Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most density/walkable
Malden 2 25.00%
Revere 0 0%
Watertown 2 25.00%
Quincy 4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times

Advertisements

I voted for Quincy. Even though it has some suburban areas that feel more like Milton, it also has some very urban, higher density sections. It shares with Malden 'T accessibility, but has, in my opinion, more local walkable destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:54 PM

385 posts, read 1,455,153 times
I always tell people that the great thing about living in Quincy is being a quick train ride from downtown and also walking distance to the beach. Plus, being on the Red Line is nice for me, because it's easy to get to Cambridge if I want to go to an indie movie or something. It doesn't have quite the same walkability that I had living on the Brighton/Brookline border for five years, but you can get everything you need.

What I don't like is there's a lot of trash lying around and a fair number of skeevy people...but that would be an issue in Malden and Revere, too. Quincy is actually pretty safe, but it has that edge.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,452 times
Revere - I live here (beach area..been watching for years now to see if any of the bad neighborhood myths about Revere were true and have seen no evidence whatsoever........) .

With the possible exception of Beachmont area (where you probably could manage car-less)- Revere is NOT a walk-able town -but unsafe to walk (due to TRAFFIC and trains, not people attacking you....it's hard to walk anywhere w/o a main road or train track in your way) in many areas - it also really does not have a Boston city feel - however Revere has two pluses - one it is the QUICKEST drive to downtown among the 4 towns mentioned (and probably anywhere outside the city going through the airport tunnels....) - I roll out in the am and in <20 minutes have NO problem driving into work (Longwood med area) in rush hour and with the exception of beach traffic in the summer, have said bye-bye to commuting issues (lived in two other Boston suburbs before this...moved from both because of unbearable drives). Revere also - for an urban district - has schools which are not great but are BETTER than the majority of urban towns

Public transit from Revere (blue line) is probably EQUAL to Quincy but if you drive to work on 93 Quincy will be unbearable so Quincy REALLY limits you to red-line commuting - a weekend drive to the city from Revere may take 5 minutes, but may take an hour on 93 from Quincy - something to consider

Malden could be OK - I don't know why anyone would move there instead of Revere (no beach in Malden) - Watertown I really think is a different kind of town - I really think of it as an 'outer' suburb and not at all part of the city

Old 10-02-2011, 03:24 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs_winchester View Post
a weekend drive to the city from Revere may take 5 minutes, but may take an hour on 93 from Quincy - something to consider
An hour from Quincy to the city on a "weekend" is very extreme. Remember you also have Morrissey Blvd. as an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs_winchester View Post
Watertown I really think is a different kind of town - I really think of it as an 'outer' suburb and not at all part of the city
Are you kidding me? Anywhere else in the USA Watertown would be within the city limits, it is denser than most inner cities out there. It is what I call either a "2nd ring neigborhood" or a "streetcar/or inner suburb". An "outer suburb" would be like Plymouth, or Derry, NH.

Otherwise good points on Revere.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:19 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
No TRAIN SERVICE (neither subway cars nor streetcars/trolleys nor commuter rail) serves Watertown at all. And you could wait a good while for buses to go to and from Watertown. This is a major disadvantage of Watertown over the other mentioned cities.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
On Quincys Density stats about 1/4 of the city is uninhabited due to Blue hills State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts