Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 PM

40 posts, read 241,674 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm from southern California right now, and am moving to the Boston-area this summer (2012). I will be applying to Framingham State University (specifically because they have an accredited Registered Dietitian program).

My questions are: What is Framingham's reputation? Good school? Bad school? In a good area? In a bad part of town? Known for being a "wild party school" or known for being academically outstanding? Good for dumb kids? Good for smart kids? Etc etc...

I'd appreciate any and all information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:18 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Ofhand (co-workers kids have gone there) I'd say it's an average state school, not outstanding for its type, not bad. I think a lot of the students are commuters, so that would mitigate against a major party/dorm scene. Framingham overall has some modest-to-sl.scruffy areas, but nothing I'd think is downright *bad.*
Best wishes.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM

121 posts, read 412,194 times
I have a couple of close friends who are professors at two of the state universities (Westfield and Framingham) - they're considered good value places. Mainly draw local populations - so you'll be an anomaly! They don't have many graduate programs overall and the faculty teach much more than in a major "university of", like U-Mass Amherst, for example. So the faculty tend to be not as involved in research which may or may not be a plus depending on how you look at it - might have more time to spend with students but not as engaged in their field.

Last edited by lukyelle; 01-13-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 06:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Framingham State is popular among education majors. I don't know about their Dietitian program. Largely a commuter school, it is not located in a bad area of Framingham. Some of the students rent apartments in multi-family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts