Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,062 times

Advertisements

Another high school suicide in 2021 just like every year before. Another year of denial by the citizens of Severna Park.

There is something wrong with this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 08:25 PM

I was a life long resident of Anne Arundel County. I thought buying a house and raising my family in Severna Park was the penultimate goal. Get my kids into the best school system in Anne Arundel County, participate in their education and on to success. Unfortunately, Severna Park is the worst place to raise a family.

It has some great local neighborhoods. It is great when your kids are young and you are socializing in your tight neighbor hood, but when you cross the highway (Ritchie highway or "dragway" like I like to call it from all the car and motorcycle noise speeding from stop light to stop light) the real darkness appears. You enter the middle school system and your kids's ticket to the so called "Blue Ribbon" high school. Yeah I am from the Magothy side. The pretty river side.

Then the real bull crap begins.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM

Sports are HUGE! At least to SP parents. Do anything. Spend anything. Get your kid in the best travel club. Lacrosse is be all end all. Do whatever you can to get your kid in the best club team. Your status depends on it! And by all means let the kids drink and get high at your house cause your a cool parent.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:59 PM

Then there is the belief that Severna Park is some kind of Mayberry with Andy Griffith patrolling the town. Please. Severna Park straddles Ritchie Highway and to the west is Route 97. Basically anybody interested in smashing a car window and stealing change, stealing a car, putting a car on blocks and stealing tires and rims has easy access. And they take advantage of it. It is a regular occurrence. Don't leave your garage door open, you'll have a dope head stealing stuff out of your garage.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:21 PM

Back to the mental health of Severna Park. Is it something in the water? It is just F'd up. I had two kids attend multiple funerals for classmates that committed suicide. It's like a right of passage for a kid in Severna Park. You go to a church service after an suicide and we talk about how awful it is and how we need to support our kids no matter what...nothing changes. She was such a great athlete, had awesome grades, was accepted into the Ivy League school, then......

https://www.annapoliscreative.com/po...blem-part-two/

It's not just kids. Adults take their lives. Maybe it is because most of Severna Park lives above their means. Fake it to you make it. Statistics show Severna Park residents are more in debt than most people in Maryland.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM

188 posts, read 153,564 times
You sound unhappy there. Perhaps you should look into relocating.

I know several very nice people who have raised children to young adulthood in Severna Park, and who like it there just fine.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:58 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
The OP doesn't seem to understand the way the real World Works. Their concern should be getting any Child that is in situations like that easy access to the help they need . There are way to many differentials to place blame.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:28 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
silliest thing I've read here in a while.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
Eh, I'm not a fan of Severna Park, although I did end up raising my kids in Crofton and there were alot of similarities. FWIW, I'm not originally from this area. When I first moved to the area, everyone pointed us toward Severna Park. We visited and researched and I just didn't see the appeal. We moved to Crofton simply because of location.

My husband and I coached sports in AA county for years. The competitiveness, political games, and pettiness was awful. The pressure on the kids alarmed us. The parents on the sidelines scared us. I coached elementary school basketball (8 year olds) and the parents were chanting and name-calling! WtH?

This area is so kid-centric and sports-centric, it is insane. Kids were signed up for multiple sports at a time, schedules were jam-packed, and everyone had personalized coaches. Family "vacations" were scheduled around games/tourneys/sports camps. I really had never experienced anything like this before.

If you weren't into sports, I don't know what you did or who you hung out with.

The high number of suicides in Severna Park (especially relative to surrounding areas) is quite alarming to me.

As for our kids, we ended up homeschooling them and removing them from that environment. They're grown now and happy, independent young adults.

I do wonder if the parents are under so much pressure, and debt, that it's being projected onto the kids. I have some good friends who say things to their kids like.....we sacrificed and paid all of this money so you could get a scholarship to a good school. So do it.......

Last edited by bande1102; 02-23-2021 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 08:51 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Another high school suicide in 2021 just like every year before. Another year of denial by the citizens of Severna Park.

There is something wrong with this place.
The thing that really bothers me is that the community seems to prioritize their reputation (blue ribbon schools! high property values! water!) over the lives of its young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland