Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,191 times

Advertisements

Moving to MA and looking for a decent-size city commutable to Metrowest. Currently live in Asheville NC and interested in a city that size (about the size of Albany, NY perhaps). Is Framingham the only option outside of Boston or is Franklin or Westborough an option? Two small children so we are looking for good schools to boot! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
Westborough would be a good bet. If you don't mind my asking, why are you looking for a city of that size? Are you looking for particular amenities that a smaller town wouldn't offer? Just curious. If there are specifics you'd like in your community that would be helpful for folks on the forum to chime in & provide good advice. :-)

Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,191 times
We prefer living in a small-size city vs. a town. We don't care about having a yard or living in a county setting, particularly. We like all our ammenitites compact as opposed to driving from town to town for shopping and kids activities. We like sidewalks and buses and corner coffee shops. We are from the north (lived in NY and NH seacoast) so I am pretty sure what I am looking for doesn't exist but it doesn't hurt to ask, since we are not familiar with the Boston Metro area. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Maybe Waltham? I don't think Framingham has the feel you are looking for. Westborough (downtown area) maybe slightly, but it's not that large (maybe for a town it is, but nowhere near like the places you described).

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
It doesn't hurt to ask but you're right, very little meets that description outside the immediate Boston area. You could consider Watertown or Waltham or Arlington or Belmont, all close to the Turnpike and commutable to Metro-West. In those places you're on the bus lines into Cambridge and Boston and have lots of things close at hand. The most Asheville-like town in Massachusetts is Northampton, which is too far west. Framingham and Marlborough are the two city-sized communities right in Metro West. The city center in Framingham is more of an immigrant area; it wouldn't remind you of Asheville, but Framingham generally has nice neighborhoods and good schools. The shopping is in malls along the strip highway Route 9. I don't have much of an impression of Marlboro. Lowell and Haverhill, on the Merrimack River, have some things going on. I don't know whether the schools are any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts