Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM

399 posts, read 854,988 times

Advertisements

The rules of the road have changed drastically for the worse through the years. Ever notice that no one observes the "yield" sign anymore. It simply does not exist to many and in fact means that the oncoming vehicle has the right of way. I remember when they first allowed vehicles to use that breakdown lane and we all said what a mistake it was and that someone was going to get hurt. I think personally that it is an enormous hazard and should never have been allowed. These roads were all made for the 60's and they need to be widened but no one wants to spend the money. All you can do is to drive carefully and have eyes in the back of your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:41 PM

244 posts, read 573,176 times
We will be moving up to the Boston area and while my husband will be taking the commuter rail and T to work, we still may need to drive on the highways. When visiting the area, we got our first taste of driving on the shoulder and how no one YIELDS. I come from MD, outside of DC. I would much rather sit in DC traffic and move slowly than try to get to an exit by crossing over the shoulder full of traffic. I did notice the lack of lighting and have to say, my husband is from PA, and their roads may have some potholes or need to be repaved but they are better lit. And no one, except the Amish, drive on the shoulder.

I hope I don't scare anyone when I YIELD and use my turn signal up there. Maybe I'll start a revolution if my hubby and I do it enough ;-)

Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
My two-year experience of driving south on 495 at rush hour (against the traffic mess going north) was terrifying. People weaving, tailgating, shoving in. You can't just get in a lane and drive the proper speed, because you have to be watching in all four directions for bad driving. I seemed to see a serious accident about once a week, on clear dry mornings.
My guess is the vast majority of people on the road at that time are going to work, meaning, if they got a speeding ticket, they'd have to pay it in order to keep their car insurance and registration viable. My solution would be to have a fleet of police (state? local?) nabbing people for reckless driving violations right, left, and center. The state would have a boatload of money, normal drivers wouldn't have to pay into this state surplus! and the roads would be safer.
Regarding the shoulder driving, I think it's the worst idea ever. For one thing, people get in the habit of using the shoulder, usually speeding, plus they don't lose the habit because the time of day has changed. And what if someone needs to break down/change a tire/pull over during business hours?
The worst ever is the xpressway at night. Death defying. It seems a trooper or a person pulled into the shoulder being hit by a drunken speeder is quite common.
If traffic were crowded enough to be bumper-to-bumper, it would probably be safer.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
my thread really has nothing to do with stand-still traffic. and i'm not new to the area.

it has to due with idiot drivers. not whether the traffic is moving. but whether the traffic is safe
Fair enough, but I can probably say the same for Northern NJ drivers who cut in front of you, or South FL drivers who don't use turn signals, etc. Bad driving isn't limited to this area.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Fair enough, but I can probably say the same for Northern NJ drivers who cut in front of you, or South FL drivers who don't use turn signals, etc. Bad driving isn't limited to this area.
The subject of South Florida comes up a lot in driving discussions. I didn't get it at first, until I drove down to Key West via Miami where we stopped off. I've never seen so many lunatics on the road in my entire life, having driven throughout Europe and the US!! There were several times where my life flashed before my eyes. Driving anywhere else is a piece of cake in comparison.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 AM

9,098 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
The rules of the road have changed drastically for the worse through the years. Ever notice that no one observes the "yield" sign anymore. It simply does not exist to many and in fact means that the oncoming vehicle has the right of way.
At least twice a week I get on I-495 south from Rte 97 in Haverhill. The on-ramp leads to one of those collector lanes and further down drivers coming from Rte 110/113 enter into the same collector lane before it all merges into 495 itself. People coming on from 110/113 rarely, if ever yield to those of us already in the collector lane. This also happens on I-93 south where Rte 213 and Pelham Road enter the highway. In that case Pelham Road traffic is supposed to yield to 213 traffic already in the collector lane. I wish MA State Police would station a trooper at either location. They could rake in bucket loads of ticket revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts