Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 45,083 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am struggling with a big decision. I currently live in Ma and it is very rural here, I never worry about crime or my kids school. I am being given an oppurtunity to move to West Roxbury but I have 3 kids and the city is very different from what I've known. I read in posts that W. Roxbury is a good neighborhood. But is all of it ok to live in?
I noticed some areas look nicer/richer than others. The house is actually near the Dedham line, not far from the Beethoven School and maybe a half mile from the Deham mall- I think it's the mall- Home Depot, Toys R Us, Stop and Shop. The street is a little cul-de-sac and the house is really nice with a little backyard. But once you go around the block and drive past Beethoven it doesn't look so sweet. My kids would maybe not go to Beethoven but to one of the catholic parish schools like Holy Name or St Theresa if I can afford it. Any one have any info about the area or the schools? I have a teen who does not want to move because he is afraid of gang violence. I don't know what school he would go to and he struggles- his grades have never been very good. He says I have no idea what high school is like and he's terrified to be the new kid in a city school. I also was down for a few days and took a paper. In it were headlines like, 2 teens caught trying to shoot girls coming out of a dance recital, teen shot point blank in head on subway, and Hyde Park bank being robbed in broad daylight. I this the "norm" living in the city? It's such a great deal I am being offered because I would have my own beautiful little house but I would never want to jeopardize my kids safety even if it means remaining in a less affluent lifestyle. Also, Is the bus, subways safe? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 20,024 times
Hi,
Having grown up in Boston, W.Roxbury used to be one of the better parts of the city, but as with all big cities, it is not what it used to be. It still has nice areas, but the area you are describing is one of the least desireable parts. If your children aren't used to the city they are probably in a better environement where they are. Dedham on the other hand, is a nice small town with good schools and a family neighborhood environment. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendolynmylove View Post
Hi everyone, I am struggling with a big decision. I currently live in Ma and it is very rural here, I never worry about crime or my kids school. I am being given an oppurtunity to move to West Roxbury but I have 3 kids and the city is very different from what I've known. I read in posts that W. Roxbury is a good neighborhood. But is all of it ok to live in?
I noticed some areas look nicer/richer than others. The house is actually near the Dedham line, not far from the Beethoven School and maybe a half mile from the Deham mall- I think it's the mall- Home Depot, Toys R Us, Stop and Shop. The street is a little cul-de-sac and the house is really nice with a little backyard. But once you go around the block and drive past Beethoven it doesn't look so sweet. My kids would maybe not go to Beethoven but to one of the catholic parish schools like Holy Name or St Theresa if I can afford it. Any one have any info about the area or the schools? I have a teen who does not want to move because he is afraid of gang violence. I don't know what school he would go to and he struggles- his grades have never been very good. He says I have no idea what high school is like and he's terrified to be the new kid in a city school. I also was down for a few days and took a paper. In it were headlines like, 2 teens caught trying to shoot girls coming out of a dance recital, teen shot point blank in head on subway, and Hyde Park bank being robbed in broad daylight. I this the "norm" living in the city? It's such a great deal I am being offered because I would have my own beautiful little house but I would never want to jeopardize my kids safety even if it means remaining in a less affluent lifestyle. Also, Is the bus, subways safe? Thanks for your help.
hi, i lived in Boston, however it has been awhile. I lived in hyde park when it was country on the milton line. then we moved to roslindale, centre street.
in was maybe 1 mile from the Holy Name Parish. We would go to the dedham mall for shopping. I do think the hyde park area has really changed alot. West Roxbury was considered a nice place. If I do recall houses along the parkway area were also real nice. When I went to high school I just got the bus outside to forest hills, and then the train to egelston to school. I went to notre dame academy, which has since relocated to hingham. I also went to cardinal cushing in south boston, and rode the t. oh, speaking of the bank being robbed my father was a policeman and got a robber, who many years ago robbed a bank in hyde park. you can read the boston herald or boston globe and check what is going on in Boston. when I worked in downtown Boston, I always used the t and never had any problems, even late at night.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
West Roxbury is still the most desirable area to live within Boston. It feels more suburban and it relatively safe. Tor07 is right that the Dedham mall area isn't really all that great. However, your biggest problem would be the schools. Are you sure you can get your kids into some place like Holy Name? Usually, there are long waiting lists. As far as the high schools, your options would be an exam school like Boston Latin - but if your son isn't a good student, I don't know if that would help. There is also Catholic Memorial or Xaverian in nearby Westwood, but that's a lot of money you would have to spend to get your kids into private schools - just a thought.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
West Roxbury is still the most desirable area to live within Boston. It feels more suburban and it relatively safe. Tor07 is right that the Dedham mall area isn't really all that great. However, your biggest problem would be the schools. Are you sure you can get your kids into some place like Holy Name? Usually, there are long waiting lists. As far as the high schools, your options would be an exam school like Boston Latin - but if your son isn't a good student, I don't know if that would help. There is also Catholic Memorial or Xaverian in nearby Westwood, but that's a lot of money you would have to spend to get your kids into private schools - just a thought.
casey you are correct regarding holy name. when I lived there I had to wait a year to go to holy name. I took the bus over to hyde park in 7th grade to go to St. PiusX. Way back then, if one person got into Holy Name it was alot easier for the rest to get in.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 45,083 times
Thanks for your help. I love the house so much and the back yard is the perfect size. I do like the suburb feeling and it's so close to shopping, church, everything but I am also not used to so many people and the newspaper headlines freaked me out. I went to the house one other time and did hear a gunshot one night somewhere off in the distance. I never thought about the waiting lists for the schools either, so that was a good point. If it was just my husband and I, we would move. It's a lot harder to decide being a parent.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:39 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help. I love the house so much and the back yard is the perfect size. I do like the suburb feeling and it's so close to shopping, church, everything but I am also not used to so many people and the newspaper headlines freaked me out. I went to the house one other time and did hear a gunshot one night somewhere off in the distance. I never thought about the waiting lists for the schools either, so that was a good point. If it was just my husband and I, we would move. It's a lot harder to decide being a parent.
The gun violence in Boston is nowhere near West Roxbury. Lots of Boston police officers and firefighters live there. My youngest daughter has a friend that lives there and she sleeps over her house once in a while. I wouldn't let her if I thought there was any danger. Some parts are indistinguishable from Newton, very pretty homes. It's really just the school issue.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
why don't you contact the holy name and ask them how long it would take to get into that school. also norwood is next to dedham, and maybe you could check this out also. you can read the boston globe on line also. are you going to buy the house or rent it?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
The gun violence in Boston is nowhere near West Roxbury. Lots of Boston police officers and firefighters live there. My youngest daughter has a friend that lives there and she sleeps over her house once in a while. I wouldn't let her if I thought there was any danger. Some parts are indistinguishable from Newton, very pretty homes. It's really just the school issue.
it was an irish boston catholic safe place. way cheaper than newton. and to be a firefigter, or police office you did need to live in Boston!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 14,989 times
Quote:

hey im lindsey an i love living in westroxbury im a teenager myself like your son an i know exactly where you are talking about i live on stimson st right near you an i would love to show your son around - its ok if you dont really like that idea because if you dont i totally know what you mean because you nveer met me -mabe we could set something up where me you an your son could meet because i love making new friends. and if he's worried about making new friends here he dosnt have to worry about that with me because i no every single teen here an again its cool if you wouldnt want me to show him around if you decide that that would be an okj idea just message me back --and jus so you no a little about me my name is lindsey im 17 i am white and know every where in boston so it would be easy for me to help your son
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts