Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:10 PM

49 posts, read 215,689 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else heard rumors that there is a chance that the BRAC move (Ft Monmouth NJ to APG MD) might not be happening?
Apparently the cost for the move has tripled since the original estimate a few years ago? They are supposedly also doing a study to see what effect the move would have on NJ and the outlook is bleak.
Anyone else heard anything?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 PM

205 posts, read 824,543 times
Considering that the DOD's budget is facing an initial 10% cut followed by even deeper cuts in the next two years, I do not find that news hard to believe. The media, NAR, and other organizations severely overestimate the amount of people coming to the area as a result of the BRAC. Furthermore, they do not account for those who have already transferred. The most I've heard was that it was on-hold and moves are being delayed now.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
Considering that the DOD's budget is facing an initial 10% cut followed by even deeper cuts in the next two years, I do not find that news hard to believe. The media, NAR, and other organizations severely overestimate the amount of people coming to the area as a result of the BRAC. Furthermore, they do not account for those who have already transferred. The most I've heard was that it was on-hold and moves are being delayed now.
Plus the people in Jersey who are willing to come can't sell their homes. There are lots of folks who want to sell their homes who are holding out listing waiting for what was the promised BRAC surge and a hopeful uptick in prices. Once they realize it probably isn't going to happen watch prices and the number of listings coming on the market.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,018 times
While I'm sure it is being studied, I also think it would take a massive effort to undo a BRAC decision. It's not a can of worms that is easily closed once you start changing one decision here or there. Just because no one has physically moved yet doesn't mean the process isn't underway. Millions in transportation fixes and other changes are already budgeted and underway, and to change something after it's already started often means lawsuits and chaos.

I also think economic impact on an area (i.e. how it hurts NJ) is not the primary concern in a BRAC decision. While it is considered, that alone is not enough to change it (last I checked).

Old 03-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
Just because no one has physically moved yet doesn't mean the process isn't underway.
That's a common misconception I've heard from real estate agents in particular. They don't think anyone has moved yet. However, a lot of people have already moved. The whole process is over half way finished. A lot of people are now opting to commute if they can since they either can't sell their houses or won't pay the high price of living in Maryland close to work. Some of the contractors expanding bases to make way for the BRAC are having major financial issues forcing some projects to be put on hold on top of a lot of people who can't seem to sell their homes and make the move.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
BigDragon -

What have you heard about the Ordnance folks heading down to Ft. Lee with the BRAC movement?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
BigDragon -

What have you heard about the Ordnance folks heading down to Ft. Lee with the BRAC movement?
Sorry, I haven't heard anything about that. Nobody talks about it during lunch. The focus is normally on Aberdeen, Ft. Meade, and Andrews when the subject comes up.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,683 times
I bet the Harford Co Gov't folks will be crying if BRAC doesn't happen...That's a lot of lost money.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
While I'm sure it is being studied, I also think it would take a massive effort to undo a BRAC decision.
As Penguin states, it would take a massive efffort to undo BRAC legislation. The BRAC process was created precisely for that reason - to make it nearly impossible to stop once agreed to and under implementation.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 AM

49 posts, read 215,689 times
Thanks so much for all your replies - I tend to be hearing the same thing...that BRAC is almost impossible to stop once it's started. I truly hope that nothing changes - I really want to move to MD! I am excited to get the heck out of NJ!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland