Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,019 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Wilbraham area in a couple of weeks from Southern Nevada. I have a 12 yr old son who is very athletic and into sports. He is not to keen on moving so I want to ease his mind that we are moving somewhere where he will enjoy his sports and learn to like it there. Any and all opinions welcome, thank you in advance.

Last edited by toriolson; 01-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
It's near Springfield home of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toriolson View Post
I am moving to the Wilbraham area in a couple of weeks from Southern Nevada. I have a 12 yr old son who is very athletic and into sports. He is not to keen on moving so I want to ease his mind that we are moving somewhere where he will enjoy his sports and learn to like it there. Any and all opinions welcome, thank you in advance.
It will be a culture shock from Vegas, but Wilbraham is very viable in western MA. It does not get the notoriety that Longmeadow has, but it is comparable, as far as affluence and safety. It's got great schools with great academics and sports. Check out Minnechaug Regional High School's website. In short, it has the goods but not the arrogance.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM

88 posts, read 205,533 times
It's actually very nice ... borders Springfield, but don't let the bad reputation of Springfield bring it down. It does have a somewhat mild "snooty" association with it (but not as much as Longmeadow), which is kind of nice for a parent wanting a safe place for their kids to grow up. Are you working directly in Wilbraham or do you have a little more freedom with what town you settle in?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM

45 posts, read 224,583 times
I don't think you can go wrong with Wilbraham. I grew up there and now live closer to Boston. What really stood out to me in your post was that your son is into sports. At least from my experience he will fit in very well. It is the non-athletic kids who often feel on the outside looking in when they grow up in some of these small MA Towns. I was not into group sports and fitting into the High School was a challenge. That said, it was a very good public school and my brothers and I all attended excellent private universities. Just FYI there is a nice private school option in Wilbraham too called Wilbraham-Monson Academy.

If looking primarily in the Western Part of the State, your best bets are Longmeadow, East Longmeadow, or Wilbraham. Longmeadow being the most upscale of the three and closest to Springfield. Nowadays (not so much when I grew up) you may want to shy away from any town close to downtown Springfield as unfortunately the city does not have much to offer except crime. Coming from Nevada you will find home prices more expensive then you are used to but much cheaper than if you were to buy closer to Boston. For example Longmeadow is considered the "Wellesley" of the Western Part of the State but the prices are no where near comparable. Wilbraham is far enough away from downtown Springfield that the effects of crime are seldom felt especially if you are not on the border with Springfield (not downtown anyway).

There is a range of SES in Wilbraham and people are very understated. You will get a little more of that flashy vibe in Longmeadow. The only negatives to these towns is they are somewhat isolated. Boston is a haul and Springfield has very little to offer. My parents who still live in Wilbraham often do their shopping in nearby Enfield, CT.

Let me know what other questions I can answer!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
First of all Wilbraham is a great town to live in. There is plenty of shopping in the entire area including Wilbraham, Springfield, West Springfield, Holyoke has the 2nd largest mall in New England and Enfield is also fairly close. Second the area is not isolated in the least, yes it is 75 minutes to Boston but do you really need to be in Boston that much. Springfield has plenty of things to do, The Basketball hall of fame, Springfield falcons hockey, movies, plenty of places to eat ranging from fine dining to great take out. All kinds of athletics for kids, Wilbraham has a place called soccer city that offers year round indoor soccer leagues, camps, training sessions. bust most just join leagues after the fall season is done to keep in shape for spring.

As far as isolation we are in an area(Springfield, Hartford)with 2 million people. I hardly call that isolated at all. There is always something going on within 20 miles of Wilbraham. Whether it be a concert in Northampton or a UMass basketball game in Amherst. One of the many festivals that goes on almost year round, the Glendi in Sept(a Greek festival) , The Portuguese festival in Ludlow(forget what month) ,the Polish festival and so on. There is the New England state fair(the Big E) every September into October. Just trying to get across that we are not isolated or in the sticks so to say.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM

I guess "isolated" depends on who you ask. I am more of a city person even though I grew up in Wilbraham. My parents were originally from NYC as were most of my relatives growing up. So I was exposed to a lot more than most of my classmates there. In my opinion, you can't really compare the amount of things to do close to a great city like to Boston to that of Springfield (sorry). But as i stated Wilbraham is a very nice town to grow up in and I could think of a lot worse like the Bronx where my folks grew up.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
I grew up in Coolidge Corner, so I know a little bit about city living and still would never call anything in the Springfield area isolated. Growing up in Brookline I would be in Boston all the time so I know a little bit about city living. Wilbraham is definitely suburban but in no way shape or form isolated from anything.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Well I suppose "isolated" may be a misnomer as in isolated from what? If you grew up in Coolidge Corner obviously you tired of the city life and chose to move out "West". I did the opposite-got tired of the small suburban town that was quite a distance from any major city.

That said you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy living out there. My parents still love it and don't like crowds and the hustle and bustle of where I currently reside. For me at this stage of my life, I would not be interested. I like more upscale eateries and malls and being close to culture. If you are primarily into sports and the outdoors Western Mass is great. Also an affordable alternative for those looking to buy a home.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola116 View Post
Well I suppose "isolated" may be a misnomer as in isolated from what? If you grew up in Coolidge Corner obviously you tired of the city life and chose to move out "West". I did the opposite-got tired of the small suburban town that was quite a distance from any major city.

That said you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy living out there. My parents still love it and don't like crowds and the hustle and bustle of where I currently reside.......
You don't have to be a certain type of person. You have to be a certain type of person to want to live in a crowded, traffic ridden, metropolitan area like Boston. To live in Wilbraham, you just need to be a normal everyday type of person.

Wilbraham is beautiful and as long as you don't require big city amenities, you're fine. It's suburbia, but a beautiful kind of suburbia, not cookie cutter. There's a lot of natural beauty in the area. Life is not about shopping and high end restaurants--it's not New York and it doesn't want to be. Who would want to raise kids in New York? Wilbraham is the kind of place families live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts