Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Massachusetts: traffic, plumber, Franklin, housing, real estate.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,511 times

Advertisements

I've just discovered this wonderful forum! Here's my story, please post any and all info you think would help me!

I live about 80 miles north of NYC -- what used to be a rural farm area, is now the New Long Island -- TOO MANY houses, people, traffic, noise, etc. I hate it here! I grew up in boonies (50 acres, with horses and a goat named Leroy, in Ulster Co., NY), and prefer remote, rural country to life in a village. I need only essentials in a nearby town (20-30 minutes away), the smaller the better. Malls, Wal-mart and the like can be an hour away.

I run an internet business, my husband is a plumber. I can work anywhere, he needs at least enough people within an hour-or-so radius to find work, either as employee or self-employed. Schools don't matter, as our daughter will be in college in 2 years, when we will want to start the moving process. Housing prices and taxes need to be reasonable -- low as compared to east coast MA.

I'm considering FRANKLIN CO. MA because it appears to have what I want: slow growth, beauty, history, sparse population. I need to zero in on a more specific area, and would love to hear first-hand from you guys about your town/area in Franklin Co., or other similar areas in MA.

We are making Deerfield a stop on our Thanksgiving vacation, to do the historical tour, and also to drive around and begin seeing the area. Help me decide on a route! THANK YOU for your time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Lived over the county-line in Williamsburg in the 90s---loved it and rode all the back roads across the lower hills. Starting in Deerfield isn't a bad idea.

One of my favorite trips was up rte 9 heading toward the Berkshires, and then taking a side road that took me across the hills and "very" rural and a couple of wide, wild turns--and totally beautiful.

Another nice, look-see, is taking the back-roads from Haydenville (about 10 miles west of Northampton, also on rte 9). Some really nice land.

In another direction and away from Deerfield, go into Amherst and follow the roads in any direction--10 miles or so, or even 5, and you'll get a sense of bucolic beauty (past Hampshire College and up toward Shutesbury).

Living in Hampshire County, I am hard pressed about services in Franklin, except I know they have a full service hospital and isn't too far (by the crow) to bigger centres.

I did most of my shopping in Northampton, Cummington (another splendid town) and if I wanted a mall into the Berkshires or down to Holyoke. None of these drives seem more than a pleasant drive in the country

Good luck and have a wonderful Thanksgiving--the colours should be beautiful.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
I grew up mostly in Orange County, I lived in Western MA for 3 years.

Deerfield is really cool. Be sure to check out Magic Wings Butterfly conservatory while you are up there, the Yankee Candle outlet and the resturant there are a neat stopping points.

I would check out these towns in that general area: Sunderland, Deerfield, Greenfield, Ware, Hadley, Belchertown and Pelham.

Western MA has some awesome hospitals, that is no concern. Baystate has a division in Ware and in Deerfield (Or Greenfield I can't remember) and there is about 7 major hospitals between Springfield and the outlying areas.

Work would be most likely in Springfield which is easy to get to from any of the areas I mentioned. Road clearing is GOOD in the winter. Where I lived - Ware - we had a little higher taxes, but WAY lower than where you are living now. I was 35 min from Springfield and 2 min from the Quabbin and Beaver lake. It was stunningly peaceful, scenic and so NOT NY if you know what I mean LOL!

Ware has a town center and a Walmart, but the traffic is manageable and while it is growing up, they are also trying to manage how it is growing. It is the last place I would look of the towns I mention because you want to be away from it all, but it deserves mention because it is quaint and you still have services. The Western part of the town on the Belchertown border is quite nice and you still can get to shopping and a bank and some resturants in 15 min or to Walmart in 10. Which the Walmart there is quite nice too - not your typical walmart you see in Orange that's for sure.

Deerfield is pretty quiet, so is Sunderland and Greenfield you can get to the outskirts pretty easy but still have access to shopping in Northampton, Amherst areas. Hadley is a bit like Ware, but it an awesome mix of shops/town/resturants and really rural peaceful areas. Same goes for Belchertown.

I would shoot up 91 to Deerfield then backtrack down through Sunderland (I think it is rte 116) back through Amherst then check out towns along Rte 9 - Hadley, Belchertown and Ware (be sure to check out Adkin's farmer's market off 116 they have the BEST apple cider donuts in the world and awesome blackberry pie too) and then you can drop down 32 back to the MA pike Exit 8.

Let me know if you want some ideas as to where to look for houses, places to eat etc. There is a LOT to do there and I loved my time up there very much.

While you are at it, check out the northern areas of Ludlow, and the small town of Monson - which is southeast of Palmer. Both areas are rural and safe, low traffic yet access to things to do.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 35,999 times
Thumbs up Consider the North Quabbin Region

The villages of the North Quabbin Region in Eastern Franklin County and Western Worcester County may come closer to your goal than the other areas mentioned. The North Quabbin scenery is outstanding, growth is slow, housing prices are reasonable, local history is valued and life is authentically rural.

Check out villages such as Royalston, Warwick, New Salem, Wendell and Petersham (all under 1200 population) or the outlying areas of the mill towns of Orange and Athol.

While some parts of the North Quabbin Region are a bit remote, I gather that this will not bother you. And if you ever need a city fix, Boston is less than 2 hours away, NYC about 4.

Wherever you end up, I hope you enjoy your quest.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,255 times
Default Give Northfield a Look

Check out Northfield when you visit Deerfield, pop 3000. The main street is idyllic with old colonials. Houses are relatively inexpensive. I believe all tax details and home prices so on can be found on the web. I don't live there, I just work there, but might if I could. There are two tiny but friendly markets, one gas station, and a couple of tiny cafes. A very wonderful Dickinson library (actual there are two!) and an art gallery that sometimes has evening events. Not much else. No bars. Beautiful countryside on the Connecticut, much history. Greenfield MA and Brattleboro VT are closest big towns - 15- 20 minutes away although I don't think either has WalMart. If you like golf there is a great club.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,511 times
Default Franklin County

Thank you all for posting replies! Your info was totally perfect, exactly what I needed. I'm so grateful for your time. Since I don't know anyone personally in Franklin Co., this forum is so appreciated -- what better way to scout a new area, than by hearing about it from folks who have lived there?

I will be printing out all your replies, and bringing them with me on my trip. Again, thanks for answering with your insights!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 35,999 times
Default Re: Franklin County

You're right, this forum is a good way to scout a new area and get to know some people who live there.

My wife and I have lived in the Franklin County area for many years. We think it's a great place to live, which is why we recently chose to located our real estate office in the North Quabbin Region (see my earlier post).

If you have questions about any part of Franklin County or any particular property, I would be happy to share information with you. Feel free to send a private message. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts