Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:10 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,957 times

Advertisements

"Most people think this is long overdue," Hogan said. He added that local school systems that want to begin classes before Labor Day must apply for a waiver with the Maryland State Department of Education.

"School after Labor Day is now the law of the land in Maryland," Hogan said.

Hogan orders Maryland public schools to start after Labor Day, sparking political fight - Baltimore Sun

Hogan is awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 01:54 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
I am not in support of this. Leave it a local decision. Counties like Garrett and Allegany start well in advance of Labor Day because of the expected number of snow closings. Under this new law, kids could very well be going to school until the end of June if it is a bad winter.

Well, another reason I am glad I choose private school for my kids.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:54 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I am not in support of this. Leave it a local decision. Counties like Garrett and Allegany start well in advance of Labor Day because of the expected number of snow closings. Under this new law, kids could very well be going to school until the end of June if it is a bad winter.

The end date for the school year was also set, it's June 15th.

You know, I grew up in an area with weather arguably similar to western Maryland. We started after Labor Day and were done by June 5th.

What adds so many days is the MSDE requirement for systems to have a minimum 10 professional development days.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The end date for the school year was also set, it's June 15th.

You know, I grew up in an area with weather arguably similar to western Maryland. We started after Labor Day and were done by June 5th.

What adds so many days is the MSDE requirement for systems to have a minimum 10 professional development days.
I guess the question is what will give first, the requirement for 180 instructional days, or the June 15 end of school date? What the schools do up here is work at least a week's worth of snow days into the schedule as wiggle room. If it goes above that, which it almost always does, they chop off vacation days or extend school out. if it is a really light winter, school ends early. Some years, they don't get out until nearly July.

My main objection though is the standard top-down "Welcome to Maryland" governing mentality. Who chooses when school starts? Not locally elected officials tasked with running our school systems, but our Governor through executive order. The D changed to an R, the philosophy that "Annapolis knows best" has apparently remained, at least on this issue.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:37 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,189 times
Starting school the week before Labor Day, only to have schools closed the following Monday never made any sense.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:38 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Professional Development Days, Teacher Work days, Parent Conference Days, extra days off at Easter and Thanksgiving because parents take so many kids out of school the day before the holiday for travel, etc, etc ,etc. It seems like in the first 8 weeks of school we don't have a single 5 day week. We used to do 180 days between Labor Day and about June 10. There was one day for Easter (Easter Monday), two days off for the Teachers Convention in October, Just over a week at Christmas/New Years and a few Federal Holidays.

We know have kids growing up thinking that a 5 day week of school is too long, that you need days off before and after vacation to travel and spring break that includes week long trips to Florida or a cruise to the Caribbean. They also think school should not start before 8:30 because it upsets their body clock.

So when they get out in the real world they expect companies to adjust to their schedule accept that they can't get to work on time with a regular schedule, etc

Welcome to the post industrial society

Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:

It still is a local decision insofar that the local districts can apply for waivers. Areas of the country that have much more snow than we ever get in the rest of Maryland, seem to handle the snowfall well enough to not have this problem. Why does Western Maryland not have the infrastructure to deal with more snow?

I grew up in NE Ohio, and back then we started after Labor Day and never got out of school later than the first week in June.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It still is a local decision insofar that the local districts can apply for waivers. Areas of the country that have much more snow than we ever get in the rest of Maryland, seem to handle the snowfall well enough to not have this problem. Why does Western Maryland not have the infrastructure to deal with more snow?

I grew up in NE Ohio, and back then we started after Labor Day and never got out of school later than the first week in June.
Parts of Garrett County average over 8 feet of snowfall a year (that's average, some years are worse,) and it can fall anywhere from Oct. through April. I would say they handle it well, as does Frostburg, which averages just short of 7 feet. Part of the issue is with students who walk to school. It can take over a week to clear all the snow out from a 2-3 foot storm, which aren't uncommon, and if the sidewalks aren't clear from the very common 6-8 inchers, the kids can't safely walk to school.

I don't know how other parts of the country with heavy snow falls handle it in regards to school, but there isn't any good reason to send the kids to school when the roads aren't clear or the sidewalks are drifted over when you can work days into your academic calendar to avoid it.

I am sure our counties will apply for the waiver. Again, no reason for the Governor to just unilaterally set the school schedule for every county in the state by Executive Order. Even with a Republican, it is still the top down approach to governing. Don't like it? File a waiver and maybe we will get back to you.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
Quote:
I don't know how other parts of the country with heavy snow falls handle it in regards to school, but there isn't any good reason to send the kids to school when the roads aren't clear or the sidewalks are drifted over when you can work days into your academic calendar to avoid it.

:

Maybe Garrett county should go to school all summer and close mid-December through March 15 so everyone can be safe.

Most northern states almost never close for weather and starting school a week or two earlier isn't going to change things that much.When I went to school in Md we never started before Labor Day and winters haven't gotten any worse in 30-40 years,people have just gotten softer.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:42 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Maybe Garrett county should go to school all summer and close mid-December through March 15 so everyone can be safe.

Most northern states almost never close for weather and starting school a week or two earlier isn't going to change things that much.When I went to school in Md we never started before Labor Day and winters haven't gotten any worse in 30-40 years,people have just gotten softer.
Not sure why you're rolling your eyes at the prospect of doing something "so everyone can be safe." Who in their right mind wouldn't cancel/postpone the school day if there's an increased chance of accidents/fatalities? You can call it "soft" if you want, but what's the downside of being smart about it? Besides, do you seriously not see differences between 40 years ago and today? e.g., much, much more sprawl/kids and teachers rarely being within walking distance of school anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland