Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 AM

10 posts, read 5,568 times

Advertisements

In a minor fender bender, it might be no big deal. But in a serious accident involving serious injuries and perhaps death....and hundreds of thousands of dollars in coverage, you bet they will investigate thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 01:49 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemad View Post
I moved to Maryland from Virginia a month ago. What would happen if I don't get Maryland license plates, tags and registration? Keep in mind, I have updated my insurance, but I have a buddy who also moved here and he was very angry about having to pay approximately $800 to switch his title and registration from VA to MD (MD apparently taxes vehicles 3% from VA even if they are old since the MD state tax is 6% and VA is 3%)

I think it's a waste of my time and money to have to go through this process, especially since I'm not entirely sure I will live in Maryland long-term, I'm already thinking of moving back to Virginia once my lease is up.

Any thoughts, experiences?
Several years ago my daughter moved out to CA and was there for about 7 weeks and a CHIP officer pulled her over (for Maryland Tags)and gave her tickets worth almost $900 for not switching over everything with in 30 days ,car , registration ,License and Insurance.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You'll also need to have the car safety inspected in MD
(an actually strict standard btw)
Let's see. Lights work, check. No cracked or broken glass or light lenses, check. The tires are good, check. The brakes and suspension are good, check. The exhaust system doesn't have any holes in it, check.

It seems reasonable to me. Any car that is maintained on a regular basis should easily pass the Maryland State Vehicle Inspection. We have the same inspection in North Carolina. The difference is we get our cars inspected every year. It's keeps junk off of the roads. A problem that Maryland does have.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Any car that is maintained on a regular basis should easily pass the Maryland State Vehicle Inspection.
Well, the NC Inspection at least.

Quote:
We have the same inspection in North Carolina.
No... we absolutely do not! READ THIS LINK
A cursory visual look over and an OBD read out is NOT an inspection.

Quote:
The difference is we get our cars inspected every year.
Well, we pay the $35 fee every year; even though as you have indicated the largest majority of cars
(the newer ones) shouldn't require an inspection annually. iow... it's just a money grab.

Did you have some other objection to consumer protections for used car buyers?
This topic does tend to draw the pique of used car sellers. Is that you?

Last edited by MrRational; 08-12-2019 at 04:43 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 05:22 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Let's see. Lights work, check. No cracked or broken glass or light lenses, check. The tires are good, check. The brakes and suspension are good, check. The exhaust system doesn't have any holes in it, check.

It seems reasonable to me. Any car that is maintained on a regular basis should easily pass the Maryland State Vehicle Inspection. We have the same inspection in North Carolina. The difference is we get our cars inspected every year. It's keeps junk off of the roads. A problem that Maryland does have.
Quote:
Well, the NC Inspection at least.

No... we absolutely do not! READ THIS LINK

Well, we pay the $35 fee every year; even though as you have indicated the largest majority of cars
(the newer ones) shouldn't require an inspection annually. iow... it's just a money grab.

The Maryland safety inspection is considered one of the toughest in the US. I've brought cars from PA that had just gone through that state's yearly inspection to Maryland that failed here.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:

If done to the book, the NC inspection is almost as rigorous as Maryland's. Vehicles brought in from other states get the full inspection. When I moved to NC from Maryland they did a full teardown inspection including things like inspecting the complete emissions system, pulling wheels and checking the brake linings etc. They're not as anal about some things like allowing cracks in windows as long as they're not in a driver's field of vision.

No, I don't sell used cars or any cars.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Military get away with it,anyone else no.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:58 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Military get away with it,anyone else no.

Military don't "get away with it" Active Duty Military are protected by Federal law from being charged everytime they change their duty station. But even then in some states they are not protected if the vehicle is titled in both the member and spouse's name. (Virginia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland