Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM

12 posts, read 23,339 times

Advertisements

Coming home to Mass from the South, where $160 buys a lovely 1800 sq. ft. home, believe it or not!
Any thoughts about Haverhill which appears to be the best bet for a decent house under $270? (I see people mention the Bradford section; what about other sections that are non-urban? we like peace and quiet, need a yard for the dog, like woods/open land nearby)
Also some fixer-ups in Beverly, Gloucester seem possible... pros/cons of these towns or Rowley, Groveland etc.?
Would appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM

270 posts, read 468,485 times
First of all, congratulations for coming back to Mass. I would ruled out Beverly given the reputation for it's school system even though there are certain parts that are nice. I would pick Rowley because it has a better school district and the neighbors are less crowded. Don't forget to check this donut shop called Archie 1A which is across the post office on 1A and you also have the infamous Todd's farm flee market down the road. Hart house is also another great restaurant next door in Ipswich. In addition, you are only minutes away from Newburyport. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks for that, most people think we're crazy (snow, higher home prices) -- I should say, we're coming back to semi-retirement, schools not an issue. -- know Ipswich area well, but don't know Beverly or Haverhill, so looking for some local advice about zip codes or neighborhoods to look at online or avoid (too industrial, crime issues etc.).

Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM

541 posts, read 1,995,867 times
Check out Amesbury and Ipswich too. How about renting for a while? We rent 1/2 a house with a huge yard and it works out great.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
There's also Danvers, Wenham Hamilton. A little pricey, but good schools. Rural atmosphere.
Is your commute a concern? So many towns to choose from. Haverhill would not be my
choice.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,649,553 times
Groveland near Haverhill is pretty with rolling farmlands and gardens. I think you could find something in your range there.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks -- yes, Groveland is on the list. What do people have against Haverhill? (we'd be looking at the outlying sections, not right in town).

Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 AM

541 posts, read 1,995,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedspindletree View Post
Thanks -- yes, Groveland is on the list. What do people have against Haverhill? (we'd be looking at the outlying sections, not right in town).
My husband grew up in Haverhill and I lived there for 9 years after we met. Some areas are lovely like East Broawdway, near Millvale Reservoir and near Merrimack (the Whittier Birthplace, Kenoza Vending area.) Near Riverside can be OK too. You will pay a lot more for these areas though. The downtown keeps trying to bring things in. Several restaurants (Kruegers Flatbread-yum) and bars (The Tap is good) now. Still lots of lower income type things right downtown though. I always see homeless type people when we visit. It is rough around the edges in some areas. Beautiful huge old homes in many spots. I would not want to live there though. It has been a little depressed to me lately.

As far as Groveland I would never live there either. I heard there was a lot of pollution from A.W. Chesterton Co. (lots of Cancer around that area.)

Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 AM

That's very helpful re: Haverhill and Groveland (I checked it - looks like Groveland Wells is a superfund site too). Will have to be alert!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedspindletree View Post
Thanks for that, most people think we're crazy (snow, higher home prices) -- I should say, we're coming back to semi-retirement, schools not an issue. -- know Ipswich area well, but don't know Beverly or Haverhill, so looking for some local advice about zip codes or neighborhoods to look at online or avoid (too industrial, crime issues etc.).
If semi-retirement is the situation, I think you're making the right choice. A recent study found the Boston area to be one of the best places for retirees to live in the country, weather notwithstanding. Why? Because the health care options are far and away some of the best in the country. And, they'll certainly be better than Tennessee [but I'll assume you already knew that ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts