Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

Is there any such law that states how many people can live / sleep in a bedroom? I was reading on another message board and people were saying that it's 2 per bedroom. And that children of opposite sex may share a bedroom until the reach the age of 7 and then they have to be in separate bedrooms. Is this a law or just stuff that landlords put in leases? It just seems so wrong to me for anyone to tell you how many people can sleep in one bedroom.

We own our own house so this really doesn't pertain to me. My SIL has always maintained you can only have 2 kids in one bedroom and that if they're of opposite sex then they have to be separated at a certain age.

Just seems crazy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM

157 posts, read 570,412 times
Different cities and counties have addiitional regulations, but the state I do believe sets a baseline. I think boston has some strict rules on the books to curb some student housing issues that sometimes present.

Massachusetts Law About Landlord and Tenant

Old 12-02-2011, 01:25 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,017 times
I've never experienced this. One of the apartments in jamaica plain i stayed in when i was younger had 4 people living in one bedroom and two people in the living room. We were all young and broke and 6 people could barely afford a 1700 a month 1br. Of course only 2 of us had jobs but still... our landlord didnt care that there were 6 people sharing a 1200sq ft apartment. If it's a highrise or a public company, they would probably enforce that, but most private owners that rent out the lower half of their duplex dont care much for regulations, they want that money in their pocket at the end of every month. I know my uncle doesnt care how many people live in his downstairs apartment, he just wants cooperative tenants that arent very loud and will get the check in on time.

So id say most landlords dont care, so they probably wouldnt put it on their lease, but it depends on the person.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Some towns will establish criteria for the number of people for each bedroom. I know Barnstable has such a rule although I don't recall what the maximum is. As stated, towns that have either a large student or seasonal worker population will usually be very strict.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,294 times
If a person is renting rooms without a permit what can you do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts