Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 414,670 times

Advertisements

I am debating on leaving Mass and am currently 27 and single at a dead end job. Now is as good a time as ever. I think I always consider leaving when the winter comes though. I have traveled a lot, but can't seem to find a place I would like to call home. Austin, TX and Fort Lauderdale, FL came close.

Have you left Mass? If so where/why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix12584 View Post
I am debating on leaving Mass and am currently 27 and single at a dead end job. Now is as good a time as ever. I think I always consider leaving when the winter comes though. I have traveled a lot, but can't seem to find a place I would like to call home. Austin, TX and Fort Lauderdale, FL came close.

Have you left Mass? If so where/why?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I left, in 1998. I ended up in NH (as a zillion other MA transplants are now doing).
Reasons for leaving:
1). Taxation
2). Ridiculous laws
3). Liberal-out-the-wazoo
4). Population density
5). Housing costs (but it is not much cheaper up here in NH)
6). No Live-Free-or-Die attitude
7). A wonderfully corrupt political climate
8). You can live in southern NH, and still work in MA, where there are many high-paying jobs
9). NH has the highest median household income of all 50 states (according to the National census)
10). You can live on a good chunk of land
11). Boston is not that far, if you want that type of night life

II could go on and on all day....

Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
OP, I've lived in MA for longer than you've been alive. Yet I'm at a similar juncture. Although I treasure lots of things about my existence here and our life stage is obviously different, I too am in a job that's going nowhere and am single. There is much that compels me to stay. I like the seasons, love the place where I reside, have good neighbors and friends, and am involved with activities I enjoy. But there are factors which are starting to exert their pull on me. As much as I'm stuck in an occupational rut, I work from home and can therefore pack up and go anywhere. My parents are getting no younger - I only see them 3-4 times a year. There's no way I'm going to have enough of a nest egg to completely retire at 65 or even 70. So...although it's still an outside possibility I'm reluctant to give thought to, I might well pull up stakes and return to the area where I grew up. Cincinnati is a political and social backwater compared to Cambridge, MA, and falls short by comparison in numerous other ways. But my "roots" and some family are there. And from a practical standpoint, I can cash in on the property I own here and accomplish a substantial upgrade in quality of housing while still having money left over.

Were it not for aging parents and financial considerations, I might still be casting an eye elsewhere simply due to the COL. Friends will stay friends wherever you go, activity groups have their counterparts every place. And if you do hate winter there's no point in, ahem, weathering another one. But Fort Lauderdale and Austin are disparate types of cities. One has more than its share of transplanted elders in high-rises while the other has a lively university/music scene. If your main criterion is a milder climate that still leaves you with a wealth of possibilities. And even though its seasons are about as nasty as those of Boston, you might actually enjoy Cincinnati. The core-city population is half that of Beantown, and a big plus is that it has a caliber of music and art offerings way out of proportion to its size. Its provincial and conservative general mind-set is the major drawback (there's been kicking and screaming over a proposed streetcar line like you wouldn't believe.) But if you need an Eastern Seaboard "fix" you can get there faster by air than on land here.
In the Sunbelt, my own "likes" besides Austin include Lexington KY, Nashville (t'ain't all "country"), Albuquerque, Memphis, northern Arizona, Durham/Chapel Hill NC...lots to choose from.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 PM

12,842 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I've lived in Massachetts, Portland, Maine, Washington DC and Providence RI.

Massachusetts is my favorite of the bunch.

I wouldn't ever live in Portland again. It's too small, too isolated, and I found that the local attitude toward just about everything was generally very different than my own. Not that that's always a bad thing, but I found that I just wasn't on the same page as most people (who were generally always nice) and it made it difficult to talk to people (I've never had this problem anywhere else I've lived/visited). That was tough for 4.5 years. Although it's only 2 hours North of Boston, it's quite a bit colder in the winter. Not unbearable, but definitely colder.

I'd live in Providence again. I do love it. It's a bit smaller than I care for, but it's pretty cosmopolitan for such a little city. Rhode Islanders are a different breed and most people either love them or hate them. I love them. It's a lot more affordable than Boston if you're looking at urban areas. It's also very well connected to Boston and New York (and everything in between). Megabus gets you to NYC and back for under $20.

I really like DC. It would probably be one of my top 5 destinations to move to if I ever left MA again. The killer for me? The summers are brutally humid. I deal with cold much better than oppressive humidity and heat. May-September are VERY warm in DC. July and August are tough to even be outside. It's a great, manageable city.

I've spent a LOT of time in the Bay Area over the past few years. I think I'd really like it there too. Topographically, it's simply gorgeous. The mountains, bays, the ocean, etc. are all stunning. The suburbs are pretty nice too (most have walkable downtowns and good connectivity to SF-SJ-OAK too. The Bay area has excellent weather too. SF can be chilly and dreary (esp. closest to the ocean), but Oakland is on record as having some of the best weather in the country (lots of sun, temps in the 60s and 70s year round). You can go from 80 and sunny in Oakland to 30 and snowy in the mountains in about 3 hours driving. Unbelievable. If I could find a job there, Monterey CA might just be the perfect place. It's beautiful and comfortable weather-wise. There's tons of outdoor activity nearby. It's not TOO far from San Francisco (or even LA for that matter). I love it there.

For the record, what I like in a city:
-Larger (1 Million Metro or more)
-Good public transit
-walkable
-good variety of dining options
-cooler climate
-access to good outdoor recreation options
-more liberal than not

Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,567 times
I left MA earlier this year and moved to Charleston, SC. In MA my job options were slim, the Boston area was paying less than I was making, the house taxes were high, the cost of heating was ridiculous, and I just couldn't deal with driving in the snow and the long winters anymore. I may move back some day, but right now I am enjoying the south. I took a very small pay cut, under $1.00 per hour, but I pay a lot less in health insurance, and I get a 10% bonus at the end of the year, so my pay is actually more. I live 5 miles from the beach and pay a lot less for rent than in New England. My brother was paying $350 more for rent in northern Rhode Island for a smaller place. There are a couple of months with extreme humidity, but it wasn't as bad as I expected since there is central air everywhere. Right now it is in the 70s during the day and 40s - 60s at night. It is nice to only have to put the heat on in the mornings for a few minutes to take the chill out.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
I'm much older than you but here's my experiences. We left Boston in 1997 for Chicago, which we loved, but we got tired of the Bulls and the Bears and the central time zone. We missed fresh seafood and the ocean, of course. We also lived in D.C. and found the air too sooty and the neighbors were all about power and influence. Then we moved to Vero Beach, FL and missed EVERYTHING! There were no major league anything, the summers were smarmy, and the people we encountered seemed self-indulgent. There's a here-today-gone-tomorrow attitude in Florida. People would start up businesses, they'd be half stocked, (can't tell you how many times we were told, "The truck didn't come in.") and the next week they'd be shuttered and gone. Now we're back in MA and loving it. I love the quick Boston wit, the liberal attitude, the restaurants, and yes, even the weather. I love the stability I feel here in MA. I love that Maine, NH, and RI are a short ride away, and I honestly don't think I'd be so in love with MA if we didn't have the opportunity to leave and then come back. I say, DO IT! It'll round out your edges and if you miss Boston it'll be here for you down the road.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:50 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I was born and raised in MA and left when I got married. We moved to Ohio, which at the time seemed like another planet. I thought the only thing there was corn fields, because we all think our stuff is superior on the east coast.
Although New England has it's charms, it is very provincial and elitist. I was guilty of that, so I know.
Do not dismiss other areas of the country which you may be indoctrinated to think of as "flyover country". Now, I have lived in Ohio, Phoenix, Georgia, Wisconsin, and have visited many others and I have learned that they ALL have wonderful aspects, if you keep your mind open.
Since you are young, why do you even hesitate? Go where the career opportunities are.
When all is said and done, warm places are better than cold places, but even some cold places (for example, Minneapolis, or Colorado Springs) are so good, that you can make allowances.
You are at an advantage, having started your career in either the east coast or the west coast. The cost of living is higher than anywhere else in the country, so you will make out great financially if you go from the edges of the country to the interior.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-27-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
I left MA earlier this year and moved to Charleston, SC. In MA my job options were slim, the Boston area was paying less than I was making, the house taxes were high, the cost of heating was ridiculous, and I just couldn't deal with driving in the snow and the long winters anymore. I may move back some day, but right now I am enjoying the south. I took a very small pay cut, under $1.00 per hour, but I pay a lot less in health insurance, and I get a 10% bonus at the end of the year, so my pay is actually more. I live 5 miles from the beach and pay a lot less for rent than in New England. My brother was paying $350 more for rent in northern Rhode Island for a smaller place. There are a couple of months with extreme humidity, but it wasn't as bad as I expected since there is central air everywhere. Right now it is in the 70s during the day and 40s - 60s at night. It is nice to only have to put the heat on in the mornings for a few minutes to take the chill out.
I know, right? Who would live in the north? I don't get it.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM

12,842 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I honestly don't think I'd be so in love with MA if we didn't have the opportunity to leave and then come back. I say, DO IT! It'll round out your edges and if you miss Boston it'll be here for you down the road.
I'm right here with you. I certainly haven't lived everywhere. But I have lived in enough places (even under age 30) to have a good idea of what I like, what I have and what else is out there. I've met a lot of people in MA who have barely left the state and just assume that everything is either much better or much worse than it is here. Getting out there gives you wonderful perspective. Whether you hate it and come home, or love it and leave forever, you'll be thankful for the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
because we all think our stuff is superior on the east coast. Although New England has it's charms, it is very provincial and elitist. I was guilty of that, so I know.
Absolutely. Although, I do think this goes both ways. I know plenty of people who despise living here and think Florida is some sort of promised land ("it's so cheap and warm!") while I watch 60 minutes discussing how 1/3 of the nation's homeless families live there.

I see both sides of it. I know plenty of people who bash other places (that they've never set foot within a 1,000 mile radius of... Texas and the Midwest being common victims) to the point where it's sickening. The point being- don't assume anything. Get out and see it for yourself before you rush to judgement.

Quote:
Since you are young, why do you even hesitate? Go where the career opportunities are.
Best advice so far. If you're even questioning leaving, I can't emphasize how much you'll regret not doing it. If you don't you'll always wonder what else is out there and you'll kick yourself for not trying something new (which will make you resent MA even more). Worst case, you come back home knowing for sure that MA is better for you. On the other hand, you may find the perfect fit somewhere else. Middle ground- your new place isn't perfect and neither is MA, but you have a better understanding of what you're looking for. Go for it.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Interesting....N. Carolina has a fairly healthy influx of northern folks, who have gotten tired of northern winters and cold oceans. Most of the transplants do not dwell on "how things were done" back where-ever and get along quite well with the natives. Very few opt in for moving back. (cost of living here is a bit reduced also) If you at least ACT LIKE you have good sense, the locals are friendly. as a general rule, no one likes being preached at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts