Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM

25 posts, read 50,969 times

Advertisements

Hi all, any help would be greatly appreciated. My family and I are moving to MA but are having a difficult time narrowing down places to live. The safety and schools are the biggest concerns. The comute to work is another consideration. I will be working in the surrounding Boston towns and in the central to norhtern parts of North Shore. I guess an hour ride isnt so bad to get a home in a rural setting. The problem I find is we find a nice safe section and the schools arent that good, and so goes the oppisite. Any ideas of a place safe and with good school between Worcester and Boston kind of in the northernly sections?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,436,292 times
Where specifically will you be working and what is your budget?

Off the top of my head I am thinking that Littleton would be a safe bet. Excellent access to Route 2 and 495

If you want to be a bit further east or north, then Acton, Boxboro or Bedford are nice communities. A bit further west, perhaps Lancaster.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM

925 posts, read 2,744,217 times
Where in the north shore will you be working? Are you looking for a home that's accessible to public transit? We've found Lynnfield to be a popular choice for several of our clients who moved here to work at North Shore Medical. The schools are rated highly & it's a very pretty, quiet suburb. For a more country setting, Hamilton & Wenham are lovely. The schools are also rated very well & there's train access into North Station.

ps. You can check out www.mbta.com for train routes. The Newburyport/Rockport line is the one that goes along the north shore.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 AM

I think that we need to stay around 250000-275000, and some land would be nice. I will be working around Beverly,Danvers,Peabody, and alittle north and the other job will take me just north and west of Boston and the outter outlining towns. So I thought north alittle like in the Wocester county. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,308,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymedic View Post
I think that we need to stay around 250000-275000, and some land would be nice. I will be working around Beverly,Danvers,Peabody, and alittle north and the other job will take me just north and west of Boston and the outter outlining towns. So I thought north alittle like in the Wocester county. Thanks.
It seems it would be very tough in that price range. The area is expensive. Also, anything in Worcester County to Danvers or Beverly is quite a trek. I don't think there's any way it could be done in anything close to an hour during the rush hour.

I'm not terribly familiar with the prices, but perhaps the Dracut, Tyngsboro, Pepperell area?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,436,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymedic View Post
I think that we need to stay around 250000-275000, and some land would be nice. I will be working around Beverly,Danvers,Peabody...

You might be able to buy just the land in a north of Boston town for $250-275K! You want to buy a house and the land for that price?

Even in northern Worcester County I think you would be hard pressed to find a decent house in a decent town for under $300K. Maybe others can provide some input, I wouldn't even know where to look.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM

Thanks, we have looked in Pepperell, Townsend, Ashby, and there are some really nice places with lots of land and they are very affordable. Any idea of the schools there?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
More, I'm thinking that there aren't very good west-east commute roads. If I had to work on the North Shore, as the OP is saying, I think I'd go north.
And yes, unfortunately, the price range isn't likely to get anything the OP wants.
Don't know anything about the schools in the towns mentioned. They are reasonable working people towns with some new houses spread around. No reasonable commute that I can think of. Lots of land? Interesting.
Best wishes on the move.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Ok so have gotten work but my house in philly hasnt sold. I need to find a cheap apt, any ideas near or in salem?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 AM

39 posts, read 164,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You might be able to buy just the land in a north of Boston town for $250-275K! You want to buy a house and the land for that price?

Even in northern Worcester County I think you would be hard pressed to find a decent house in a decent town for under $300K. Maybe others can provide some input, I wouldn't even know where to look.
I wouldn't say it's too difficult. $300k will get you a decent two-story house in the Fitchburg area, though I would definitely go for Leominster or Lunenburg over Fitchburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts