Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,326 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm a recent grad and moving from the South to work in Massachusetts. I am having trouble finding rentals in the area. Any suggestions on places or rental agencies? I'm looking for a one or two bedroom around or under $1000/month. I would really appreciate your help! It's a bit difficult to get this set up from 15 hours away.

I was really hoping to find a relatively modern complex with exercise facilities, but in my online searches, I'm not finding much. It seems most places don't have laundry facilities inside apartments. Is that the norm in the area?

ANY advice is welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 PM

548 posts, read 2,098,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meger View Post
It seems most places don't have laundry facilities inside apartments. Is that the norm in the area?
Yes, that's the norm here. Usually the washers/driers for tenants, if any, are in a separate laundry room in your price range. Most rentals are done in person through local ads, not long distance or through agencies.

You're a little late. Rentals are school year driven and very competitive. Most rental agreements for the September semester happen in late July or early August and the best places are already taken. Many landlords in the Amherst area begin their leases on Aug 15th so if the tenant backs out they can find someone for Sept 1, and an extra months buffer at the end when students skip out on the summer rent.

Look at the Hampshire Gazette and craigslist. What town do you need?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,326 times
I'll be working just outside Amherst (west of). But I'm OK with up to a 30-min drive. So I am considering Springfield, Amherst, Northampton, South Hadley, Easthampton, Holyoke and Chicopee.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM

325 posts, read 926,100 times
You are more likely to find an apartment in a converted old house raher than in a 'Complex'. There just aren't a lot of complexes in New England, especially western mass. I'd focus on Northampton/Amherst area if you are searching from afar. A little pricier, but some parts of Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee can be sketchy.

Try the UMass housing page - its a good resource for finding apartments UMass Off Campus Housing: Search for Housing

Also rentnoho.com, western mass craigslist

Hathaway Farms in Northampton is one of the nicer complexes (townhouses) that comes to mind.
Hampton Court in downtown Northampton is in a fantastic location, but the apartments I've seen there are mediocre.

Last edited by wmass; 08-19-2010 at 03:01 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,103,272 times
why not look in Greenfield or belchertown.both are decent towns close to Amherst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts