Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 AM

833 posts, read 520,866 times

Advertisements

Gov. Hogan has already said there is only one option he would accept - a third span adjacent to the current span. No other option will be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 12:03 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Gov. Hogan has already said there is only one option he would accept - a third span adjacent to the current span. No other option will be considered.
At the end of the day that's the logical location. The connecting infrastructure is more or less in place.

A southern crossing from Calvert to Dorchester was a nonstarter from the get go. Route 4 is a bottleneck now and below just north of Prince Frederick to the end of the road you have wetlands issues on both sides of the road. Then you have the issue of increased traffic past CCNPP and the Dominion LNG plant. The Thomas Johnson bridge in Solomon's is slated for replacement, someday, but that replacement isn't going to be an expansion but just a lower bridge.

In Dorchester there are no roads on that side so you'd have to totally construct connectors over there and then you have even more wetlands problems at that end.

Realistically we're talking twenty (20) years, or more, out. I'll be 85.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
At the end of the day that's the logical location. The connecting infrastructure is more or less in place.

A southern crossing from Calvert to Dorchester was a nonstarter from the get go. Route 4 is a bottleneck now and below just north of Prince Frederick to the end of the road you have wetlands issues on both sides of the road. Then you have the issue of increased traffic past CCNPP and the Dominion LNG plant. The Thomas Johnson bridge in Solomon's is slated for replacement, someday, but that replacement isn't going to be an expansion but just a lower bridge.

In Dorchester there are no roads on that side so you'd have to totally construct connectors over there and then you have even more wetlands problems at that end.

Realistically we're talking twenty (20) years, or more, out. I'll be 85.
I thought you already were?

Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I thought you already were?
Just the heart and lungs.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:48 PM

391 posts, read 196,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
The Guv may not be the ultimate arbiter, and Guvs don't always get their way.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I haven't been following the story much but do any of the route suggestions
address providing for the truck traffic separately from the auto traffic?
The third span adjacent to the existing two could be used in that manner a good bit of the time.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
You're falling into the same trap Hogan is accused of falling into. You're deciding before the study is complete. The Hogan option could be better in the short term, while another option might be better in the longer term. They had the same issue with Metro to Dulles, (underground or overground thru Tysons), and they went with short term savings, that will cost more over the life of the project. It's a reasonable debate to have.
I studied it close while I lived on Kent Island and worked all over the western shore commuting at different times of the day for over 12 years. I addressed a better long term option in the post you quoted. It had short term shortcomings, primarily the cost due to environmental issues. Did you only read the first sentence that you bolded and read my mind, or try to anyway, before you condemned my post?

Edit: I am curious. How does one become a “Senior Member” after 5 months and 208 posts. What is going on with CD these days?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I studied it close while I lived on Kent Island and worked all over the western shore commuting at different times of the day for over 12 years. I addressed a better long term option in the post you quoted. It had short term shortcomings, primarily the cost due to environmental issues. Did you only read the first sentence that you bolded and read my mind, or try to anyway, before you condemned my post?

Edit: I am curious. How does one become a “Senior Member” after 5 months and 208 posts. What is going on with CD these days?
You just gave me, like a dozen more grey hairs. I have been a member since Jan. 2007, almost 13 years ago. I'm not the most senior member that frequents here, am I?

Old 08-30-2019, 06:00 AM

391 posts, read 196,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

You seem to be a hotNbotherd class of individual, nice to have you along.

I didn't "condemn" your post. I challenged the first sentence, and ignored the rest.

No, I didn't just read the first sentence of your post that I bolded. I read the entire post. I bolded because it suggested to me that you had not read the piece about reaction to the tweet, and were dismissing the views expressed therein as political correctness gone awry. I hold a different view.

I ignored the opinion portion of your post on an outer bypass because irrespective of the merits, or otherwise, that timeline is even further out than a bridge replacement.

Where can I find the methodology and results of your years of close study?
I know zero, and care less, about senior member status. Quality over quantity perhaps?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
You seem to be a hotNbotherd class of individual, nice to have you along.

I didn't "condemn" your post. I challenged the first sentence, and ignored the rest.

No, I didn't just read the first sentence of your post that I bolded. I read the entire post. I bolded because it suggested to me that you had not read the piece about reaction to the tweet, and were dismissing the views expressed therein as political correctness gone awry. I hold a different view.

I ignored the opinion portion of your post on an outer bypass because irrespective of the merits, or otherwise, that timeline is even further out than a bridge replacement.

Where can I find the methodology and results of your years of close study?
I know zero, and care less, about senior member status. Quality over quantity perhaps?
you on the other hand seem to be a self absorbed individual.

My study was done in my own mind while crossing over the bridge on a regular basis as well as sitting at home reading about all the proposed solutions and thinking long term toward a bypass that will eventually become necessary. Disregarding the “further out” nature of needed infrastructure is what causes solutions to cost more over a longer period of time. You must work somewhere in Maryland government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland