Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I'm sure there are many people who feel the same way you do, especially if they aren't buying for a family. I totally agree in shopping local. The problem is with some of our small local markets is the quality suffers in the off season and it's hard to justify supporting local business when they charge top dollar for poor quality. I do like Fancy's Market in Osterville. Great prices, service and quality no matter what time of year. Just a little out of the way for us. In the summer, we either grow our produce or buy at Farmer's Markets.

Market Basket, while being a chain is a true locally owned company. The owners are from the North Shore but do also have ties to the Cape with summer homes. Stop and Shop is owned by a Dutch Company and Shaws, a company from the UK.
I can't justify a 60 mile round trip for food. There wouldn't be any savings. lol Trader Joe's is in Hyannis and I've never gone into it. I was GM of two stores in an upscale food store chain in DC. Trader Joe's doesn't hold a candle. I'm not saying Stop and Hop is local or Shaw's, but I can't complain with the way they run their businesses down this end. And I only drive 10 miles round trip, not 60. I'll check it out when I'm driving through, but I won't go out of my way for a weekly shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
I'm curious as to what else they're going to put into that mall which has always been pretty lame, as said in a previous post. At least if I go to S&S in Falmouth or Wareham, I can also hit Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. (although Wal-Mart in Falmouth is pitiful on it's best day). There's going to have to be something other than a supermarket to make it worth my trip to Sagamore.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
I'm curious as to what else they're going to put into that mall which has always been pretty lame, as said in a previous post. At least if I go to S&S in Falmouth or Wareham, I can also hit Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. (although Wal-Mart in Falmouth is pitiful on it's best day). There's going to have to be something other than a supermarket to make it worth my trip to Sagamore.
is there a stop and shop in wareham? i usually go to shaws at wareham...but looks like they aren't doing too well and i'm worried about their fate...same for the shaws in fairhaven. business was already bad at S&S/shaws in fairhaven...even worse now with market basket in NB

Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
It's going to be interesting Cathy. Originally it looked like the MB was going to be put right next to the highway, and the existing stores would stay intact and try to attract new tenants. (I was at the outlet mall over the winter and numerous sales people stated their companies were holding out in hopes that the supermarket would attract crowds) Now with the plan to tear down the entire mall and make MB bigger, who knows? I do know that Kyler's in New Bedford has capitalized on being so close to MB. I do believe, local businesses over here in Sandwich can benefit from MB. I know myself when I make a trip up route 3 for anything, I make an entire day of it with stops at other local retailers and/or out to lunch with friends. Like many have said, it's not worth it for me to drive up just for one stop so it helps to have other things around that will draw someone. My dream would be a Target but not so sure that would fly. I hate the "Marts" both Wal and K. So it is either up to Kingston or over to Wareham for Target shopping.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
is there a stop and shop in wareham?
East Wareham, Cranberry Highway.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,722 times
one reason why i love living where i am now is the proximity to wareham crossing....one of my absolute fav place to shop....a pity borders is closed now but the relatively new tjmaxx more than makes up for that!!

dartmouth is a great place for shopping too...at least there's a jo-ann there. plymouth - long pond, old colony, independence mall are super awesome but a slightly longer drive away. if i do move to plymouth...it's probably 'cos of the malls....muahahaha

Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Wareham Crossing is great but I miss TJMaxx on Cranberry Highway. Now I hit TJ's, Homegoods and Staples in Falmouth when I go there. Wareham Crossing is just too out of the way and inconvenient. I'm sure it's more convenient for those towns on the other side of Wareham.
If MB is the only "attraction" in Sagamore, I fear for it's survival.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
If MB is the only "attraction" in Sagamore, I fear for it's survival.
I don't know. They do a LOT of market research before putting a new store in any one location. They also ask "zip code" when you shop there and I am sure they use that type of tracking to see how feasible a new store will be in a particular location. And the fact that they are building bigger tells me that they New Bedford store has been a big draw from the Cape on a consistent basis.

Who knows, a month after opening I might be moaning about the traffic implications.

I understand your concerns and frustrations though Cathy. I think MB has all but ruined the chances of a large grocery store going into the old Grand Union building on McArthur BLVD and the only Bourne chain grocer will be inconvenient for the masses. It will only make traffic on Sandwich Road more unbearable.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 PM

91 posts, read 280,329 times
Midcape here and I won't travel for Market Basket either.

I do love Roche Bros, though....

Old 06-03-2011, 06:07 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
South shore here..wish I had a Market Basket closer...

Groceries are heating up though. 10 years ago I wouldn't have thought drug stores would carry milk and eggs..

There's a rumor that in wareham that the walmart will close and open across from the new plaza (by the target/lowes/bestbuy etc)

It used to be a few grocery places..now there's costco, sam's club, walmart, trader joes, whole foods, job lot, "dollar" ones and of course online ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts