Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:18 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,899 times

Advertisements

I know the condo vs. house thing has been beaten to death, and there are those who would never consider a condo (especially a small 2 or 3 unit association). But my husband and I have been condo-owners for 10 years, the first 5 years in a 26-unit association, and for the past 5 in a 2-unit association. So, we're not strangers to the issues involved. But now we're stuck. We'd like to find a forever house, or at least a 10 year house. Our dream is to move back to Coolidge Corner (where we lived before moving to Davis Sq.). We have a 4 year old, so schools are an issue, and we're committed to going the public school route. However, Brookline means a condo for us (under 1 million, there's practically no chance for a single family). But, we're not sure whether a condo will make us happy for 10 years, even if it's a good situation (i.e. even if we love our neighbors/fellow association members, will we still wish we had a single family).

So, we're also looking in Newton and Lexington. There we could get a great single family (at least great by our standards). But, we'd miss out on the more city-like aspects of Brookline that we really, really love.
I will say that in the past when we've sacrificed on location we've regretted it. On the other hand, how lucky are we that we can consider Newton or Lexington a sacrifice? Maybe we're being ridiculous.

Anyone care to offer any advice? Are we crazy to consider a condo as a "forever home"? Should we stick to our preferred location? I've really gotten a lot from reading these forums, so thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM

40 posts, read 139,592 times
I love urban living--lived forever on Porter Sq--later moved to Belmont--that was more than suburban for me--quite a shocker at first. I vote for a home--I would go to Lexington in a heartbeat. Everything you need Lexington has in the downtown area, and it is quite walkable without huge crowds of CC. Bike path is right there too.
I think you would find condo living tiring/restricting at some point, and if you have more kids even sooner. Family needs to be alone sometimes, and kids need sense of freedom when playing. With all the benefits of Belmont living, I am sick and tired telling my kids to keep it down (even if they are not particularly loud) for neighbors sake. Also I dream about not sharing the yard, and just leting them play outside without always needing to get ready for the park. Also, I do not know a anybody who lives/lived upstairs with kid or more and who did not, at some point, had complaints from a dowstairs neighbor. Also think about playdates (as they growing up and making more friends-more playdates at home), potential birthday parties at home etc...House will give you more of flexibility. Condo is glorified apartment, and huge lottery in terms of neighbors, and especially when kids involved. Yes, it could work in condo too, but why go there if you have a choice?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 PM

234 posts, read 628,941 times
I don't think you're crazy to live condo. We might be contemplating the same thing, moving to Brookline, we'd definitely be in a condo, and at some point our kids will be in the (very good) public schools. I'd say if you really want Brookline, go for it. If you hate it enough to want to move, you'll find out!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
Honestly, I would consider renting in Coolidge Corner for a couple of years. You've already had "house envy" so you probably aren't the permanent urban family types, but you're not quite ready for the suburbs. A lot of people have an aversion to renting, especially if they currently own, but it can be a much smarter choice than buying a condo for the short term and making a potentially bad financial investment.

The down side is that yes, if you don't end up buying a house in Brookline, you'll have to pull your child out of the school he knows; but little kids are remarkably adaptable. It's usually easier for a 2nd grader to change schools than a 5th grader. The other down side is that we don't know what'll happen with the housing market. Maybe this is the time to buy. But who knows.

Newton Center is another option. It's a bit like Coolidge Corner with all the shops and restaurants and it's right on the T. Houses within walking distance are probably expensive, but if it's out of your price range, you can always try and rent for a couple of years and then buy a house in another part of Newton. You'd keep your child in the same school district (even if not in the same elem school).

In my opinion, it sounds as if you and your husband need 2-4 years in your dream location and then the urge for the house may outweigh the location. And if not, it may give you enough time to get to the place in your careers where you can afford a house in the dream location.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 AM

64 posts, read 159,761 times
I agree that renting first to get a feel of what it's like to live in Brookline with a family is a good idea. I am always amazed: in Europe, and even in NYC, everyone lives in apartments, and somehow it works. But here, it seems, as soon as you've got a kid, suddenly, you need a house. Even my husband (european) has adapted that mentality... and he grew up with 6 people in a 4 bedroom apartment! The good thing about Brookline is that you've got the best of both worlds there: move away a bit from Beacon street, and even if you live in a two family or a condo, you have yourself a pretty suburban-looking neighborhood. The side streets off Harvard st in Coolidge corner have a lot of large victorians that have been split into two. You'll have neighbors, but it's almost like living in a house. Also, I think Brookline village has asome new townhouse type condos built, too, may be a nice compromise.

All that being said. Newton is probably the next best thing. I grew up in Newton, and as teenager longing for excitement, I thought it was deep suburbia and longed for the bustle of New York (ended up in college in Waltham, go figure). But now in my 30s, I realize that given how most of America lives, Newton is actually pretty lively while maintaining that easy suburban living style too. It's a large city, area-wise, and it has various little villages where you have shops and restaurants. There's Newton Center, Newtonville (right next to the big new fancy high school), West Newton, Newton Highlands, even Newton Corner is coming around a bit. Public schools are excellent. (I;m also anti-private, so I get that) And you have public transportation if you need it, but it is just as easy to hop in your car with your carseat, child and dog, or whatever, and drive somewhere - where you will find parking without an issue. However, be careful, because it Newton, you will also have trouble finding a nice house under a million bucks. A million and a half is more like it probably, for the areas I mentioned. There are "crappier" areas of Newton (Upper Falls, for example), but then, it's not worth living there because it's just like living in deep suburbia.

Lexington, I don't know much about, but I think it's probably another degree removed from city living, so you may not like it all that much.

Anyway - I would go for location for the first couple of years, save up some good money, and when you've got a second kid, and a condo ain't cutting it, buy yourself a nice home within walking distance of Newtoville!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Thank you all for the great input. We're doing a lot of house/condo visiting in the next week or two, so maybe seeing a bunch of places in person will help us decide. So many good points made here. I printed out all your responses :-)

Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
Something not brought up that you really should consider is the value of your investment. Condos will never be as stable as single family homes. Especially in our current economic state. For that reason alone I'd rule out condos.

I could be wrong but I think there might be some single family homes in Brookline under $1M. You didn't go into your exact budget but I'm imagining it is fairly healthy.

The only way it might make sense is if you found a diamond in the rough, rehabbed it and lived in it for a good time (10 years) and then sold later. It didn't sound like that was your plan. Otherwise, you could be left with a overpriced condo in 5-7 years and wishing you had got that single family home. Trapped...

From Newton you can take the Green Line right into the city. The best of both worlds. Best of luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Brookline. Brookline is a great place to grow up. Last time I checked, BHS was the top tenth public HS in the nation. Many students have colleges trying to recruit them in early. You get the suburban safety, but you are just a long walk away from the charm of the city.

I'm also bias because I grew up in the Coolidge Corner area.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
Only you can decide, but if you have the "itch" to be in a single-family home, it's likely that you'll regret moving into a condo. It'll be OK initially, then that itch will sink back in. We had a home where we used to live, relocated to this area and are renting for now. I really miss having my own house and we do plan to buy one eventually.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 AM

199 posts, read 948,589 times
I'm going to put another spin on this decision. You have a 4-year-old son, right? I can identify with this decision because we have a 5-year-old son and lived in a co-op in NYC for the last 5 years before moving back to MA this year.

Here's some questions to ask yourself. How many families with children around your son's age live in Brookline, Lexington, or Newton or in the area where you plan to buy? Are there more twenty-somethings or baby boomers who have teens than those with children under 8/10 years old? How will your son get back and forth to school (i.e. crossing busy or quiet streets)? Do you have easy access to playgrounds and places for your son to go when he's older with other kids? How many afternoon clubs and activities are there? Will you have enough storage in the condo for the 8-year-old son who is active? Noise factor or other factors single-family home owners do not face (i.e. who moves in or disobeys condo rules)?

Lexington, Newton, and Brookline have excellent school systems. However, if you look at the demographic statistics for Brookline, households with children under 18 comprise about 16% of the population. Other towns, like Sudbury for instance, have considerably higher number of children under 18 - over 50%. You may want to consider looking into some of these demographics to help you decide on where to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts