Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times

Advertisements

This is one area I hope that the state legislature has to give its approval on before it happens. It's not really free when someone has to pay for it. In this case the jurisdiction trying to provide something "free" is getting a significant amount of its operating budget from the state. That means it will be the rest of the state footing the bill for Community College in Baltimore.

I don't even think it would be a good idea to provide free higher education across the state, since that would draw too many people into taking classes that have no business being in college in the first place, wasting their time and our money.

Obviously, the mayor learned something from Bernie's run from president. Give away "free" everything and people will vote for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
That's been thrown about for all the CCs the last few years, Baltimore is just the first one to do it (expect it to be part of Rushern's platform for Governor).

Here's the reality, and this is coming from a retired teacher, not everyone can or should go to college, even a Community College unless it's for the vocational programs (which were why CCs were originally started). So what will happen, and I saw this play out dozens or hundreds of times in my 31 years, is you'll have kids go and have to take a couple years of remedial classes in which they'll struggle. They then start classes which actually grant credit and they'll struggle even more. They'll finally give up but they can always say they "went to college". Like in the Toby Keith song, " but never got a degree".

And here's something that slips under the radar, even today in 2017 there are a substantial number of high school graduates, especially boys, who are the first person in their family to graduate.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:26 PM

406 posts, read 486,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
This is one area I hope that the state legislature has to give its approval on before it happens. It's not really free when someone has to pay for it. In this case the jurisdiction trying to provide something "free" is getting a significant amount of its operating budget from the state. That means it will be the rest of the state footing the bill for Community College in Baltimore.

I don't even think it would be a good idea to provide free higher education across the state, since that would draw too many people into taking classes that have no business being in college in the first place, wasting their time and our money.

Obviously, the mayor learned something from Bernie's run from president. Give away "free" everything and people will vote for you.
Find me a jurisdiction in Maryland that doesn't get a significant amount of state aid.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM

All my three kids started out in CC(Anne Arundel) and none of them got it for free. How many jurisdictions have free college for everyone.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:58 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Such a move state-wide would have significant impact on the enrollment (and therefore budget) of 4 year colleges, especially state schools.

If you can go to a Maryland CC for free, and all the credits transfer to any USM school, why spend more?

I have to say I disagree with the proposal. CC is already open enrollment, so anyone can attend. Expecting folks to either pay for the service, or get a relatively low interest loan to advance themselves isn't unreasonable, IMO.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
All my three kids started out in CC(Anne Arundel) and none of them got it for free. How many jurisdictions have free college for everyone.
If Baltimore City ends up footing the bill, why would you care?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
...not everyone can or should go to college, even a Community College
unless it's for the vocational programs (which were why CCs were originally started).
Going a bit deeper... those who SHOULD go shouldn't need free deals to ride in on.
---

Lower tuition rates generally however wouldn't go amiss.

The cost of a full years tuition and fees shouldn't require much more than X hours worked at $Y rate;
with X and Y being what an energetic 19yo could accomplish over the course of a summer.

In 1976 the national avg would be in the $2600 range (incl room and board) LINK
MW then was $2.30 Semi skilled (non union construction, waiter, etc) closer to $6 LINK
$2600 ÷ $5 (after taxes) = 520 hrs ÷ 40 (No overtime) = 13 weeks = doable (as many did)

Last edited by MrRational; 08-10-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
If Baltimore City ends up footing the bill, why would you care?
If Baltimore City will forgoe state funds being given to them at the same time to be used for general funds, I could care less.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
If Baltimore City will forgoe state funds being given to them at the same time to be used for general funds, I could care less.
It sounds like you're under the impression that Baltimore City is the only jurisdiction in Maryland that receives state aid. If that's the case then I hate to break it to you buddy - you're wrong.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Going a bit deeper... those who SHOULD go shouldn't need free deals to ride in on.
---

Lower tuition rates generally however wouldn't go amiss.

The cost of a full years tuition and fees shouldn't require much more than X hours worked at $Y rate;
with X and Y being what an energetic 19yo could accomplish over the course of a summer.

In 1976 the national avg would be in the $2600 range (incl room and board) LINK
MW then was $2.30 Semi skilled (non union construction, waiter, etc) closer to $6 LINK
$2600 ÷ $5 (after taxes) = 520 hrs ÷ 40 (No overtime) = 13 weeks = doable (as many did)
Is this a joke? I'm asking because it's absolutely hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland