Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 06:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Thank you, Larry!

Your persistence has paid off.

But, damn, I want to retire at 60.

https://www.wmar2news.com/rebound/co...s-for-retirees
Why only last to 2027?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 12:22 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why only last to 2027?
Why not? My gut tells me that it was only done this year because it's an election year (which is when legislators in Maryland at all levels from municipal to County to State traditionally try to lower taxes anyway). Budgets are built for three years to allow that lowering to take place.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why not? My gut tells me that it was only done this year because it's an election year (which is when legislators in Maryland at all levels from municipal to County to State traditionally try to lower taxes anyway). Budgets are built for three years to allow that lowering to take place.
Why not , maybe because the people who retired will be older and in more need of the savings.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Why not , maybe because the people who retired will be older and in more need of the savings.
They're not going to make any tax cut to individuals permanent, you know, "the situation may change". Also remember that the same bureaucrats who described retirees as "useless eaters" during the O'Malley Administration are still in their jobs writing regulations and designing enforcement mechanisms.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
They're not going to make any tax cut to individuals permanent, you know, "the situation may change". Also remember that the same bureaucrats who described retirees as "useless eaters" during the O'Malley Administration are still in their jobs writing regulations and designing enforcement mechanisms.
Seems other States do.

https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...s-for-retirees

Old 05-15-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Other states, not Maryland for the most part. Maryland actually needs the constant influx of younger workers getting regular raises to support the tax system in the state.

You're in Charles County which has the highest property tax rate (of the Counties) in the State. With all the development over there have your property taxes ever really gone down?

Last edited by North Beach Person; 05-15-2022 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-15-2022, 10:01 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
The tax cut will be phased in over a 5-year period in 2022. I'm not sure about the mechanics. I haven't found a detailed explanation anywhere. It's supposed to be permanent. The law provides the tax cut will take effect July 1, 2022 and will be applicable to all taxable years beginning after December 31, 2021. There's no mention of an expiration date. However, if the State doesn't meet its revenue goals in 2027, I understand the State could modify or even eliminate the tax cut as NBP alluded to above.

Btw, Maryland retirees are still on the hook for the piggyback tax.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The tax cut will be phased in over a 5-year period in 2022. I'm not sure about the mechanics. I haven't found a detailed explanation anywhere. It's supposed to be permanent. The law provides the tax cut will take effect July 1, 2022 and will be applicable to all taxable years beginning after December 31, 2021. There's no mention of an expiration date. However, if the State doesn't meet its revenue goals in 2027, I understand the State could modify or even eliminate the tax cut as NBP alluded to above.

Btw, Maryland retirees are still on the hook for the piggyback tax.
Thank you.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Other states, not Maryland for the most part. Maryland actually needs the constant influx of younger workers getting regular raises to support the tax system in the state.

You're in Charles County which has the highest property tax rate (of the Counties) in the State. With all the development over there have your property taxes ever really gone down?
I want to say two years ago.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I want to say two years ago.
The taxes went down or the rate? The way the property tax system is set up you'll always pay more.

Here's how it works. The Constant Yield Rate means that your County (or municipality) can't collect more money next year than this unless the rate is raised to what it was.

It's an elegant system, the constituent complains that his tax bill is higher and the legislator raised his taxes. The Legislator can say no, the rate remained the same as last year and you're paying higher taxes because your house is worth more. That's why all the development in the world won't lower your property taxes.

That's why the locals want the income tax from residents, that's the extra spiff. Over here, and elsewhere, it's slots money (well here they're not slots but video lottery terminals).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland