Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:46 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times

Advertisements

I am a former Marylander who now lives in West Virginia where most Interstates have a 70 speed limit. I've traveled to many other states with a 75 speed limit and every time I visit family and friends in Maryland the change to 65 after crossing the border is extremely annoying. Raising the allowed speed limit to 70 is another good thing that Larry Hogan did as governor, moving away from the nanny statism that dominates Maryland. (Hogan also proved O'Malley a liar when he lowered the tolls even though O'Malley claimed the governor has no authority over tolls. Hopefully Hogan will repeal PlanMaryland and allow natural gas drilling in Western Maryland.)

But as for the highways, I think the following places should have the speed limit increased to 70

- The entirely of Interstate 68

- Interstate 70 west of Ellicott City

- Interstate 95 north of White Marsh

- Interstate 83 north of Hunt Valley

- Interstate 81 (all 10 miles or so through Maryland)

I also think that Maryland 100 should go from 55 to 65, that Interstate 695 from Glen Burnie across the Key Bridge to Essex can at least be increased to 60, and that most of Route 50 and Route 113 on the Eastern Shore should be increased to 60 or 65. In West Virginia, highways designed similarly to Route 50 between Easton and Ocean City are 60 or 65 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
That's cute you're crediting Hogan for something he didn't have anything to do with. The bill passed with a veto-proof majority. Hogan didn't express an opinion on the matter; it was only a priority in the first place because Dems in MoCo wanted to see the ICC speeds raised.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:45 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
There are some federal rules for increasing speed limits on Interstates having to do with traffic loads and congestion so the ones listed likely won't see an increase in the speed limit.

As to the State roads listed that's a non-starter (although the actual speeds on them are above the limit) because they're not limited access.

Think Route 50 on the Shore, every couple miles there's a town that the road bisects (some with stop lights) and uncontrolled access and crossovers the entire length. A speed limit of 70 (which would mean an actual speed of 80) on them would be less than safe.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:44 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As to the State roads listed that's a non-starter (although the actual speeds on them are above the limit) because they're not limited access.

Think Route 50 on the Shore, every couple miles there's a town that the road bisects (some with stop lights) and uncontrolled access and crossovers the entire length. A speed limit of 70 (which would mean an actual speed of 80) on them would be less than safe.
Maryland 100 most certainly is a limited-access highway, and I agree that its speed limit should be 65. Ditto for MD 200 (the ICC) and MD 32 (the freeway portion of it, which is between I-97 and MD 108).

But U.S. 50? No, it passes through too many towns to safely raise the speed limit. However, I might agree if you're talking only about the relatively empty stretch between Cambridge and Salisbury.

As for the interstates, when the OP says that he thinks I-68 should be 70 mph for its entire length, I assume he is excluding Cumberland; the current speed of 40 mph is about right for that area. I'm actually not sure I agree with raising the limit on the rest of I-68. Yeah, it's rural and the traffic is light; but it's also very hilly and curvy. High speeds could be a safety issue. Though, the topography and traffic volumes are about the same as on the West Virginia stretch of I-68 from the state line over to Morgantown, and I believe their speed limit is 70; so it would be interesting to know what their experience with traffic safety has been.

As for the rest of his list . . . I agree with I-70 (west of Ellicott City, as noted), except through Frederick. I-95 north of Bel Air, yes; but not the 7 mile stretch from White Marsh to Bel Air, it's too congested. Agree with I-81 and I-83.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 AM

123 posts, read 144,397 times
I agree with I-70 west of Ellicott City, I-81 and I-83. I disagree on MD-100 based on 3 spots:

1. Merging from Executive Drive (by the Chick-Fil-A) to MD-100 W is done from the left. A lot of people then try to switch 3 lanes to the right within less than one mile to exit on Long Gate Pkwy. That could be (more) dangerous if people on MD-100 could drive 10 mph faster.

2-3. Driving on MD-100E people are sometimes confused about which lane they should be in to exit to 95-S or 95-N, and also to exit on 97 vs stay on 100E. You see a lot of last minute changes in lanes at these two spots.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
I agree with I-70 west of Ellicott City, I-81 and I-83. I disagree on MD-100 based on 3 spots:

1. Merging from Executive Drive (by the Chick-Fil-A) to MD-100 W is done from the left. A lot of people then try to switch 3 lanes to the right within less than one mile to exit on Long Gate Pkwy. That could be (more) dangerous if people on MD-100 could drive 10 mph faster.

2-3. Driving on MD-100E people are sometimes confused about which lane they should be in to exit to 95-S or 95-N, and also to exit on 97 vs stay on 100E. You see a lot of last minute changes in lanes at these two spots.
You make good points. Certainly, MD 100 could have been designed better. That left entrance from Executive Park Drive is handy for people intending to head south on U.S. 29 (also a left exit, just beyond Long Gate Parkway), but you're right about the 3-lane crossover being an issue. If they would extend Columbia 100 Parkway parallel to MD 100 over to Long Gate Parkway, that issue would be solved.

As for the I-95 interchange, they should have had the far-right lane cross over I-95 and then exit-only onto the northbound side. That way, all of the 95-bound traffic would have had their own lane, and the other two lanes would be just for MD 100 eastbound thru-traffic.

And then there's the hill between Executive Park Drive and Centre Park Drive, so you've got people slowing down on the upgrade and speeding up on the downgrade . . . OK, maybe leaving the speed limit at 55 might be prudent after all.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:33 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Maryland 100 most certainly is a limited-access highway, and I agree that its speed limit should be 65. Ditto for MD 200 (the ICC) and MD 32 (the freeway portion of it, which is between I-97 and MD 108).

But U.S. 50? No, it passes through too many towns to safely raise the speed limit. However, I might agree if you're talking only about the relatively empty stretch between Cambridge and Salisbury.

As for the interstates, when the OP says that he thinks I-68 should be 70 mph for its entire length, I assume he is excluding Cumberland; the current speed of 40 mph is about right for that area. I'm actually not sure I agree with raising the limit on the rest of I-68. Yeah, it's rural and the traffic is light; but it's also very hilly and curvy. High speeds could be a safety issue. Though, the topography and traffic volumes are about the same as on the West Virginia stretch of I-68 from the state line over to Morgantown, and I believe their speed limit is 70; so it would be interesting to know what their experience with traffic safety has been.

As for the rest of his list . . . I agree with I-70 (west of Ellicott City, as noted), except through Frederick. I-95 north of Bel Air, yes; but not the 7 mile stretch from White Marsh to Bel Air, it's too congested. Agree with I-81 and I-83.
The speed limit through Cumberland will stay where it is because the bridge isn't up to interstate spec, let alone 70mph through traffic. The bridge is over 50 years old and was designed to ease intra-town traffic caused by having two sets of operational rail road tracks and Will's Creek that break up the city's transportation grid.

I think overall 70mph is safe for the rest of I-68 in good weather conditions so long as the drivers are paying attention to the road.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I-68 could definitely be 70 mph and I think they already raised it there. I'll have to see when I drive through this weekend. The Maryland portion of 68 is not much curvier or more mountainous than the part in West Virginia to Morgantown or Interstates 77 and 79 in WV which have a 70 speed limit.

I know Cumberland is an exception though most cars seem to drive at least 55 on that stretch anyway. The part through Cumberland was not built to Interstate highway standards.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:52 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
The Salisbury Bypass (Rt.50/13) will go to 70mph.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:50 PM

450 posts, read 799,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post

Maryland highways are poorly designed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland