Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 13,810 times

Advertisements

Hi-
My husband has been offered a promotion if we move from Kentucky to work in Annapolis, MD. We are in sticker shock at the house prices so I'd like to ask more experienced marylanders about places to look. We'll be making about $73,000 the first year so we are looking for a much more affordable place than around Annapolis! Here is my wish list...

1) Less than 45 minute commute
2) Conservative area (family values)
3) Houses less than $200,000 (Closer to $100,00- $150,00 or am I dreaming?)
4) SAFE!!! (I have two girls)
Schools matter for resale value only - we homeschool. :-)

Any ideas? I greatly appreciate any help - thanks in advance!!! -Melissa

Last edited by cheysmere; 04-06-2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Calvert County south of Annapolis would fill the bill except for your house price-you're off by a factor of 2, unfortunately. The minimum you might see is around $225K, and that would be an older house without many things a lot of people today think are necessities (no AC maybe, older electrical, etc.)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks! I thought I might be dreaming. I'm guessing there must not be a lot of one-income families around wih housing prices like that! :-)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 PM

30 posts, read 128,967 times
I can believe you are in sticker shock! My husband had an interview in Lexington Kentucky. As part of the interview they flew me out and a real estate agent showed me houses around Lexington. I could not believe how much house we could get for so little money (as compared to here). The houses seemed downright cheap. I was just stunned. I wanted to move there just to live in one of the beautiful houses. Unfortunately, the job he interviewed for was less stable than the one he has now. Tough economic times dictated that we stay with the more stable job (and more expensive location) We opted to live in an apartment just to save money towards a house. East coast prices are significantly more than the midwest, unfortunately.
Good luck in your search.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks Scubagirl- I do have to say that Kentucky has been the best state to live in (Former AirForce Brat & Navy Wife) - the people are SOOO friendly and it is absolutely beautiful in most places. Hopefully you'll get another chance - things seem to be on the upswing around here....

Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
I would also recommend northern Calvert County. It is going to be a bit cheaper than the Annapolis area but you still aren't going to get anything but a condo for <200k... I am 21 and live in a tiny apartment in St. Mary's county for 1100/month. I am in the process of moving to Jacksonville, Fl at the end of the month...

Someone on this board put it perfectly when they said "MD isn't the place for someone trying to make it"...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanks Tercel95! I'm quickly getting that impression. :-)

Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
Yet another vote for Northern Calvert, but again you're going to simply have to readjust you budget unless you really want to live in a rather old place or have the wherewithall to do a fixer-upper yourself. Median prices in the DC area (and Annapolis and even Calvert are considered that) are pretty steep. But if you are looking at Annapolis I'd say check out some of these 'areas' in the realtor sites:

Anne Arundel County
Deale
Shady Side
Lothian
Harwood

Calvert County
North Beach
Chesapeake Beach
Owings
Dunkirk
Sunderland

NOTE: All of these areas are 'rural' in the Maryland sense. Nothing like Midwest rural where farms are measured in square miles and families live miles away from the nearest neighbor, but it still is somewhat rural in the sense there are farms and 'big city' or 'suburban' options like strip malls, malls, etc are a little bit of a hike (which might not be such a bad thing).

Old 04-17-2009, 04:22 PM

30 posts, read 128,967 times
FYI: The April 2009 (this month's) Baltimore magazine (baltimoremagazine.net). Is dedicated to Best places to live. They review median home prices in 2008 versus 2006 and analyze home trends. The magazine has too much info in it to describe here, but if you are looking to move to the area it might be a good investment for $3.95. It has helped us focus on areas to buy a home when we get ready to later this summer. Everyone on these boards has been helpful - but the real information I was looking for (the resale potential) is listed in the magazine.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheysmere View Post
Hi-
My husband has been offered a promotion if we move from Kentucky to work in Annapolis, MD. We are in sticker shock at the house prices so I'd like to ask more experienced marylanders about places to look. We'll be making about $73,000 the first year so we are looking for a much more affordable place than around Annapolis! Here is my wish list...

1) Less than 45 minute commute
2) Conservative area (family values)
3) Houses less than $200,000 (Closer to $100,00- $150,00 or am I dreaming?)
4) SAFE!!! (I have two girls)
Schools matter for resale value only - we homeschool. :-)

Any ideas? I greatly appreciate any help - thanks in advance!!! -Melissa
I admire u homeschool the children, they'll learn a lot more than other kids who are basicly taught to be lost upon graduation. I would suggest baltimore but that may be an urban shock. Plus many for that price would not be in great condition. Fortunately I dont think the rural towns are too far his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland