Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 AM

42 posts, read 272,063 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband, 3 kids and I are currently living in PA (lived here most of my life), but we both dream of living within driving distance (an hour or so) of the ocean. We're working on a plan to leave PA within the next 12-24 months to move closer to the coast. We don't want to move too far south, so we can stay close to PA family, so MD seems like the best option (and I've always loved the beaches there). We aren't wealthy by any means - but I have a masters in counseling and my husband does electrical work, so we're both employable and can probably make around $40,000 each.

Anyone have suggestions for affordable, family-friendly places to live within an hour of the coast? Good available jobs are obviously important, as well as good schools, low crime, affordable decent housing, etc. I'd really appreciate any input! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Pocomoke City, Berlin, Snow Hill, Fruitland, Salisbury, Crisfield-most near the Atlantic, a couple near the Chesapeake. All on the Eastern Shore. Get a job offer before moving. Get ready to jump through hoops on both your professional licenses. Depending where in PA you're from be prepared for housing price shock, property taxes are generally lower as a proportion of property value. Personal income tax is also higher but we don't have the nuisance taxes PA does.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Crisfield and Pocomoke City might be fine to move to but don't look for jobs there. You would need to look in Easton, Cambridge and Salisbury for that. Alot of the eastern shore is rural and the towns are small. My boyfriend's brother moved to Crisfield and it took him months to find a job. Luckily, his wife got her teaching degree and was able to find a job very quickly with the public schools.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,018 times
You can check the Salisbury, Cambridge and Easton areas...Easton will put you half way between Annapolis and the ocean scenary. You can also look in southern Deleware.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 15,223 times
Default Dont move to Pocomoke City

There are plenty of place on the eastern shore that offer amentities for those looking to relocate from the city Pocomoke City is not one of them. The only thing that keeps Pocomoke going is NASA.

Other than that Pocomoke has nothing to offer. Having lived there most of my life we dealt with Rusty Iron Water which the City officials have never been able to fix! Only if you are on a well will you have some attempt of clean water!

Billed the friendliest town on the Eastern Shore it is far from it! The city fathers are only in office for their own agendas and not for the best interest of the town! The city manager is the farthest thing from a city manager I have ever known and really does nothing to promote living in Pocomoke or even working in or around Pocomoke.

Pocomoke is a good ole boys club where people are only in it for what is in it for them!!

Find a better place to live!

Old 07-25-2010, 01:35 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Speaking of Nasa, maybe your husband could get a job there. There's a big NASA facility on Wallops Island, VA ( just south of the state line).

Also - why not Delaware? More towns to choose from, and anywhere south of route 8 is within an hour to the ocean.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 AM

48 posts, read 158,269 times
Though I've never actually lived in Easton, I know people who have and I have visited many times. It's a bit far from the ocean for what you're looking for, but it's very close to the Chesapeake Bay, and with good access to Annapolis. Finding a rural but still accessible home in Talbot county would be a good bet for you, I think. The county is not as poor as many others on the eastern shore, and it enjoys all the benefits that I just mentioned.

Apart from that, consider areas in eastern Sussex county, like perhaps Millsboro or Selbyville. The area has a higher number of transplants, so it might be easier for you to integrate into the community. It is also one of the more prosperous areas of the peninsula, and very close to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland