Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM

548 posts, read 2,099,121 times

Advertisements

I never thought I'd say this, but...Greenfield has moved out of stagnation over the last year or two and is fast becoming the center for art, music and alternative energy in the region.

Downtown is undergoing a major revitalization. The Music and Arts Block is poised to be the most happening place to rival Northampton as a live music venue and for fine arts. The restaurant scene has everything you can want at reasonable prices. The town has approved a biomass facility and the Mayor has made a personal commitment to providing the town's energy needs with green and alternative energy sources.

The schools have been gaining statewide recognition for innovation and forward thinking programs. Plenty of open land and parks, the Green River for river recreation, the Green River Festival and Wormtown Festival for fantastic music, the Farmer's Market, stable housing market, and one of the last places in Massachusetts to get a great house for $200K. Glad I stuck it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM

Honest, it is. I'm not jokin'.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM

36 posts, read 125,267 times
My wife and I like Greenfield, it is definitely on the move up with cool restaurants and other revitalization efforts, but I don't agree that it will "rival Northampton" any time soon. Strictly from a music standpoint, a couple of music festivals do not make a music scene (and I have been to both you mentioned and find them both fantastic). And while you can catch live music at the People's Pint and a few other bars in the area, there is not any true music club in Greenfield, while Noho has the Calvin for big shows, and both Pearl Street and Iron Horse for smaller shows along with numerous clubs/bars offering live music most nights of the week.

Please prove me wrong, Greenfield is a consideration for us to relocate to in our 5-year plan, and a cool music scene would definitely help in our decision!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM

The momentum is there, the musicians are moving here, and the area's money people smell opportunity in the nascent arts & music scene.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 PM

36 posts, read 125,267 times
Seriously I hope you're right. Not only am I interested in eventually living in the area, but I'm a musician in my own right (more as a hobby than a career, but enough that I play out consistently).

Jer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts