Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,193 times

Advertisements

we are planning to move to howard county and let us know what is the good schools for middle and high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulse View Post
we are planning to move to howard county and let us know what is the good schools for middle and high.
What can you afford? The better the reputation the more expensive the housing. Notice I didn't say the better the school.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM

23 posts, read 85,590 times
Most of the reputed better public schools are, of course, in the more expensive areas in the western part of Howard County (such as River Hill, Marriotts Ridge). Centennial is a prennially strong school and you can live in a neighborhood that costs less than the ones out west such as Dunloggin, Grey Rock, and many more. The problem with HoCo is that the middle schools are weak compared to the high schools so check them out too. Also, HoCo redistricts a lot so you could move to a neighborhood and have your kids switch schools because of the redistricting. There are also great parochial and private school options. If you can afford it, Glenelg Country School is tremendous, at least it is for our us. Also choosing a non-public school won't limit where you have to live and you don't have to be concerned with the effects of redistricting.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 9,193 times
Thanks Burgh21.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 PM

30 posts, read 128,967 times
You can research the schools for yourself here: See their SAT grades, graduation rate, % going to 4 year college, ect. Centennial has some of the highest scores, but many of the others are close behind.
Howard County Public School System (Click on School report next to the schools you are interested in reading about - gives a 2 page fact sheet)

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 48,086 times
Does anyone have info. about redistricting school districts in Howard Co.? I've heard that it is done there often. So I could buy a house in the Centennial HD district and then 2 years later be told that we are now in a worse one? Any info. on this would be appreciated!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

332 posts, read 1,279,784 times
njfam, are you from NJ? If you are it definitely is not like NJ where your school is determined by town.

Howard County Public School System

The link will give you information on current plans and plans since 2008. You can look up your address and see if you are in any of the proposed redistricting. If you can find a neighborhood where you would walk to your school of choice then you would be able to decrease your chances of being redistrict in future years. I think the county tries to maximize the number of walkers. FYI, I believe Centennial is overcrowded per the report. I know in the past people were redistricted out of Centennial to Wilde Lake.

Good Luck.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,387 times
After staring at the June 2009 feasibility studies for area adjustment on the HCPSS website, it looks like no changes are planned for Centennial HS through 2013. Things can always change, of course, and I could have missed something since it's hard to read in that format. For high schools the changes appear to be with River Hill and Glenelg, and Howard and Long Reach.

njfam, you can always call the school board about any area you're interested. Also, feel free to send me a pm if you have a specific question. I'm in the Centennial district and have sat on many redistricting committees. I can probably give you an idea of what areas would be subject to being sent elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland