Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,582 times

Advertisements

Thinking about going to Martha's Vineyard for a day trip soon. The ferry from Woods Hole goes to either Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs...is one of them better than the other in terms of things to do and sights to see for a first-time visitor? Are they within walking distance of each other? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Thinking about going to Martha's Vineyard for a day trip soon. The ferry from Woods Hole goes to either Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs...is one of them better than the other in terms of things to do and sights to see for a first-time visitor? Are they within walking distance of each other? Any advice would be appreciated.
Take the Oak Bluffs ferry. You can rent bikes, mopeds and cars there, it is closer to Edgartown and the very user friendly State Beach, and it has more things to do if you are just staying in town.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,016,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Take the Oak Bluffs ferry. You can rent bikes, mopeds and cars there, it is closer to Edgartown and the very user friendly State Beach, and it has more things to do if you are just staying in town.
I agree. There's not too much to see and do in Vineyard Haven. Oak Bluffs (while very tourist-y) has much more to see and the beach there is pretty good as well. Renting a bike or a moped is not a bad idea either as it will allow you to explore more of the island. There is a bus system that allows you to travel around the island, but if you're not bringing much with you it's nice to have your own transportation.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 224,624 times
On MV right now writing this post. I agree with the others. OB port of entry is the best bet for a newbie day tripper. To answer your question you can't walk from Vineyard Haven to OB ferry. It would be a good ride even on a bike or a moped.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 AM

374 posts, read 654,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola116 View Post
On MV right now writing this post. I agree with the others. OB port of entry is the best bet for a newbie day tripper. To answer your question you can't walk from Vineyard Haven to OB ferry. It would be a good ride even on a bike or a moped.
???

Are you serious? In my estimation It is only 3 miles from ferry building to ferry building.

Bill

Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Where are you coming from?

Back when I lived in North Shore MA/ Southern NH, we used to take a charter out of Lawrence Airport... driving all the way to the Cape (unless you are already there), and then taking the Ferry (well, if you are taking a car, no choice), will take you relatively forever to get there... You need to give us a travel plan, or I think most of us will not be able to help you.

Just my opinion, and I live really far away, but I grew up in the area for 30 years.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,711 times
Oak Bluffs is a better destination. You have Circuit Ave and the beach is way better. Vineyard Haven is nice....The Black Dog restaurant is the only reason I head in that direction. VH has a few cute shops and a grocery store too, but like others have mentioned, there's not much to do there.

Have fun!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,582 times
Thank you all for the responses. We went on Saturday and had a great time! We made it from Boston to the ferry parking lot in just over an hour, and took the ferry to Oak Bluffs.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 PM

45 posts, read 224,624 times
It is about three miles from ferry to ferry but I don't know anyone personally who would walk from one ferry to another with gear. Yes you can bike or moped but I think you would be better served to stay in OB. You would not be gaining much by going to VH in the way of different shops or restaurants.

Should you want to do more than go to shops or restaurants you can go to state beach from OB or since you like to bike you can go up to Gay head (Aquinnah). I should warn you that you should be careful on either bike or moped going upland as it can be dangerous. It is however a beautiful ride.

Altenatively you can leave the bike and take a tour bus up island to save time. One final note-if you do go to just OB this town is fun and interesting but only a snap shot of the Island. It is probably the most touristy so keep that in mind. Every town has its own flavor and I have seen so many people make a judgement of the entire island after a day trip to OB .

Hope this helps

Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,795 times
Just back from a day trip to Martha's Vineyard last week. I had a hard time with this decision as well. I wanted to go to Oak Bluffs on the Ferry, but the times didn't work for me on the way over. So we took the ferry to Vineyard Haven. Got off the boat around 11:30am - perfect timing to walk over to the Black Dog & get your name on the list for lunch. They don't start seating till 12pm.

Then you can take the bus to Oak Bluffs. An all day pass is $7 or just the bus from VH to OB is $2 one way. Bus #13 picks up near the Ferry & drops off in OB at Ocean Park.

I ended up taking the ferry from OB back to Woods Hole because the time worked better for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts