Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 02:10 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Baltimore's rust belt identity is a good indicator. As is the state's wealth, education level, political/social leanings, racial and religious breakdown, etc. MD much more closely resembles Penn/NY/NJ compared to VA/NC/SC in every quantitative measure I can think of off the top of my head.
That pretty much sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Western Maryland isn't Southern. Only Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore are Southern. Together those two parts make up less than half the state. The majority of Maryland leans Northeastern. Also I'm not sure that many people from NY/NJ consider all of Maryland Southern. Maryland is classified as Southern by the Census Bureau because of an outdated Mason-Dixon Line.
I didn't say Western MD was southern. Western MD is definitely Appalachian. I said that Western MD, Southern MD, and the eastern shore aren't characteristically northern. If you add in PG county (which doesn't have an equivalent anywhere in the NE), that's a huge portion of the state that isn't very similar to the NE. As I mentioned in my other post, MD as a whole isn't heavily Southern, but that doesn't automatically make it north eastern.

The argument used for MD being in the NE is that it's democratic, wealthy, and that it has lots of Catholics and a large Jewish population. The west coast states are all heavily democratic, but that doesn't make them NE. MD's Catholic % is noticeably lower than the rest of the NE. Maryland does have a large Jewish population and is wealthy, but does that really make it NE? Florida has larger Jewish population than MD, and nobody is claiming it's in the NE.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:50 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
OK Maryland forum, this has been bothering me lately. Many people on city-data have said that Maryland is northern, but I would like some more clear support to this argument. I've tried to see how it's a northern state, but I just can't. Please explain why Maryland of northern if you think it is.

I am NOT trying to start another North-South argument thread, we have enough of those. This thread is only for posting proof of the state's "northern-ness." Contrasting MD with the deep south is not enough, AL and GA are far away, of course they are different.
"this has been bothering me lately"

Who gives a s..t?

How many silly forums do we need for this subject?

People are free to decide whatever they want for whatever reason.

People have different opinions. get used to it.

Live is too short to bother with such trivial things.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"this has been bothering me lately"

Who gives a s..t?

How many silly forums do we need for this subject?

People are free to decide whatever they want for whatever reason.

People have different opinions. get used to it.

Live is too short to bother with such trivial things.
Yes, but then City-Data would have far fewer users if people DIDN'T bother with trivia.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
It's doesn't take "proof". Anybody that looks at a map can clearly see that it's not the south. But MD does have some southern influence but going by straight North or South MD is definitely the North. The country is basically cut in half at the middle and MD is on the top (so is VA for that). Most of VA isn't even really Southern unless you in the country, basically same as MD. But I think Mid Atlantic fits best, mix of both. but more Northern than Southern any day.
Incorrect most of Virginia is very southern. Once you get south of Lorton and west of Centreville it might as well be Georgia.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 AM

189 posts, read 153,390 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZzUD0jx0iY

I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-Huzza!
she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post

Maryland! My Maryland!
Ironically, I've never came across anyone in this state who refers to people to the north of us as "Yankees".

Old 10-30-2015, 01:24 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Ironically, I've never came across anyone in this state who refers to people to the north of us as "Yankees".
Well, you have met one, om line anyway, that has his entire life.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
Quote:
*That is funny!!! This says a lot about the mindset of folks in this area during that particular time in history which has been passed down throughout the ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post

Maryland! My Maryland!

Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Well, you have met one, om line anyway, that has his entire life.
mk whatever her name was? Ha! That's one right there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland