Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM

91 posts, read 189,632 times

Advertisements

I really love the coast and Salem, but in order to move to Mass we might have to be further inland because of the prices. Plus, if I am going to be fair and open about things, I have lived in Indiana most of my life, in the rural areas of this part of the country all of my life, and somewhat more rural is probably more suited to me and my husband and children than being in a big city suburb. Probably, anyway...

I'd think our budget for a home would be topped at about 280,000. I'm 42, will probably be 45-47 before we'd ever move. Hubby is 46 and will probably be 49-51 before the big "uproot". We love independent, interesting stores, bookstores, arts/crafts, antiques, museums, nice restaurants, a town that is enjoyable and walkable. Our two youngest children will be in highschool by that time, so good schools will be on the list. We want a town to be proud of that has nice stores, perhaps some tourism. I work as an RN and will have my nurse practioner's license by then so I would like to work at a wound care center or decent sized hospital, perhaps. My husband works in IT as a network engineer and has 22 years experience in that and related fields. He's hoping for IT in an industry that's less 24/7, as is the hospital group that he works at in Cincinnati, OH right now...maybe IT for colleges or something?

I'm probably leaving lots of things out, but I haven't considered W. Mass before and don't know a thing about it except a brief drive we took through the Berkshires (really pretty, but kind of far out from everything. We already know what living far out from everything is, we'd like to be a little closer to the above-mentioned things). We're taking a trip to Salem for a week in early October, and we'll have a day to stay overnight somewhere in W. Mass, scouting things out. Where do you think a good place to stay for all these things might be?

No small order, eh?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,990,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post
I really love the coast and Salem, but in order to move to Mass we might have to be further inland because of the prices. Plus, if I am going to be fair and open about things, I have lived in Indiana most of my life, in the rural areas of this part of the country all of my life, and somewhat more rural is probably more suited to me and my husband and children than being in a big city suburb. Probably, anyway...

I'd think our budget for a home would be topped at about 280,000. I'm 42, will probably be 45-47 before we'd ever move. Hubby is 46 and will probably be 49-51 before the big "uproot". We love independent, interesting stores, bookstores, arts/crafts, antiques, museums, nice restaurants, a town that is enjoyable and walkable. Our two youngest children will be in highschool by that time, so good schools will be on the list. We want a town to be proud of that has nice stores, perhaps some tourism. I work as an RN and will have my nurse practioner's license by then so I would like to work at a wound care center or decent sized hospital, perhaps. My husband works in IT as a network engineer and has 22 years experience in that and related fields. He's hoping for IT in an industry that's less 24/7, as is the hospital group that he works at in Cincinnati, OH right now...maybe IT for colleges or something?

I'm probably leaving lots of things out, but I haven't considered W. Mass before and don't know a thing about it except a brief drive we took through the Berkshires (really pretty, but kind of far out from everything. We already know what living far out from everything is, we'd like to be a little closer to the above-mentioned things). We're taking a trip to Salem for a week in early October, and we'll have a day to stay overnight somewhere in W. Mass, scouting things out. Where do you think a good place to stay for all these things might be?

No small order, eh?

Thanks!
Northampton-Amherst, Mass.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM

10,758 posts, read 23,861,094 times
If you want rural but also a good mix of activity and things to do there are a lot of nice towns along Route 7 with bucolic charm, good restaurants, and a good mix of small businesses. Great Barrington, Lennox and Stockbridge are really nice towns with quaint town centers. Pittsfield is very blue collar, a bit down on its luck but recently improved and well positioned for more improvement in the future. Lanesboro has the Berkshire Mall, which is pretty much like any other mall. Lee also has some shopping and an outlet mall. So, the Route 7 area has most services one could need and IMO the most scenic and attractive part of the Berkshires. Definitely plenty of antiques and tourist appeal in that area and grewat hiking too, stunning in the fall. One of my favorite places for hiking in those parts is Bash Bish Falls state Park with an impressive waterfall and rocky creek tucked away in the hills. Job opportunities might be a little dicey, but worth a look though. Albany, NY is less than an hour away if you need bigger city ammenities.

Give Springfield a miss, that's all I'm gonna say about that.

If you're looking for a bigger town that's very eclectic with a liberal college town atmosphere then Northampton is the place. The Pioneer Valley along the Connecticut River and I-91 corridor is the most developed part of Western Mass. UMass and Amherst are close by. Nearby Hadley has the shopping with Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Holyoke has a mall, but it's not a very good one IMO. I would imagine you would find more work opportunities along the I-91 corridor.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 AM

91 posts, read 189,632 times
I thought Northampton sounded good from other posts, but then someone said it was primarily for a younger crowd. We're not going to be under 40 when we move, that's for sure, and not even interested in trying to pass for that so I wasn't sure after reading those posts. We're going to give that area a look, though.

I love Whole Foods to shop at. Hmmm, Pioneer Valley might be good, too.

The great thing is, even if we can't afford to live nearer the coast, it's not all that far away from these areas you are talking about. Admittedly, we live an hour outside of Cincinnati, OH now and almost never go there (except for work), and 1.5 hours outside of Indianapolis and REALLY almost never go there, either. So we might migrate a bit closer to developed areas just because we've grown tired of living an hour away from anything interesting to do or see. But I can easily see us taking day trips to Boston or Salem or surrounding areas in Massachusetts. There are just so many things to do in the New England area! Indiana has a lot of natural beauty, but I just feel-at age 42-that I want something different to look at and experience. Or at least the option of new things nearer by!

Any other ideas?? Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM

10,758 posts, read 23,861,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post
I thought Northampton sounded good from other posts, but then someone said it was primarily for a younger crowd. We're not going to be under 40 when we move, that's for sure, and not even interested in trying to pass for that so I wasn't sure after reading those posts. We're going to give that area a look, though.

I love Whole Foods to shop at. Hmmm, Pioneer Valley might be good, too.

The great thing is, even if we can't afford to live nearer the coast, it's not all that far away from these areas you are talking about. Admittedly, we live an hour outside of Cincinnati, OH now and almost never go there (except for work), and 1.5 hours outside of Indianapolis and REALLY almost never go there, either. So we might migrate a bit closer to developed areas just because we've grown tired of living an hour away from anything interesting to do or see. But I can easily see us taking day trips to Boston or Salem or surrounding areas in Massachusetts. There are just so many things to do in the New England area! Indiana has a lot of natural beauty, but I just feel-at age 42-that I want something different to look at and experience. Or at least the option of new things nearer by!

Any other ideas?? Thanks for the suggestions!
Yes Northampton does have a vibrant youthful atmosphere but I wouldn't say it's exclusively for young people. You might feel that way in Amherst as it's dominantly influenced by UMass but Northampton has a cornucopia of interests for any age group. Other options, well Route 7 and along I-91 are really the only developed areas in Western Mass. In between is very rural with lots of big hills. North Adams is a larger town but it's a bit isolated.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:50 PM

325 posts, read 926,153 times
Definately check out Northampton. I would not say it is for the younger crowd; I am closer to your age and don't feel at all out of place (as opposed to being in Amherst on a friday or saturday night). In fact, I would say you find an "older" crowd in Northampton's many restaurants, galleries, shops and even bike paths.

Besides Whole Foods check out River Valley Market, a local food coop- and you don't have to cross the bridge to get there.

Northampton is also good for day trips, too like New York City (take Peter Pan Bus or Megabus), the Berkshires, Boston, Providence, CT or RI beaches. Also, Cape Cod and the White Mountains in NH are about a 3 hour drive.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:20 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,177,815 times
Your husband may have some options at UMass Amherst which is probably often looking for IT people since it's so large, or one of the other 4 colleges. Cooley Dickinson is the small hospital for the area. If you want a larger hospital that has lots of wounds and trauma care, you could commute to Springfield from Amherst in an armored vehicle, there's lots of violent crime in that area. Northampton and Amherst are very cute with little shoppes and all that.

There are lots of younger people in that area and lots of older too, who become more noticeable in the summer when many of the kids go home. It's ultraliberal and radical, so be sure you are ok with that.

You might not want to trust your husband at one of the two women's colleges, Smith and Mount Holyoke, which are full of feral predator women who are tired of satisfying each other, and want some fresh meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts