Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 9,934 times

Advertisements

I love MA but I keep hearing people talk about how Bostonians don't like outsiders--they grow up with their family and friends and they don't want anyone else in.
Seems rather close minded but is it NE thing or is there a friendly place that welcomes new people??
Mid 40's, no kids, and divorced. Outgoing, love animals--wow sounds like a personal ad! lol

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Dunno about cliques. I do think it's hard to make friends when one is older, especially if not living in a very urban setting. I have found this to be true for me, including the fact that I work third shift. I don't think Bostonians (or others) are unfriendly or such, just that people in most places are already there and especially if they are family people, it's not so easy to be a not-family person.
I'd consider meetup groups, especially outside the city- older people stranded outside the city. Like me. And my six dogs. There are a lot of animal people!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dunno about cliques. I do think it's hard to make friends when one is older, especially if not living in a very urban setting. I have found this to be true for me, including the fact that I work third shift. I don't think Bostonians (or others) are unfriendly or such, just that people in most places are already there and especially if they are family people, it's not so easy to be a not-family person.
I'd consider meetup groups, especially outside the city- older people stranded outside the city. Like me. And my six dogs. There are a lot of animal people!
I am from the NYC area and it is much harder here... People are very cliquey and love to purposely act snobbish because they think they are better than you .

Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 AM

61 posts, read 201,850 times
No, there is nowhere. MA is just a bunch of snobs. Whenever they see a new comer they shun them, even the huge numbers of students and professionals from other states and countries here do it. It's the only state in the country that does it, and everyone here does it. It's like a club, you have to be accepted, or you have to be native. Really nobody here is native, so you basically have to be accepted into the club. It's the one place where sweeping generalizations hold true. Really, I swear.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster21 View Post
No, there is nowhere. MA is just a bunch of snobs. Whenever they see a new comer they shun them, even the huge numbers of students and professionals from other states and countries here do it. It's the only state in the country that does it, and everyone here does it. It's like a club, you have to be accepted, or you have to be native. Really nobody here is native, so you basically have to be accepted into the club. It's the one place where sweeping generalizations hold true. Really, I swear.
I agree. Seems like everyone has this stuck up I an better than you attitude.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:01 AM

I was being sarcastic, for the record.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I guess in some 32 years, always working for a Harvard affiliate and having Harvard people around me, and living all over the area, I just didn't notice the snobbery. Must be that I'm a noble savage or something.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 PM

The whole "bostonians don't like outsiders" thing makes no sense. It must stem from hurt feelings of someone who either doesn't mesh well with personalities/culture around here, or someone who had a few bad experiences and applied them to an entire region.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM

30 posts, read 49,736 times
Try Northampton area.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM

387 posts, read 916,204 times
In a city like Boston, it can be hard to make friends unless you find people with similar interests. Otherwise, people are just too busy to reach out to every new neighbor. I know that some of the "blue-collar" towns have a reputation for being unfriendly as well, but I haven't had that experience in Medford at all.

My nearest neighbors are Italian, Brazilian, Greek, and black, with some students sprinkled in there, and I'm none of the above. Still, they all chat with me at length on the street, invite me to see their renovations or come for a barbecue, etc. If someone's out of town, a neighbor invariably snowblows their sidewalk or even mows their yard. Medford has more than 50,000 people, but many of the local store owners tell me about their grandkids or tease me about repeated diet coke purchases.

Having good neighbors is somewhat a matter of luck, but you will mostly get out what you put into relationships, no matter where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts