think Bowie is nice.

Good luck!

Last edited by selhars; 08-05-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 AM

I agree that Odenton is definitely not 20 minutes away from DC. It's more like 30-40 minutes away on a good day, sometimes it can take up to an hour. If you only have to work in DC like 2 days a week, that's fine. But if it's an everyday thing, it's doable, but it would be a big pain.

The schools are really good, but if you live in certain parts of Silver Spring, your children could attend Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, which is about equivalent to Arundel and South River HS in terms of academics, plus it would save you the horrible commute. Even some areas in Rockville and North Bethesda are in the same price range and feed to Walter Johnson High School, which is also a really good school.

It all depends on your preference, though. If you prefer to be closer to DC, stick with Silver Spring, Rockville, and North Bethesda. If you prefer to be closer to the Chesapeake Bay and Annapolis, stick with the Odenton area, but your commute might not be fun. If you prefer to be equidistant to both, then Bowie would be okay, but I hear mixed reviews on schools there.

Last edited by HaileyFalconer; 08-06-2015 at 12:49 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 AM

Rockville is 25 miles from Union Station....on a MAP. But WHERE or in the Rockville AREA would you live?
The Metro (what the DC subway/commuter train line is called) train ride is 37 minutes in NON rush hour.

The good news is both Rockville and Silver Spring on on the same "red line" as the Union Station stop. So there's no transfer needed. But a commute from Rockville would also be an hour.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM

280 posts, read 350,774 times
I really wanted to live in Bethesda because its close to my work and has great schools. I will be preferring commuting by train. So if I live close to red line that would be 40 mins commute door to door(approx). but living here comes with the price, which I am priced out of the area I think. My budget is 2000 for 2 bed SFH or townhouse.
Other option is Silver springs. also on red line but has MARC station as well. 40 Mins approx commute to work. Schools suck but living is kind of affordable. If I live in sketchy area I better have a garage which again puts me out of my price range.
Rockville is the option for other reasons. Good school, more space for money, has Marc as well as Metro station. But commute would be good 60 mins or so.
I would like to live in a area where I can easily catch the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland