Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 08:34 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times

Advertisements

I live in the Middle River area. I currently have "temporary custody" of my daughter's lovable but lunatic Rottweiller/Lab mix Gracie, as the apartment she is now renting has a no pets policy. This is (she assures me) a temporary situation. My dilemma is this: I have a house-full of people coming on Thanksgiving, and Gracie would just wreak havoc if she's here for that occasion. I don't want to just crate her all day, as I'm afraid she would just whine pathetically all day knowing we were all upstairs without her.

Does anyone know of a place I could board her for that one day that you would recommend? Or any other suggestions?

My own dog is a Shepherd mix and is almost 13 years old. She is very civilized around guests, so I've never had this problem before. Gracie isn't at all aggressive, but she is overly enthusiastic, huge, and not very mannerly. Some of my guests are not big dog-lovers, and I don't want to impose either of them on each other.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 7,712 times
I'm new to the area and know only of one place that is north of Baltimore. It's called the Hereford Country Club for Pets. Hereford Country Club for Pets It's where we take our dog and it's not the greatest but they do what we need. Just get her bathed before she leaves! Might be too far north for you to go but a Google search should yield good results if you want something closer to the city. No matter where you end up going you've got to book as soon as you possibly can because space will most likely be limited during the holiday season.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM

44 posts, read 271,716 times
Best Friends Furever in Joppatowne.

I have alot of experience training dogs. Another option is to wear her out the day before and Thankgiving morning. You could even start tonight, taking her on very (60 min) long walks every day, and a VERY long walk T-giving morning. Or play fetch (if she retrieves) in your yard. The thing is to keep her up and alert after the walk t-giving morning. Then she will be exhausted and sleeping by the time your guests arrive. She probably will still get excited when they first arrive, but should calm down within 10-15 minutes.

Also, Harford County Humane Society has a great fenced dog park with plenty of room to run. It is rarely used (the most dogs I've ever seen at one time were 3) and huge.

Luckily I have a dog that tires easily (10 min of running and he's done). But I once had a high energy shepherd, so I know your pain.

Another life saver is the dried beef bones you can get at Petsmart. They are very hard and have dried beef on the outside. They also have sterlized (white) ones that have fillings inside (peanut butter, etc). They keep them occupied forever. (We have 3 large dogs that visit for our Christmas Eve party and these keep all of them happily playing in the corner for hours)

PM me if you need any other help/advice!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey24 View Post
Best Friends Furever in Joppatowne.

I have alot of experience training dogs. Another option is to wear her out the day before and Thankgiving morning. You could even start tonight, taking her on very (60 min) long walks every day, and a VERY long walk T-giving morning. Or play fetch (if she retrieves) in your yard. The thing is to keep her up and alert after the walk t-giving morning. Then she will be exhausted and sleeping by the time your guests arrive. She probably will still get excited when they first arrive, but should calm down within 10-15 minutes.

Also, Harford County Humane Society has a great fenced dog park with plenty of room to run. It is rarely used (the most dogs I've ever seen at one time were 3) and huge.

Luckily I have a dog that tires easily (10 min of running and he's done). But I once had a high energy shepherd, so I know your pain.

Another life saver is the dried beef bones you can get at Petsmart. They are very hard and have dried beef on the outside. They also have sterlized (white) ones that have fillings inside (peanut butter, etc). They keep them occupied forever. (We have 3 large dogs that visit for our Christmas Eve party and these keep all of them happily playing in the corner for hours)

PM me if you need any other help/advice!
Thank you! If Best Friends Furever is the place that you can see from the intersection of Mountain Road and Philadelphia Road then I know where you mean, and had been trying to find the name of it.

These are great ideas. I appreciate your help.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM

44 posts, read 271,716 times
Here's their website

Welcome to Best Friends Fur Ever!

I also have the name of a good dog walker in the area if you want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland