Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 05:40 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times

Advertisements

many people's financial future destroyed by a case of the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 09:13 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
first fatality.

First Maryland coronavirus death confirmed in Prince George’s County
Quote:
Gov. Hogan says the Prince George’s County resident was in his 60s and was hospitalized already when he was confirmed positive for the coronavirus. He was also said to have other underlying health issues and was the fourth to be diagnosed in Maryland.

Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks said last week when he was diagnosed that it was unique because the patient could not be linked to travel. Several firefighters were also linked to the man who died.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:55 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
many people's financial future destroyed by a case of the flu.
I imagine a lot of Boomers will put off retirement or even come put of retirement to try to make up for the sharply lower value of their 401K plans.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:55 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I am firmly exactly in the middle between the group that is burying gold bullion in the back yard and screaming the end is near and the idiots who claim this is nothing more than the flu and insist we should be free to move about anywhere we please. I respect the risk, I am doing what I can, but no I have virtually no fear of dying from this virus.

I am doing as North Beach. I have been building the supply up gradually. If we get quarantined for 2 weeks we simply did not have the resources so I got some provisions. After seeing what is happening in Italy it dawned on me that we need to be prepared for a possible lock down that could last more than 2 weeks. I figured the stores will be open for food on some limited basis but the liquor stores may close, so I hoarded there big time.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:22 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am firmly exactly in the middle between the group that is burying gold bullion in the back yard and screaming the end is near and the idiots who claim this is nothing more than the flu and insist we should be free to move about anywhere we please. I respect the risk, I am doing what I can, but no I have virtually no fear of dying from this virus.

I am doing as North Beach. I have been building the supply up gradually. If we get quarantined for 2 weeks we simply did not have the resources so I got some provisions. After seeing what is happening in Italy it dawned on me that we need to be prepared for a possible lock down that could last more than 2 weeks. I figured the stores will be open for food on some limited basis but the liquor stores may close, so I hoarded there big time.
You can get food deliveries along with alcoholic beverages, since Governor Hogan authorized it. I don't drink so that's all I can tell you at this point.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:53 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You can get food deliveries along with alcoholic beverages, since Governor Hogan authorized it. I don't drink so that's all I can tell you at this point.
i missed that on the news, but here's the executive order.

https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-con...e-Delivery.pdf

Old 03-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I'm thinking cigarettes will be the new currency in some areas, like in prison.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I imagine a lot of Boomers will put off retirement or even come put of retirement to try to make up for the sharply lower value of their 401K plans.
I am 61, retired a year, and working part time (well I was anyway). I should be much more freaked out about the loss of value but I'm just not. I was expecting a drop at some point, we were way overdue, and I was kinda hoping for a quick one instead of the double digit drops that happened for years starting in the year 2000. I firmly believe the market will bounce back as soon as this is resolved, I don't plan on going back to work.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
It depends. Most 401K plans, if they are being managed by an advisory firm (or through one of the life cycle plans), have much lower risk investments at the baby-boomer's age range (most are invested in fixed, low-risk investments at this point). Not to say that there isn't a negative impact, but if their 401Ks are being managed conservatively, their hit is probably much more mild.

For the lucky federal government retirement-age baby boomers with pensions (many in the DC-Baltimore area), they have fixed pensions to fall back on and their TSPs (401K equivalents) are just extra icing on the cake, so they don't have much to worry about.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm thinking cigarettes will be the new currency in some areas, like in prison.
I don't know. With the additional $2/pack tax that was adopted by the Legislature the other day, for the children, they'll become like gold nuggets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland