Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

Evening all,
Moving to Maryland around December and looking for good places to live. Will be working out of Ft Meade or close to the base. Have no idea where to start looking so any help will be greatly appreciated. Will be myself and my wife. Possibly daughter who is in 20's and looking at going to Medical school. couple of dogs and cats. Dont mind a drive to work. not sure what else to add will elaborate as needed.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 03:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Need a little bit more info? Off hand I would say...

Bowie
Crofton
Odenton
Annapolis
Columbia
Davidsonville

Old 08-29-2018, 04:46 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

Bowie
Crofton
Odenton
Annapolis
Columbia
Davidsonville
Now you have some possible locations you need to decide how much you can pay for housing, what type of housing (apartment, SFH, TH), and, if you have kids, how important schools are.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk13 View Post
Moving to Maryland around December and looking for good places to live.
Have no idea where to start looking ...
Whatever happened to employers and HR types providing information?
Judging by the threads on C-D it seems that everyone is regularly being thrown into the deep end.

Quote:
...not sure what else to add will elaborate as needed.
Try defining what "good" means to you and some idea of budget.
Meade is surrounded by some of the more expensive real estate in the country.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

Bowie
Crofton
Odenton
Annapolis
Columbia
Davidsonville
I'd also add Laurel, Hanover, Ellicott City and Catonsville to this.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 08-29-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
I dont even know anymore tbh

Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM

123 posts, read 203,595 times
To the original poster stating "don't mind a drive to work". You need to visit the areas of interest during AM/PM rush hours. Roads such as Md. Route 3, Route 32, Baltimore Washington Parkway, I97 and the Baltimore Beltway to name a few may effect your selection decision.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:30 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Because you will be going to Ft Meade and not one of the DC burbs that will involve traffic you have a ton of options. Those mentioned are fine, you would even move up here to beautiful Mt Airy. It's an easy 40 minute drive to Ft Meade and you can buy more house with property here.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
Thanks everyone for your options. I currently live in NC and drive an hour to work so when I say I don't mind a drive that is what I mean. Living an hour away is not an issue for me if it is a nice neighborhood etc.
@DaveinMtAiry - That is sort of my thoughts on the distance. more building for the $. Is coming from that direction to roughly FT Meade big traffic in the direction I would be traveling or where i'm coming from?

@MrRational - It really does seem the deep end option is what they are going for now. You want the job then you find a way *L - I would say my budget would be no more than 2k per month. Obviously cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice cost for a ****ty neighborhood or area. As said above to @DaveinMtAiry - the 40 mins from there is not bad at all, is anything beyond there ridiculous/unrealistic travel times?

@North Beach Person- Would prefer a house. It is my self and wife. Our daughter is in her 20's and may come up with us depending on the college she wants to do her masters at - so realistically schooling is not part of the equation. Wife works from home so high speed internet is a must, but really isn't an issue anymore right. We do have 3 small dogs so thinking of the neighbors here in the thought of TH and apartments.

Again thank you to everyone who has dropped a line here for me and given us some great places to start looking.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:57 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk13 View Post
Thanks everyone for your options. I currently live in NC and drive an hour to work so when I say I don't mind a drive that is what I mean. Living an hour away is not an issue for me if it is a nice neighborhood etc.
@DaveinMtAiry - That is sort of my thoughts on the distance. more building for the $. Is coming from that direction to roughly FT Meade big traffic in the direction I would be traveling or where i'm coming from?

@MrRational - It really does seem the deep end option is what they are going for now. You want the job then you find a way *L - I would say my budget would be no more than 2k per month. Obviously cheaper but I don't want to sacrifice cost for a ****ty neighborhood or area. As said above to @DaveinMtAiry - the 40 mins from there is not bad at all, is anything beyond there ridiculous/unrealistic travel times?

@North Beach Person- Would prefer a house. It is my self and wife. Our daughter is in her 20's and may come up with us depending on the college she wants to do her masters at - so realistically schooling is not part of the equation. Wife works from home so high speed internet is a must, but really isn't an issue anymore right. We do have 3 small dogs so thinking of the neighbors here in the thought of TH and apartments.

Again thank you to everyone who has dropped a line here for me and given us some great places to start looking.
OK. Davidsonville might be it. Large houses on a couple acres, some builders call them farmettes, , as well as older more historical houses, fairly rural but close to Annapolis.

As Dave said, Carroll County might also be it.

Unfortunately your $2K/month is going to be low for many of the suggestions you've gotten, including mine. I would tell you that where I am, Calvert County, might do it but the commute to Meade would be like traveling in Mordor. Roughly an hour +/-. One of my neighbors does it now but is in the process of readjusting his work (I don't ask much about that because he has some very serious security clearances and I don't have a need to know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland