Edgartown: Edgartown Near the Harbor
Edgartown: Lighthouse in Edgartown, simply beautiful
Edgartown: Main Street 4th of July
Edgartown: Gay head light house
Edgartown: edgartown harbor
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||44.8 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 02539.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $40,685 (it was $25,740 in 2000)
Edgartown town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $724,841 (it was $324,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $804,161; Detached houses: $794,384; Townhouses or other attached units: $804,976; In 2-unit structures: $671,845; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $607,827
Races in Edgartown, MA (2010)
- 3,55087.3%White alone
- 1934.7%Other race alone
- 1032.5%Two or more races
- 852.1%Black alone
- 190.5%Asian alone
- 170.4%American Indian alone
- 10.02%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|How Much Massachusetts Households Make Per Year: Census Data (37 replies)|
|Is Newburyport the most quintessential coastal town in Mass? (27 replies)|
|Looking for the Name of a Donut Chain (Not Dunkin Donuts!) (36 replies)|
|First time visit Aug. 16 -Aug 20 (52 replies)|
|Martha's Vineyard in April? (23 replies)|
|Researching novel - cities for affluent college kids in Martha's Vineyard? (26 replies)|
Latest news from Edgartown, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Edgartown, MA City Guides:
Ancestries: English (23.9%), Irish (17.1%), Portuguese (10.7%), Italian (9.7%), French (8.8%), German (6.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1671
Elevation: 17 feet
Land area: 27.0 square miles.
Population density: 151 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Edgartown:
- High school or higher: 89.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 35.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.1%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Edgartown town:
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 54.3%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 11.8%
328 residents are foreign born (5.3% Latin America, 1.4% Europe, 1.3% Asia).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Edgartown, Massachusetts as of March 18, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Edgartown to the number of sex offenders is 2,034 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Edgartown town:||0.4% ($1,419)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: New Bedford, MA (28.3 miles , pop. 93,768).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (71.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Queens, NY (178.0 miles , pop. 2,229,379).
Nearest cities: Oak Bluffs, MA (2.3 miles ), Vineyard Haven, MA (2.6 miles ), Tisbury, MA (2.6 miles ), West Tisbury, MA (2.6 miles ), Chilmark, MA (3.4 miles ), Falmouth, MA (3.5 miles ), Woods Hole, MA (3.5 miles ), Teaticket, MA (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 50 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 1998: 56 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 1999: 60 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2000: 58 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2001: 58 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2002: 67 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2003: 66 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2004: 87 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2005: 70 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2006: 63 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2007: 50 buildings, average cost: $110,000
- 2008: 30 buildings, average cost: $564,500
- 2009: 41 buildings, average cost: $715,400
- 2010: 50 buildings, average cost: $548,100
- 2011: 36 buildings, average cost: $679,500
- 2012: 29 buildings, average cost: $876,800
- 2013: 40 buildings, average cost: $871,600
- 2014: 49 buildings, average cost: $931,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.38 N, Longitude: 70.52 W
Area codes: 508, 774
|Crime rates in Edgartown by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.4)||185.3||235.4||136.1||137.4||176.3||173.6||299.6||233.9||189.1||167.2||312.7||183.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Edgartown detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.89|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Construction (24%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Health care (12%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (11%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (5%)
- Construction (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Customer service representatives (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Legal support workers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Art and design workers (6%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Edgartown, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Edgartown-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Massachusetts state average. It is 91% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 157.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 263.3 miles away from Edgartown center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 156.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 268.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 112.3 miles away from Edgartown center
On 7/22/2003 at 11:41:15, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 99.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dukes County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 7, Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Snowstorms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Ben Pease - Slave trader, Thomas Walker (naval officer) - Navy Vice Admiral, Thomas Walker - (1919-2003), Army officer.
Hospitals and medical centers near Edgartown:
- BARNSTABLE COUNTY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 4 miles away; POCASSET, MA)
- CAPE COD AND ISLANDS MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (Hospital, about 4 miles away; POCASSET, MA)
- COLONIAL CARE CERTIFIED, INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- FALMOUTH NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- ROYAL NURSING CENTER, LLC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- FALMOUTH CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- VNA OF UPPER CAPE COD INC (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
airports located in Edgartown:
- Katama Airpark Airport (1B2) (Runways: 3, Itinerant Ops: 4,000, Local Ops: 6,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Edgartown:
- Cape Cod Community College (about 24 miles; West Barnstable, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,491)
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth (about 31 miles; North Dartmouth, MA; FT enrollment: 7,545)
- Bristol Community College (about 39 miles; Fall River, MA; FT enrollment: 5,707)
- Salve Regina University (about 41 miles; Newport, RI; FT enrollment: 2,349)
- Roger Williams University (about 43 miles; Bristol, RI; FT enrollment: 4,375)
- Bridgewater State University (about 48 miles; Bridgewater, MA; FT enrollment: 9,802)
- University of Rhode Island (about 53 miles; Kingston, RI; FT enrollment: 14,656)
Public elementary/middle school in Edgartown:
- EDGARTOWN ELEMENTARY (Students: 329, Location: 35 ROBINSON ROAD, Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Edgartown: Cape Poge Light (A), Edgartown Harbor Light (B), Katama Wharf (C), Edgartown Golf Club (D), Edgartown Yacht Club (E), Memorial Wharf (F), On Time Ferry (G), Edgartown Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (H), Edgartown Fire Department Station 2 (I), Dale Huntington Library (J), Doctor Daniel Fisher House Museum (K), Dukes County Courthouse (L), Dukes County Historical Museum (M), Dukes County Historical Society Building (N), Dukes County Law Library (O), Edgartown Public Library (P), Edgartown Town Hall (Q), Edgartown Visitors Center (R), Foster Maritime Gallery (S), Vincent House Museum (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Edgartown include: Saint Elizabeth Church (A), Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (B), Old Whaling Church (C), Federated Church (D), Edgartown United Methodist Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Westside Cemetery (1), Town Hill Burying Ground (2), New Westside Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Sheriffs Pond (A), Oyster Pond (B), Paqua Pond (C), Little Pond (D), Pocha Pond (E), Jacobs Pond (F), Trapps Pond (G), Jobs Neck Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Edgartown include: Edgartown Memorial Park (1), Long Point Wildlife Refuge (2), Wasque Reservation (3), Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary (4), Edgartown Village Historic District (5), Caroline Tuthill Preserve (6), Cape Pogue Reservation (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Beaches: East Beach (A), Chappaquiddick Beach (B), Lighthouse Beach (C), Edgartown Beach (D), Katama County Beach (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Martha's Vineyard Preservation Trust (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 99 Main Street) (1), Point Way Inn (Recreation Areas; 104 Main Street) (2), Classic Aviators (Tours & Charters; 12 Mattakesett Rd) (3), Biplane Rides of Martha's Vineyard (Tours & Charters; 12 Herring Creek Road) (4). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Hotels: Lightkeepers Inn (18 North Summer Street) (1), Colonial Inn of Marthas Vineyard (38 North Water) (2), Edgartown Heritage Hotel (227 Upper Main Street) (3), Chadwick Inn (67 Winter Street) (4), Colonial Inn (38 N Water St) (5), Inn At 148 Main Street- The (148 Main Street) (6), Harborside Inn (1 South Water) (7), Martha's Vineyard Concierge (1 Starbuck Neck Road) (8), Harbor View Hotel The (131 North Water Street) (9). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Courts: Mass Commonwealth - Trial Courts- Juvenile Court Dept- Edgartown Juvenile C (12 Mariners Way) (1), Commonwealth of Massachusetts Trial Court (81 Main Street) (2). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 59.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 33.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
3 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers in 2010
People in group quarters in Edgartown in 2000:
- 34 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 20 people in other workers' dormitories
- 11 people in nursing homes
Banks with branches in Edgartown (2011 data):
- Martha's Vineyard Savings Bank: at 78 Main Street, branch established on 1955/04/15; Four Flags Condominium Branch at Unit #10, Vineyard Haven Road, Post Office Square, branch established on 1998/07/08. Info updated 2007/11/16: Bank assets: $526.2 mil, Deposits: $431.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 8 total offices
- Sovereign Bank, National Association: Edgartown Branch at 19 Main Street, branch established on 1983/06/01; Triangle Branch at 260 Edgartown Road, branch established on 1988/06/06. Info updated 2012/01/31: Bank assets: $78,146.9 mil, Deposits: $48,042.9 mil, headquarters in Wilmington, DE, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 718 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Santander, S.A.
- The Edgartown National Bank: Upper Main Street Branch at 251 Upper Main Street, branch established on 1982/05/10; at 2 South Water Street, branch established on 1905/09/02. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $132.0 mil, Deposits: $104.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Island Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Edgartown town (based on Dukes County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dukes County:||8.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||35.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.09% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,625 average adjusted gross income)
0.15% of residents moved from foreign countries ($344 average AGI)
Dukes County: 0.15% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.36% ($78,231 average AGI)|
|from Barnstable County, MA||0.31% ($30,478)|
|from Suffolk County, MA||0.31% ($53,348)|
5.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($58,973 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Edgartown:
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBSM (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Edgartown:
- WMVY (92.7 FM; TISBURY, MA; Owner: ARITAUR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCAI (90.1 FM; WOODS HOLE, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WCIB (101.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WRZE (96.3 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WPXC (102.9 FM; HYANNIS, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WTWV (101.1 FM; MASHPEE, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WJFD-FM (97.3 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: EDMUND DINIS, TRUSTEE)
- WCTK (98.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WXTK (95.1 FM; WEST YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
- WQRC (99.9 FM; BARNSTABLE, MA; Owner: SANDAB COMMUNICATION LTD. PNR/SHP II)
- WFPB-FM (91.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WNAN (91.1 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Edgartown:
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WDPX (Channel 58; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WMPX-LP (Channel 67; DENNIS, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 9m30ftTotal length
- $2,066,000Total costs
- 19,500Total average daily traffic
- 1,110Total average daily truck traffic
- 14,213Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 18 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Edgartown, MA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Edgartown)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 19 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Edgartown)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Edgartown that have no violations reported:
- EDGARTOWN WATER DEPARTMENT (Population served: 14,000, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Edgartown
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (50%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- Electricity (17%)
- Wood (3%)
- Other fuel (1%)
|Businesses in Edgartown, MA|
|Dairy Queen||1||Stop & Shop||2|
Edgartown compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Edgartown on our top lists:
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Brazil (population 500+)"
- #62 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other workers' dormitories (population 1,000+)"
- #58 (02539) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 1,000+)"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Obama (Democrat) in the 2012 Presidential Election"
Total of 38 patent applications in 2008-2019.