Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times

Advertisements

So, my wife has a cousin that is getting married this summer on the Cape. A lot of her family is staying at Ocean's Edge in Brewster so we decided to make a week of it and rented a condo/townhouse also at Ocean's Edge. In the condo will be myself, my 1.5 year old son, and my wife. I know the Cape pretty well and I've spent plenty of time in Mashpee, Hyannis, Dennis, Falmouth, Sandwich, P-town, etc but for some reason I know next to nothing about Brewster.

We're going to be there the last week of July and I'm looking to see if anyone has any knowledge of Brewster (i.e. things to do, good restaurants, best beaches, etc). Please keep your posts strictly to Brewster as I know the rest of Cape Cod pretty well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
The beach at Ocean Edge itself is lovely and is fantastic for kids. Also the Museum of Natural History is a fun place for little ones to explore. For restaurants, here are my faves in the area:
Peddlers - small place but lovely ambiance & good food (but pricey)
Abbas - on the Brewster/Orleans line (lovely small place, not an extensive menu but delicious)

Also, on Underpass Rd there's a sandwich shop that's great (by the entrance to the bike path). There's often a wait there but if you call ahead you'll get some yummy sandwiches. There's also a great Mexican take out place diagonally across the street from there (not the restaurant that's there but the little take out place).

Also, you can take a hike through Nickerson State Park or a ride along the bike path. You can follow the bike path for miles and miles and it's mostly a level ride in that area. There are several bike rental places in town.

Have fun!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Thanks! I read about the sandwich shop on Yelp, but these other places didn't stand out to me there so I'm happy to get the inside scoop.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Based on previous posts I don't know if you will like Brewster for a week. It's quaint, quiet Old Cape Cod. The population triples in summer so it's definitely a popular vacation spot but it's a draw for those who enjoy outdoor activities, nature, and Mom and Pop shops and restaurants. The Brewster Fish House is top notch and worth a night out. Chillingsworth is a perennial favorite but on the pricey side. Brewster General Store is the hot spot for retail therapy. But it's definitely not Mashpee Commons. Enjoy!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Based on previous posts I don't know if you will like Brewster for a week. It's quaint, quiet Old Cape Cod. The population triples in summer so it's definitely a popular vacation spot but it's a draw for those who enjoy outdoor activities, nature, and Mom and Pop shops and restaurants. The Brewster Fish House is top notch and worth a night out. Chillingsworth is a perennial favorite but on the pricey side. Brewster General Store is the hot spot for retail therapy. But it's definitely not Mashpee Commons. Enjoy!
That was my thought. I'm not a outdoors kind of person and I prefer pools to beaches frankly. I don't mind going on a bike ride, but it's not something I necessarily look forward to. I think you've got me pegged!

Good thing I'm bringing my car and can drive to other places.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 AM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
My grandparents are in Brewster right near Ocean Edge. For me, it's a weekend town, not a week. The beaches are fun, but you don't have much "swim" time. The low tide is great for kids because the sandbars go on forever and you can walk out a long ways and find all sorts of creatures. Also great for sand castles. If you like swimming, you better hope high tide is conveniently timed during your stay.

Re: biking. I'm not a huge biker either. However, Brewster is a great place to ride. The bike trail goes a long ways fairly uninterrupted and there are a number of places to stop and grab a bite to eat, swim, or get an ice cream. It's a lot of fun. Also, it's fairly flat so it's not challenging.

For good dining, you'll likely end up driving into one of the nearby communities. Because I'm with my grandparents mostly when I'm there, I haven't tried many restaurants. JT's Seafood is within walking distance of their house (and Ocean Edge) and it's alright. Fried seafood, decent chowder, ice cream. The usual. It won't blow your mind, but it's certainly not bad.

Brewster's quiet but nice. You may consider a nearby town if you're looking for more activity.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM

So far, it sounds like I'll be using my car a lot.

I had suggested to my wife staying in another town as the wedding is only 2 days out of the 7 we'll be on the Cape, but she wanted to stay close to where her family was staying. Seems like Brewster will be where I lay my head, but not really hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts