Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

In that price range, the OP is misguided to think that "that's not much in Boston."
It sure is.
Maybe suburban Brookline, near the very urbane center of Brookline and into Boston, but in that price range, something that feels a lot more suburban.
Does it sound like OP wants something like a "streetcar suburb?" Doesn't sound like an exurb person or small town in the metro area.
Let's see, Concord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In that price range, the OP is misguided to think that "that's not much in Boston."
It sure is.
Maybe suburban Brookline, near the very urbane center of Brookline and into Boston, but in that price range, something that feels a lot more suburban.
Does it sound like OP wants something like a "streetcar suburb?" Doesn't sound like an exurb person or small town in the metro area.
Let's see, Concord?
Concord's not that close to Canton and the whole way between the two towns is one of the most congested parts of Rt. 128 short of "the split."

However, I 100% agree with you that his budget will buy him a nice house in most places. In a town like Weston or in Newton or Brookline, it's not that healthy of a budget. However, in many of the other towns mentioned you can buy a lot in the upper reaches of his price range.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM

124 posts, read 334,175 times
Quote:
It sure is.
Let's see, Concord?
You're right. Except I've changed my budget. The thought of having a mortgage at my age - no thank you. I'm thinking 600K is tops - that way I can pay cash. Or just rent. I'm sorry, I'm just not used to the housing prices. I've never lived in an area where they are so expensive!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It sure is.
Let's see, Concord?
What's a street car suburb?

Concord looks very similar to our town center (Which we never really go to unless we have visitors) It seems small townish. And that is not a dis, I love downtown Franklin, TN - but I live in a more modern urban/suburban area (Cool Springs). Most likely what I am comfortable with isn't going to be found at the price range I'm at.

I think the situation is simply, what I want (Think Dallas/Scottsdale, AZ/Jupiter, FL/Cool Springs, TN) simply cannot be found. It's just a different animal. Man I wish I had a ton of money!
Everyone I have talked to who has visited tells me I'm nuts not to want to move to Boston. I think I really need to visit to get a 'feel' for the area. My daughter lived in Manhattan and I loved being there with her. She lived in a townhouse and it was adorable for a single gal. Walking my dogs was a bit of a hassle, but I loved the vibe of it. Yet, now that I'm older, I'd prefer a suburb. You know, where a nice clean large grocery store is right around the corner (within a couple of miles max) and malls and big box retailers and restaurants are right around the corner. Where if you want to check out prices at Target and Best Buy they are in the same general area. Where one doesn't have to drive to the other side of town to get from one to another. (My experience in PA)
Sucks to be me.

Last edited by movestoomuch; 01-02-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: it won't let me edit!!!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:40 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Streetcar suburb = very urban (by current standards) district that owes its existence to the cozy relationship that once flourished between streetcar companies and real estate development. The guy who wrote the book "Streetcar Suburbs" was writing mainly about Roxbury and Dorchester, but the term is used for any area that developed in a similar way along lengthening streetcar lines with 100s or 1000s of small-scale builders putting up houses and small apartment buildings on very small lots in an almost totally unregulated environment. The results are evident 100 years later (i.e., today) throughout Cambridge, Everett, Somerville, Chelsea, Brighton, Roxbury, Dorchester, and Jamaica Plain.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
The Boston area will resemble Pittsburgh more than any of the other places you've been (except it has an ocean but no mountains).

Unless you are out of work and desperate I would not come up here if I were you. It seems as though Boston is not at all what you want. The city's suburbs are primarily all former small towns that have slowly grown over the years. You won't find expansive, planned, suburban areas like Cool Springs that were built up all at once. The culture here is very provincial and parochial especially in the suburbs, in contrast to a place like Williamson County with all the transplants and rootlessness. Neither is good or bad, but it seems like you have very specific tastes on what you are looking for.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
To massnative's post I would say that the OP sounds interested in a different atmosphere (universities, NBA team, etc.) than what he has in TN, but would like to find a neighborhood with comparable physical layout to what he likes. Boston certainly has the different atmosphere but would be hard to find something in the Boston area that compares to Scottsdale, Ariz, in that sense of a totally planned urban environment. The streetcar suburbs are too citified for his liking, I'm guessing (what passed for suburbs in the 1890s are now seen as very urban.) The suburbs here evolved out of country towns--someone does a little subdivision here, puts up some houses; someone else does the same thing over there, puts up some houses, and so on. There are lots of nice neighborhoods with houses close together and sidewalks and shops down the street; most of these are inside the Route 128 belt or bordering it on the outside (like Needham). The houses in these areas are in the 1890 to 1930 range, some newer. In Natick and Framingham you'll find not-so-old houses (1930-1970) on larger lots, but not too large, within short driving distance of malls and big-box stores. Franklin, Norfolk, Holliston, Wrentham, and other towns down that way have newer inventory, and easy access to the big boxes. The neighborhoods are a bit more spread out but once you accept the basic idea of the car as indispensable means of getting around, you really don't lack for access.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
OP, you and your wife really need to visit. It's hard to tell if Boston is a good choice for you. It sounds like you have the financial means to live here comfortably and if you come here and just love it, then it's worth it. Maybe it's close enough to NYC that you like being near your daughter?

A town like Natick, Norwood or Stoughton may work. I wrote this in another thread recently, but if one doesn't have a connection to Boston (family, lots of friends, dream job, etc.) and is primarily looking for the suburban life with some big city amenities (like pro sports), there are many other areas of the country that can provide it at a significantly lower price tag.

Having lived in a lot of places you know what you like. That's a good thing. Boston is a great area but, like anywhere else it's not a great choice for everyone.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
OP, you and your wife really need to visit. It's hard to tell if Boston is a good choice for you. It sounds like you have the financial means to live here comfortably and if you come here and just love it, then it's worth it. Maybe it's close enough to NYC that you like being near your daughter?

A town like Natick, Norwood or Stoughton may work. I wrote this in another thread recently, but if one doesn't have a connection to Boston (family, lots of friends, dream job, etc.) and is primarily looking for the suburban life with some big city amenities (like pro sports), there are many other areas of the country that can provide it at a significantly lower price tag.

Having lived in a lot of places you know what you like. That's a good thing. Boston is a great area but, like anywhere else it's not a great choice for everyone.
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking the same thing. Unless the money they offer is SO fantastic, I think this may not be a great place for us.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The Boston area will resemble Pittsburgh more than any of the other places you've been (except it has an ocean but no mountains).

Unless you are out of work and desperate I would not come up here if I were you. It seems as though Boston is not at all what you want. The city's suburbs are primarily all former small towns that have slowly grown over the years. You won't find expansive, planned, suburban areas like Cool Springs that were built up all at once. The culture here is very provincial and parochial especially in the suburbs, in contrast to a place like Williamson County with all the transplants and rootlessness. Neither is good or bad, but it seems like you have very specific tastes on what you are looking for.
That was a very honest answer. Thank you.
Is there anything remotely suburban within 15 miles of Canton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts