Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times

Advertisements

Quilterchick, I just checked it again. I'm not having any problem retrieving or navigating the site. I'll check if there are other avenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM

The only other "Hideaway Village" I can find is in Colorado. Other than that......all I get is THIS thread!
Scummers on rocks.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideawaybabe07 View Post
I have a little cottage in Hideaway Village, and it is great. I spend most of my summer there, and often part of the fall. I promise, you will enjoy it
Thank you.

It really looks nice there. The location is awesome, and they allow dogs. I'm going to look further into it.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Hideaway Village sits on Buttermilk Bay and is a lovely location. It's had a somewhat sketchy, but improving reputation. While all the cottages are very old, many are very dated and not winterized. Hideaway was not a "planned" community and it's very dense and compact. It has been considered one of the cheapest Cape Cod getaways. It was also known for a lot of cheap rentals, both winter and year round. Inexpensive rentals can attract all sorts of people. Not sure about what their owner occupancy rate is now, but it's something to check into.
Many of the cottages have been updated beautifully. If you are looking for something relatively inexpensive, this may be your spot. It's not what most would think of as quintessential Cape Cod. Not "chi-chi" at all and in fact rather funky. Something I've always found very attractive about it.
My only recommendation would be to get as close to Buttermilk Bay as possible, staying away from Head of the Bay Rd. Closer to the Bay is more expensive, but those units are generally better maintained and updated and not rentals. Many of them are quite charming.
The location is also very convenient. Close to Wareham, in Bourne/Buzzards Bay. Walmart, Home Depot, and supermarkets not too far away.
Although I'm sure you've already visited, I'll post this link anyway:
Hideaway Village Condominium Association (http://www.hideaway-village.com/history.html - broken link)
Best of Luck!

Cathy: When I click on the above link, the map etc. comes up fine. But if you click on "photo gallery" .... nothing comes up (for me at least). I'd like to get a peek at what these condos look like. As a New Englander, now living in NC, I would someday like to retire to the Cape. On a budget.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM

I hadn't checked the gallery, to be honest. No pictures for me, either. That may be because some of the units are ugly as sin. Few are actually what you would call attractive. It's more the location and price that make Hideaway attractive.
But to give you an example, I searched Realtordotcom for cottages available in the complex. To narrow your search, use zip code 02532 (Bourne/BuzzardsBay), look for condos under $150,000. I've never seen one that expensive but I used that amount just to be safe.
Here's one I found that's pretty much middle of the road. I've seen some much worse and many that have been more updated.
Home for Sale at 2 Wild Rose Dr Unit: C Bourne MA - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #70809145 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 PM

This is another one:
63d The Hollow Unit: 63d Bourne MA Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #71155419 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-23-2011, 04:43 PM

And another. You can see how the appearances of the units can vary.
26 Bog View Dr Buzzards Bay MA Home for Sale - Real Estate Listings - MLS #21101788 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
And another. You can see how the appearances of the units can vary.
26 Bog View Dr Buzzards Bay MA Home for Sale - Real Estate Listings - MLS #21101788 - Realtor.com®

Excellent Cathy! thank you. As a retired Realtor myself, I don't know why I didn't think of looking on Realtor.com Two heads are sure better than one. The cottages are adorable, and bring back some very good memories. An aunt and uncle of mine had a cottage on Buttermilk bay, it may have even been in there, the beach looks very familiar. I have a photo of my dad holding big fish in front of the cottage. But it was a two story bungalow with a front porch and it was on the water. My sister and I used to put our rubber boots on to go in the water "clamming" or quohauging, whichever, but we called it clamming and we had a little boat. The condos are little beach cottages converted to year round homes. I wonder about the insulation, and no basements I would assume.

Next time I am up on the Cape (this summer I hope), I'll take a ride over there and see what's what. Thank you so much for sending those pics ! How is the market on the Cape? I have some great friends who live on the bay side of the Cape, and like here in the Blue Ridge Mtns., they pretty much stay around the house in the summer. The tourists make traffic unbearable over on 28, and say that 6A is getting bumper to bumper at times also. So Buttermilk Bay is probably a good location .... get the tourists over the bridge and out of the way. lol !

Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM

There are definitely two-story homes there and some do have basements, most are finished for extra living space. Some, of course, are on slabs or have crawl spaces. Hideaway could definitely be the place you remember. Many residents have boats and launch them right off the beach.
You have the perfect mentality for Cape Cod! Find a place you like and stay the heck outta the way during peak driving times.
Another advantage of Hideaway is that it's BEFORE the Bourne Bridge and you can exit the highway well before the traffic starts backing up, take a couple of back roads through Wareham and be there in no time.
As I said, many don't like Hideaway but I like it a lot. Never met anyone there who was not welcoming. I love the way it's definitely not cookie-cutter.
Funky, friendly and affordable.........who wouldn't want that?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks Cathy, I'll check out the village this summer when I go up to visit family and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts