Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 09:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
And you're right. But because there are so many other factors to be considered, including the numerous negatives on the other side which need to be weighed into the overall decision that voters make, you think this should be the ultimate deal breaker--even though you have probably already identified many others that break your deal. The reality is that others will see things differently based on their overall policy positions and (hopefully) numerous factors. You take one issue in isolation and determine that the ONE factor should negate all others variables and determine someone's choice. Not to mention the subjective nature of the word "embrace" which you have applied to Trump. Your choice is clearly already made and I doubt you reached your decision based on one factor, so why do you think anybody else should base their decision on the one factor YOU see as the game changer? Arguments can be made that Biden "embraces" a whole range of ideas that many find unacceptable as they pertain to the direction they want the country to be moving in. This is the kind of black and white thinking that forms much of the foundation in the political polarization in the US. The notion that everyone is supposed to see things MY WAY with no nuance, in order to be morally virtuous, is really disturbing. This is in part connected to our high-tech fast-food style "soundbite" information diet, in my opinion. Any veering from the groupthink is met with disdain. This practice is particularly abhorrent from those who describe themselves as liberal, as it is decidedly illerable in nature.
An elected rep is supposed to be a community leader. When such a person embraces a low information cause it undermines their credibility. If they lack the critical skill of analysis in one area, it raises questions about where else they might lack that ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 09:21 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
An elected rep is supposed to be a community leader. When such a person embraces a low information cause it undermines their credibility. If they lack the critical skill of analysis in one area, it raises questions about where else they might lack that ability.

LMAO. Thanks for letting us know you won't be running for elected office. Unfortunately only Biden and Trump are, and they both have plenty of baggage (and low information causes) to go around. The important questions now are the policy details not partisan dogma. Biden seems to have more serious issues right now and, of course, globalist/multinational big tech is trying to help him out. https://taibbi.substack.com/p/with-t...uppression-136

How do you feel about this elected rep? https://dailycaller.com/2017/05/10/d...a-connections/

This conspiracy theory?

https://dailycaller.com/2017/05/31/a...trump-elected/

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-25-2020 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-25-2020, 10:47 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
Quote:
Because you've offered no details on what specifically you're referring to, I can't address the rest of your post, but with regard to the bolded, that a politician would embrace what you call "a low rung on the information ladder" seems to me to be grounds to vote no at the next opportunity. Somehow I kinda doubt that will happen....
I have no desire to hijack the thread by bringing up sacred cow type issues that folks will feel compelled to defend. We can discuss them specifically in the appropriate threads.

People don't know what they don't know. Almost everyone overestimates how much they really understand about issues they care about. It isn't a partisan issue. In 2020 the basic assumption is that "the other side" is always less knowledgeable and more naive on "insert issue of your choice here."

Voting isn't that straight forward. A low information delegate is not my idea of the ideal statesman, but how a prospective delegate votes on bills generally matters more to me than their underlying ability to discern good sources of information from bad ones.

Last edited by westsideboy; 10-25-2020 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-25-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
LMAO. Thanks for letting us know you won't be running for elected office. Unfortunately only Biden and Trump are, and they both have plenty of baggage (and low information causes) to go around. The important questions now are the policy details not partisan dogma. Biden seems to have more serious issues right now and, of course, globalist/multinational big tech is trying to help him out. https://taibbi.substack.com/p/with-t...uppression-136

How do you feel about this elected rep? https://dailycaller.com/2017/05/10/d...a-connections/

This conspiracy theory?

https://dailycaller.com/2017/05/31/a...trump-elected/
Relying on the Daily Caller to complain about conspiracies is a mug's game.

https://www.mediamatters.org/daily-caller

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-caller/

If you had bothered to read beyond the headline on the Taibbi piece, you'd see he was claiming that the media censorship was likely worse than anything Hunter Biden may be accused of, let alone guilty.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have no desire to hijack the thread by bringing up sacred cow type issues that folks will feel compelled to defend. We can discuss them specifically in the appropriate threads.

People don't know what they don't know. Almost everyone overestimates how much they really understand about issues they care about. It isn't a partisan issue. In 2020 the basic assumption is that "the other side" is always less knowledgeable and more naive on "insert issue of your choice here."

Voting isn't that straight forward. A low information delegate is not my idea of the ideal statesman, but how a prospective delegate votes on bills generally matters more to me than their underlying ability to discern good sources of information from bad ones.
So Ideology trumps competence. Depressing!

Old 10-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure I have voted for a lot more Democrats, Libertarians, and Green party members than you have voted for GOP candidates, although you are free to correct me if I am wrong.

I agree that my 2020 take is depressing, it represents a grudging acceptance of the polarization of politics. I can only define my voting preference in the modern political climate as "anti-left." I have never been less enthusiastic to vote in my life as I am right now, and am so discouraged with politics my only hope is that some vestige of our Federal Republic and Western Culture survives this moment. I have accepted that the age of conservatism as a national political force has reached its end.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Relying on the Daily Caller to complain about conspiracies is a mug's game.

https://www.mediamatters.org/daily-caller

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-caller/

Everyone knows Daily Caller is conservative. But you ain't going to read anything critical of Democrats unless you use other sources. But you didn't fail to fall into the "poisoning the well" fallacy logic I had predicted before posting it. The piece is well sourced.

Quote:
If you had bothered to read beyond the headline on the Taibbi piece, you'd see he was claiming that the media censorship was likely worse than anything Hunter Biden may be accused of, let alone guilty.

Quite aware of the arguments made in the article. The fact is nobody, including the author, knows the extent of the Biden's involvement. But it doesn't look good! And yes, the point is that the media is in the tank for the Democrats, thanks for agreeing.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:

This seems to be your position. Self awareness much?

Old 10-25-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure I have voted for a lot more Democrats, Libertarians, and Green party members than you have voted for GOP candidates, although you are free to correct me if I am wrong.

I agree that my 2020 take is depressing, it represents a grudging acceptance of the polarization of politics. I can only define my voting preference in the modern political climate as "anti-left." I have never been less enthusiastic to vote in my life as I am right now, and am so discouraged with politics my only hope is that some vestige of our Federal Republic and Western Culture survives this moment. I have accepted that the age of conservatism as a national political force has reached its end.
I hear ya. Currently I would describe myself as more anti right than pro left.
I've voted for several non D's including Hogan twice, Connie Morella, and a green whose name I don't remember.
Your concern for Western Culture suggests you feel it's under attack? From where?

Old 10-25-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. Currently I would describe myself as more anti right than pro left.
I've voted for several non D's including Hogan twice, Connie Morella, and a green whose name I don't remember.
Your concern for Western Culture suggests you feel it's under attack? From where?
Again, not going to hijack the thread by poking the angry hornet's nest. If anyone doesn't know who these groups and individuals are by now, I can't be of much help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland