Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 AM

84 posts, read 177,981 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I will be taking a week vacation to Peabody to vist some family and also of course to see nearby attractions. It has been several years since I have been. Could anyone suggest what would be their must see attractions within an hour of Peabody (Boston, Gloucester, Salem, etc) including restaurants, museums, historical landmarks, shopping, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Freedom Trail

Minuteman Park and the North Bridge in Concord/Lexington

Plimoth Plantation, Plymouth Ma.

Sam Adams Brewery in Boston

Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall in Boston

What kind of food/restuarants do you like?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Newburyport

Old 09-07-2010, 06:12 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Essex,MA go kayaking with ERBA or take a cruise - Essex River Cruises. Have fried clams at The Clam Box in Ipwich or Farnhams in Essex. Go to Rocky Neck in Gloucester. The Studio has nice views and the food is passable. Or eat at Cruiseport in Gloucester. Halibut Point in Rockport is a nice hike and amazing views. All these places can be Googled. 10 Center St in NBPT is nice; so is Glens. Crane Beach in Ipswich is stunning. Go there.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 AM

84 posts, read 177,981 times
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try those places. I plan to go to the DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Garden which looks really nice. Even though it is a bit of a drive we plan to go to the Big E fair with family while we are there. Is this a really great fair? It looks so crowded on the website. I really like seafood and do look forward to going to some restaurants while we are there. We are going apple picking too. We plan to try to fit as much as we can into each day. We will be there from Saturday to Saturday. This may be a really silly question, but is it still warm enough to swim. The beaches look gorgeous. I am originally from the gulf coast and you usually can swim there through October. Thanks again. Cheryl

Old 09-10-2010, 05:48 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
For Boston, I'd suggest walking Charles Street, the Common/Public Garden, and then walking past the old cemeteries and eat at the ancient Union Oyster House. (The food isn't that great, but you can't beat the history). I'd skip Faneuil Hall unless you want to see the architecture.
Singing Beach in Manchester-by-the-Sea. A great place to walk a bit and see rocky shores and the ocean, and there's parking right there, now that the season is over. (Probably too cold to swim, although a friend of mine has been swimming in Gloucester all summer, for the first time ever, due to the warmth of the water).
Have a great trip!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:06 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem
The Paper House in Rockport
Strawberry Banke historic district in Portsmouth, NH

For fine dining, My Place by the Sea in Rockport; for fine "diving," Causeway Restaurant in Gloucester

Rockport's Dock Square and Bearskin Neck are great for strolling and shopping for everything from Chinese knickknacks to "homemade" candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts